Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gracie's allergies and Emma's dental

5 posters

Go down

Gracie's allergies and Emma's dental Empty Gracie's allergies and Emma's dental

Post  GracieNEmma 8/30/2011, 3:35 pm

Hi everyone! Some of you know that I've been having a heck of a time with Gracie and her skin. We had it all under control for about 2 months with no problems at all. I gave her a bath on Sunday and did not see or feel anything on her skin. Friday, all of a sudden, she has 4 scab like sores on her back. Called the vet and she is on another round of antibiotics. I don't want to keep giving her the antibiotics so after this, I'll have to figure something out. For those that have dealt with allergies (Blanche!!!!!!), is this normal or common for them to go a couple of months with out any issues and then all of a sudden they pop up? The only thing I can think of that it could be is I may have accidentally mixed up her and Emma's food. I may have given Gracie chicken instead of duck. I'm not 100% sure and if it did happen, it was only one morning. I'm not even sure if she is allergic to chicken but if she is, would just one meal cause her to get these sores in a matter of a couple of days? And, what can I do for her when (if) this happens again? Any suggestions? I'm running out of ideas on A)what she's allergic to and B)how I'm going to keep it under control and not have to resort to antibiotics every time.

Emma goes in for a dental next Wednesday and I'm already a nervous wreck. So, please keep her and I in your thoughts and prayers. I hate doing this (like all of you) but I know it has to be done. I have anxiety already and it's still a week away. Gracie's allergies and Emma's dental 9386

And, we are leaving for vacation in a week and a half. My first time ever going out of the country. I'm excited about going but I hate leaving them....I know they'll be fine but still, I don't like doing it. And this is going to be really hard for me because we'll be so far away and very limited in the ability to call and check in all the time. I'm a worry wart...can you tell? Again....... Gracie's allergies and Emma's dental 9386

ETA: For those of you that are friends with me on FB....the vacation is a secret from certain members of DH's family so please don't say anything. I know this sounds absolutely ridiculous that I have to even ask to keep it quiet but if you knew DH's mom...you'd understand. Very Happy
GracieNEmma
GracieNEmma

Number of posts : 1065

Back to top Go down

Gracie's allergies and Emma's dental Empty Re: Gracie's allergies and Emma's dental

Post  TxAllieGrl 8/30/2011, 4:04 pm

Darcie- have you had Gracie allergy-tested? You know how they do with humans the spot test? I'd think that would be a last resort if you aren't sure what it is she's allergic to, and you've tried all of the elimination methods.

Will send many, many good thoughts for Emma's dental!

Where did you guys decide to go on your trip?? FYI - the international data charges are pretty reasonable if your sitter can text you updates. And/or look for the internet cafes and check in via email.

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Gracie's allergies and Emma's dental Empty Re: Gracie's allergies and Emma's dental

Post  Aussie Witch 8/30/2011, 4:09 pm

Hi Darci, I have no experience with food allergies so hopefully Blanche will jump in. I'm sorry Gracie is having an issue when it seemed to be under control. And a ton of good thoughts for Emma's dental!
How tedious for you and hubby that you have to keep things under wraps with vacation destinations! Your MIL must be a real pain in the arse. Have a wonderful time!
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 8/30/2011, 5:37 pm

Soory--I've been a tad distracted between the renos and Gregory.

It's likely a staph infection--Tank gets these things every once in a while. Are they crusty scabs that come off with hair attached? If so it's probably staph.

My vet and I treated his with antibiotics, but after a couple of good arounds --meds, then new crusties, more meds, new crusties. I went to my homeo vet and she felt that it was more about his immune system than his allergies. She suggested I really kick up his fish oil--to 3 or 4 times the recommended dosage--and add an immuno support to his diet. I have used this one:

http://www.drugs.com/vet/rx-vitamins-immuno-support-can.html

I've had pretty decent success with it, but I use it sparingly and he also gets Holistic Blend Seagreens Powder. If he's really itchy, I soak him in decaffeinated green tea and/or use the warm tea bags topically.

Because he's immune compromised from the prior massive doses of prednisone, his body doesn't automatically fight off infections. And staph is an example. It's one everyone's skin, but in Tank, it occasionally flares up, particularly when his other allergies (seasonal particularly) are acting up.

I rarely bathe him as he is also prone to yeast and yeast loves to be wet.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GracieNEmma 8/31/2011, 2:34 pm

TxAllieGrl wrote:Darcie- have you had Gracie allergy-tested? You know how they do with humans the spot test? I'd think that would be a last resort if you aren't sure what it is she's allergic to, and you've tried all of the elimination methods.

Will send many, many good thoughts for Emma's dental!

Where did you guys decide to go on your trip?? FYI - the international data charges are pretty reasonable if your sitter can text you updates. And/or look for the internet cafes and check in via email.

