Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Greek Yogurt for tear stains?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Greek Yogurt for tear stains?

Post  sallyandtilly on 9/5/2011, 6:17 pm

Has anyone given their pug Greek yogurt for tear stains? I've just been reading up on it. Also some say use powered buttermilk.
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Re: Greek Yogurt for tear stains?

Post  northernwitch on 9/5/2011, 6:20 pm

Do they eat it or do you apply it topically (sorry, it's a dumb question, sort of)
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda on 9/5/2011, 6:52 pm

Haven't tried it but my only question would be whether the protein level (higher than regular yogurt) would be an issue.

Amanda, mom to Nell, Lucy & Ava
www.littlebeanshop.etsy.com
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly on 9/5/2011, 7:15 pm

They eat it.
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt on 9/5/2011, 9:08 pm

Penny gets plain fat free Greek yogurt with her meals, and does well with it. When she runs out and I have to use plain fat free regular yogurt, I get grumbled at.Rolling Eyes
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered on 9/6/2011, 9:49 am

Mine get great big globs of Natural Greek Yogurt every third day and sometimes more often but I haven't found that it clears up those with tear stains. I guess it probably depends on which bacteria are making civilisations in the moist fur where the tears run.

I think mine have the red variety, when I notice them getting bad I apply an astringent antiseptic anti fungal (yep the home made ear/nose roll cleaner again) twice a day to the affected areas and it's gone in about three or four days - at least until the next time they choose to run their faces through mud puddles or whatever they do...
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch on 9/6/2011, 10:09 am

Puggered wrote:Mine get great big globs of Natural Greek Yogurt every third day and sometimes more often but I haven't found that it clears up those with tear stains. I guess it probably depends on which bacteria are making civilisations in the moist fur where the tears run.

I think mine have the red variety, when I notice them getting bad I apply an astringent antiseptic anti fungal (yep the home made ear/nose roll cleaner again) twice a day to the affected areas and it's gone in about three or four days - at least until the next time they choose to run their faces through mud puddles or whatever they do...
Angela:
Did you post that recipe somewhere? The only one I have has gentian violet in it and I don't want to trade red/brown staining for purple (although it's my favourite colour....)
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered on 9/6/2011, 10:36 am

LOL Blanche! What a visual!Laughing

Here it is again:

1/3rd cup rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alchohol)
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/3rd cup Witch Hazel (health food stores)
about 10 drops of Tea Tree Oil

Been using it for years. I think the recipe came via Hilary originally.

Last edited by Puggered on 9/6/2011, 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To ditch those extra paragraph line spaces grrrrrrrr)
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top