Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about fles/tick/internal parasite products

3 posters

Go down

Question about fles/tick/internal parasite products Empty Question about fles/tick/internal parasite products

Post  Buddy's Mom 9/2/2011, 5:55 pm

I have been using Frontline Plus and Interceptor now for a while on my gang. I'm curious if anyone knows of a product that covers fleas, ticks, heartworm and whipworms in a pill form? It must have been from the previous owners of our home that we ended up with whipworms. So to prevent future attacks we have to give them interceptor. Also having a problem with ticks in the past we worry about Lyme, because we are in an area where it exists. I would love to go all natural but unfortunately the little buggers are here and not going away. We hate the Frontline because they all have a single coat and it runs and is wet forever! Any suggestions? Question about fles/tick/internal parasite products 335895
Buddy's Mom
Buddy's Mom

Number of posts : 218

Back to top Go down

Question about fles/tick/internal parasite products Empty Re: Question about fles/tick/internal parasite products

Post  MandyPug 9/2/2011, 5:58 pm

K9 Advantix is the only preventative that kills ticks before they bite. However it's toxic to cats (pretty much everything is toxic to cats...) so if you have cats it might not be a good idea. It is the BEST for ticks though.

Not sure about the rest (hope someone can chime in on it). We don't have heart worm here or really ticks.
MandyPug
MandyPug

Number of posts : 830

Back to top Go down

Question about fles/tick/internal parasite products Empty Re: Question about fles/tick/internal parasite products

Post  smoochieface 9/2/2011, 6:28 pm

There is a new product called Trifexis (spinosad + milbemycin oxime). It's a once-a-month pill that prevents heartworm, kills fleas, and treats intestinal worms all in one. It's prescription only. My vet charges about $115 for a 6 month supply which is a little less than what you pay for Interceptor and Frontline Plus separately. I just picked some up from my vet but haven't used it yet because I still have a box of Interceptor left.

I'm not sure about ticks although my vet did say that Trifexis was designed to replace the Frontline/Interceptor combination. www.trifexis.com
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Buddy's Mom 9/2/2011, 7:03 pm

smoochieface wrote:There is a new product called Trifexis (spinosad + milbemycin oxime). It's a once-a-month pill that prevents heartworm, kills fleas, and treats intestinal worms all in one. It's prescription only. My vet charges about $115 for a 6 month supply which is a little less than what you pay for Interceptor and Frontline Plus separately. I just picked some up from my vet but haven't used it yet because I still have a box of Interceptor left.

I'm not sure about ticks although my vet did say that Trifexis was designed to replace the Frontline/Interceptor combination. www.trifexis.com

I have heard of this product through commercials. I am liking the idea of it. I have a spray that is all natural and consists of organic oils to prevent fleas and ticks that can be used in conjunction with pesticides. It is said to last 6 weeks because of the oil content.

We haven't seen a tick this year since we ripped out 4 Forsythia bushes from our backyard in the spring. They were the only thing that "hung down" and all the Pugs liked to potty in them. Before we took them out we were seeing at least one every time they came in and I mean per Pug. Heebie jeebie!!!

So maybe with both this new pill and the spray (which stinks like very strong clove) for the warm months we can get by. I just hate the Frontline Plus because it doesn't soak in. We have to plan on putting it on when we're going to be outside for a couple of hours with the Pugs. And then I have to remember and remind everyone else not to touch them there, which is difficult. It is also toxic to cats and we have 4. So that's another deal there.

Sophie has an appt. to be spayed (finally after her false pregnancy) on the 19th, I will discuss it then. Thanks for letting me know about it.
Buddy's Mom
Buddy's Mom

Number of posts : 218

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down