Hi Allie, we did talk to our vet about allergy testing so if she has another flare up, that will be our next course of action. Thanks for the well wishes for Emma. As far as our vacay, we were aiming for Italy but we talked to hubby's uncle last night and the flights are getting full (we have to fly standby). So, it's not out of the question but we are looking at London now as there are many seats still available for that flight. Ireland is out of the question as it is sold out. I'll be happy where ever we go but this is what stinks about flying standby...you never know until last minute. Thanks for the info on the international text plan. I'm going to look in to that. We'll do that or get a calling card.

Aussie Witch wrote:
How tedious for you and hubby that you have to keep things under wraps with vacation destinations! Your MIL must be a real pain in the arse. Have a wonderful time!

Rona, she is the biggest pain in the butt I think I've ever dealt with. She is a very jealous person. She acts like she is the nicest person in the world and then goes and talks and stabs you in the back. If she found out we were going with DH's uncle (her brother), we'd never hear the end of it. Gracie's allergies and Emma's dental 253213

northernwitch wrote:Soory--I've been a tad distracted between the renos and Gregory.

It's likely a staph infection--Tank gets these things every once in a while. Are they crusty scabs that come off with hair attached? If so it's probably staph.

My vet and I treated his with antibiotics, but after a couple of good arounds --meds, then new crusties, more meds, new crusties. I went to my homeo vet and she felt that it was more about his immune system than his allergies. She suggested I really kick up his fish oil--to 3 or 4 times the recommended dosage--and add an immuno support to his diet. I have used this one:

http://www.drugs.com/vet/rx-vitamins-immuno-support-can.html

I've had pretty decent success with it, but I use it sparingly and he also gets Holistic Blend Seagreens Powder. If he's really itchy, I soak him in decaffeinated green tea and/or use the warm tea bags topically.

Because he's immune compromised from the prior massive doses of prednisone, his body doesn't automatically fight off infections. And staph is an example. It's one everyone's skin, but in Tank, it occasionally flares up, particularly when his other allergies (seasonal particularly) are acting up.

I rarely bathe him as he is also prone to yeast and yeast loves to be wet.

Last time her fur started to fall out and that's when we noticed she had scabs. I think I may have caught it early this time. They are scabby but her fur isn't falling out like it was last time and they aren't red or infected looking. And she hasn't been itchy at all but of course, she is on Claratin once a day. I wonder if I can get that medicine here in the states. ??? As far as fish oil, I was only giving it to them 3x a week but bumped it up to once a day. Think I should give it to her twice a day? Is the Holistic Blen Seagreen Powder like, say, the stuff Solid Gold sells? I was giving her that kind of stuff but it had chicken flavor in it so I had to stop. I do remember you saying last time about the tea bags. Thankfully she's not itchy but I'll keep that in mind. Thanks again so much for your input, I appreciate it!!
GracieNEmma
GracieNEmma

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 8/31/2011, 3:19 pm

Tank gets fish oil (Noble's Herring oil) everyday with every meal. I don't use salmon oil as he reacts to salmon.

Here are the ingredients in the Seagreens powder and so far, Tank hasn't had a reaction. I give it four times a week:

INGREDIENTS: Dried seaweed (19 different types),
dehydrated bioflavonoids, ground flax meal, beta-carotene, chlorophyll,
complex vitamin B, digestive enzymes, probiotics.

Staph infection scabs don't have any colour--just pale yellow scabs that when you pull on them come off, but with hair attached. Only in a severe case does the hair start to fall out in a noticeable manner.

Good luck!
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 8/31/2011, 3:21 pm

I have used the sea greens product from B-Naturals. It is a good price, and was easier for me to get in the US. I think Brenda has used it too. You can order it online. They sell the fish oil, the sea greens, and immune boosters / support.

B-Naturals is run by Lew Olsen, the author of Raw and Natural Nutrition.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  GracieNEmma 9/1/2011, 11:02 am

Renee wrote:I have used the sea greens product from B-Naturals. It is a good price, and was easier for me to get in the US. I think Brenda has used it too. You can order it online. They sell the fish oil, the sea greens, and immune boosters / support.

B-Naturals is run by Lew Olsen, the author of Raw and Natural Nutrition.

I was using the Daily Blend from B Naturals but had to stop giving it to Gracie because it had chicken flavor in it. I remember reading about the Sea Greens...I'll go check them out again. Thanks for the reminder that they have that!! I love B Naturals!!
GracieNEmma
GracieNEmma

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 9/2/2011, 11:09 am

The other thing to think about with the recurring staph infections--if that's what it is--is to make sure that dog beds get cleaned regularly--like at least one a week and better if it's more often. It's why I started putting baby crib sheets on all my dog beds so all I'd have to do is remove the crib sheet to clean. They can reinfect themselves from the beds. Not a problem with a dog that has resistance, but is a problem for a dog that gets recurring infections.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down