Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Need help please

Go down

Need help please

Post  amyw76 on 9/8/2011, 3:36 pm

(I have taken him to a vet, but want your opinions)

I have a 13 week old pug. He has had his shots.
A couple of weeks ago, we thought he may have Parvo, but by the next
day, he was fine. Thought maybe he ate something that didn't agree with
him. On Tuesday morning, this week, my daughter noticed him shivering.
I picked him up and loved on him and he laid on the couch with me all
day. Wouldn't play, wouldn't eat...nothing. Wed. morning, I put him at
the water dish and he did a quick couple of circles, drank some water,
couple more circles and went pee. I didn't really think much of it, but
then he went into his crate and laid down, this pug DOES NOT go into
his crate willingly, ever. He stayed in there for a while, and I got
him out to love on him. I put him on the floor and could tell that
something was wrong. All he could do was walk in circles. My poor baby
couldn't walk straight at all. I took him to the vet and she took his
temp, it was slightly elevated, but not enough to be worried about. She
didn't do bloodwork (my fault there, I didn't have that kind of cash
yesterday) but thinks it's either trauma and brain injury (haven't seen
him get hurt), something with his liver (can't remember what it was
called) or Canine meningitis. She did give him a steroid shot and some
antibiotics. I want to know what yall think. If it was the liver or
meningitis, wouldn't his temp have been up high? Also, both of those
would cause seizures, from what I've been able to find on the net, and
he hasn't had any seizures. He's still walking in cirlces today, but
not quite as bad, and he does want attention and loving, he didn't want
that yesterday. He's drank some water and he's eaten some, once I held
the bowl to where he could get to it. I'm so worried about my pug baby!


Number of posts : 1
Location : Fort Campbell, KY

Back to top Go down

Re: Need help please

Post  northernwitch on 9/8/2011, 3:42 pm

It could be a liver shunt which would not increase his temp. Neither would Pug Dog Encephalitis. I don't know about other forms of encephalitis/meningitis.

At his age, he can get very sick very fast and dehydration is an issue when he's that young. You probably shouldn't take a wait and see approach to this. If it is a shunt he will need a fair bit of costly diagnostic work and likely surgery.

If it's PDE, it will progress--maybe quickly and maybe not depending on the form of encephalitis it is.

I'm very sorry that you are having to deal with this--especially with a new puppy. Whatever is going on, he needs bloodwork--if it is a liver shunt there will be a marked increase in his liver enzymes and liver shunt CAN have neurological symptoms--it's called hepatic encephalopathy.

You should be prepared for the fact that this may run you several thousand dollars to diagnose and treat--depending on what the diagnosis is.

You should also let the breeder from whom you got him know what's going on.

Number of posts : 11031
Location : Toronto, Ontario


Back to top Go down

Re: Need help please

Post  Renee on 9/8/2011, 3:59 pm

I can only repeat what Blanche has told you.

Bloodwork really is the first diagnostic step and I urge you to get it done.

Just because you have not seen a for certain seizure does not mean that he has not or will not have one. Seizures can be very hard to detect, especially when one is not looking for them. They will not always be obvious with convulsing or passing out. Sometimes they can be very, very subtle.

Number of posts : 5694
Location : Anchorage Alaska


Back to top Go down

Re: Need help please

Post  Aussie Witch on 9/8/2011, 6:29 pm

I am so very sorry you are going through this with a new, baby puppy. I also completely agree with what Blanche has said, your little guy needs URGENT intensive care and a vet that will not stop until a diagnosis us made. Unfortunately there IS going to be not unsubstantial costs involved and if money is tight you might have to look at ways of raising the cash. You do need to be in contact with the breeder. Young pups go downhill so fast they have nothing in reserve. Please get him to an ER vet tonight.

The very best wishes for the little guy. Please let us know how he gets on.
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556
Location : The Antipodes.

Back to top Go down

Re: Need help please

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum