Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Bladder Leakage??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bladder Leakage??

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom on 8/16/2011, 10:32 am

I posted a while back about some mysterious wet spots appearing in the middle of the night on our sheets, and chalked it up to LuLu going lick-crazy in the middle of the night. Well, once last week and again last night we've had some more, quite large, spots. Both times LuLu has been laying in these spots, almost as if she's peeing while she's sleeping and doesn't realize it. I only wake up to her moving to get out of the spot-and her whole side is soaked. This morning we actually got up, changed the bedding, and then woke up 2 hours later to another spot.
I checked her urine this morning and it was slightly on the acidic side, no blood.
I found one random spot on the couch one time, but I'm pretty sure that was actually a lick-spot. These large spots have only happened in the middle of the night, and no other accidents in the house.

We have a vet appt tonight anyway for titers, so I will get a fresh urine sample and take it with me.
Other than a C&S to see if there's any infection, what tests would I ask/expect them to run?

She's only 5 1/2, she was spayed around 6 months, could this be the beginning of the loss of bladder control?
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Re: Bladder Leakage??

Post  dieselsmom on 8/16/2011, 1:01 pm

Becky, if it's not any sort of infection, I think post-spay incontinence is pretty common. Doesn't mean she's lost total bladder control, but the muscles in her bladder might not be tight enough to hold it closed when she's sleeping. Grace takes Proin and has taken it for several years now because she leaks in her sleep. We recently upped her dosage a little because she was starting to leak in her sleep again. I do believe Proin is pretty harmless to take long-term.
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch on 8/16/2011, 1:06 pm

dieselsmom wrote:Becky, if it's not any sort of infection, I think post-spay incontinence is pretty common. Doesn't mean she's lost total bladder control, but the muscles in her bladder might not be tight enough to hold it closed when she's sleeping. Grace takes Proin and has taken it for several years now because she leaks in her sleep. We recently upped her dosage a little because she was starting to leak in her sleep again. I do believe Proin is pretty harmless to take long-term.
spay incontinence would be my guess as well.

Here's a bit of a blurb on it:

http://dreambarks.com/incontinence.html
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom on 8/16/2011, 2:19 pm

dieselsmom wrote:Becky, if it's not any sort of infection, I think post-spay incontinence is pretty common. Doesn't mean she's lost total bladder control, but the muscles in her bladder might not be tight enough to hold it closed when she's sleeping. Grace takes Proin and has taken it for several years now because she leaks in her sleep. We recently upped her dosage a little because she was starting to leak in her sleep again. I do believe Proin is pretty harmless to take long-term.

Was Grace only leaking in her sleep, Rachel? I know muscles relax when you sleep, so it would make sense that I'm not seeing any other spots during the day-maybe she doesn't sleep as deeply during the day as she does at night...?

northernwitch wrote:
spay incontinence would be my guess as well.

Here's a bit of a blurb on it:

http://dreambarks.com/incontinence.html

Thank you, Blanche. (I liked the part about teaching dogs kegels Razz)
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom on 8/16/2011, 2:50 pm

Grace leaked just about anytime. A lot of times if she sat down or laid down somewhere, she'd leave a wet spot. It happened more often and in larger quantity when she was sleeping. But it wasn't limited to only when she slept. But remember, Grace had many, many litters, so I'd imagine hers would be worse than a dog who's never been bred.
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 on 8/16/2011, 3:20 pm

Duke leaked in his sleep when we first got him. All of the time & a lot. He had an allergic reaction to Proin so I've had him on a natural supplement for a couple of years now. It's worked pretty well for him. He only leaks a little bit once in a while now.

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Only-Natural-Pet-Canine-Bladder-Control/999038.aspx
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch on 8/16/2011, 4:00 pm

No advice to add to the excellent stuff already given so I'll just add my support in hoping you find a solution.
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom on 8/16/2011, 7:54 pm

The sample I took in this afternoon was pretty diluted but otherwise looked good. Bloodwork showed kidney function is fine. I'll take another urine sample in first thing tomorrow morning just to make sure there wasn't an infection hiding in the diluted urine, but then we'll probably start her on Proin, or try the supplement Brenda suggested.

Thank you everyone!!
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Back to top Go down

Post  thminis on 8/16/2011, 10:35 pm

I think our vets makes sure bloodwork is done on a certain schedule with proin, but I'm not 100% what trends they're looking for when they do that. Either way, I know a lot of dogs who are on Proin (or PPA) and are doing great. Good luck with her!
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top