Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Question about Stewie's sight

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Question about Stewie's sight

Post  Guest on 9/10/2011, 8:44 am

He can see just fine but something is off, the first day we had him home he walked right into a closed screen door, then a small step stool. I didn't think to much of it but then the next day I was holding out a treat and calling him to come, he ran right up to me and boom ran right into my hand like he didn't see it.

It seems like his perception is off, I was calling him from my office while he was in the hallway, I was looking right at him but he could not figure out where my voice was coming from, I watched him go into the bathroom, then come in the office right past me only to turn around and then realize I was there.

He seems to hear and see fine so I am stumped at what is up.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Question about Stewie's sight

Post  puglover22 on 9/10/2011, 2:00 pm

I think I'd take him to an eye specialist and see if they can tell you anything.
avatar
puglover22
 
 

Number of posts : 608
Location : chicago

Back to top Go down

Re: Question about Stewie's sight

Post  Guest on 9/10/2011, 2:29 pm

puglover22 wrote:I think I'd take him to an eye specialist and see if they can tell you anything.



Yea I will, just thought maybe someone had some insight on it, it's so odd.

He is on drops for dry eyes but other than that he seems to see just fine.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Question about Stewie's sight

Post  Aussie Witch on 9/10/2011, 3:21 pm

He might have PK that is covering the middle of his eyes. It's amazing how mobile and active a dog can be with very little sight. Definitely a visit with an ophthalmologist is in order. And I know no matter what level his vision is at, he'll do extremely well in your care!
avatar
Aussie Witch
 
 

Number of posts : 8556
Location : The Antipodes.

Back to top Go down

Re: Question about Stewie's sight

Post  Pugsaunt on 9/10/2011, 3:34 pm

PK was my first thought, too, with a suggestion to make a trip to the eye dogtor. And, as Rona said, he will be just fine with you.
avatar
Pugsaunt
 
 

Number of posts : 6877
Location : On the shores of Penny's Marina in Sparks, NV

Back to top Go down

Re: Question about Stewie's sight

Post  Guest on 9/10/2011, 4:13 pm

I think Jana told me he did have PK, but I just thought that was dry eye, that is what the drops said its for.



oh and thanks for the vote of confidence!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Question about Stewie's sight

Post  Pugsaunt on 9/10/2011, 4:49 pm

Are the drops Tacrolimus or Optimmune? Those are the ones for PK. If they are, I'd be getting some Genteal gel (for severe dry eye, it says on the package) and put that in every time you think about it, at the very least wait 5 minutes after the drops and put a little blop in each eye. Penny doesn't fight me at all, maybe because when she first came home with me, we did the treat-drop-treat, treat-blop-treat thing. Now she just holds still and sighs like the weight of the world was on her.



And there is no question in my mind that Stewie and you and Viv are going to thrive together!!!!
avatar
Pugsaunt
 
 

Number of posts : 6877
Location : On the shores of Penny's Marina in Sparks, NV

Back to top Go down

Re: Question about Stewie's sight

Post  Amanda on 9/10/2011, 5:26 pm

Nell has bad PK from untreated ulcers before we got her. Not much we could have done to reverse it. She sees perfectly fine to function in every day life but definitely doesn't see wonderfully. She's been known to walk into things but doesn't do it very often. Sounds like it could be a depth perception issue.

***********************
Amanda, mom to Nell, Lucy & Ava
www.littlebeanshop.etsy.com
avatar
Amanda
 

Number of posts : 6990
Location : Maryland

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Question about Stewie's sight

Post  Guest on 9/10/2011, 6:06 pm

Pugsaunt wrote:Are the drops Tacrolimus or Optimmune? Those are the ones for PK. If they are, I'd be getting some Genteal gel (for severe dry eye, it says on the package) and put that in every time you think about it, at the very least wait 5 minutes after the drops and put a little blop in each eye. Penny doesn't fight me at all, maybe because when she first came home with me, we did the treat-drop-treat, treat-blop-treat thing. Now she just holds still and sighs like the weight of the world was on her.
And there is no question in my mind that Stewie and you and Viv are going to thrive together!!!!



They are Cyclosporine. I have another apt with the vet for Lyme shots, I'll have ask her what her thoughts are.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Question about Stewie's sight

Post  Guest on 9/10/2011, 6:07 pm

Amanda wrote:Nell has bad PK from untreated ulcers before we got her. Not much we could have done to reverse it. She sees perfectly fine to function in every day life but definitely doesn't see wonderfully. She's been known to walk into things but doesn't do it very often. Sounds like it could be a depth perception issue.



This sounds like Stewie, he can see fine but is bumping into things!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Question about Stewie's sight

Post  Guest on 9/11/2011, 1:27 pm

OK, so this was odd, this morning he was standing int the hallway looking into my bedroom because he thought I was in there, I was down the hall about 12ft a straight shot from where he standing. I was calling him but he could not not figure out where my voice was coming from, he keep on looking into my room like I was there but I was directly behind him.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Question about Stewie's sight

Post  Pugsaunt on 9/11/2011, 2:27 pm

Donna wrote:
Pugsaunt wrote:Are the drops Tacrolimus or Optimmune? Those are the ones for PK. If they are, I'd be getting some Genteal gel (for severe dry eye, it says on the package) and put that in every time you think about it, at the very least wait 5 minutes after the drops and put a little blop in each eye. Penny doesn't fight me at all, maybe because when she first came home with me, we did the treat-drop-treat, treat-blop-treat thing. Now she just holds still and sighs like the weight of the world was on her.
And there is no question in my mind that Stewie and you and Viv are going to thrive together!!!!
They are Cyclosporine. I have another apt with the vet for Lyme shots, I'll have ask her what her thoughts are.
Yup, PK.

Donna wrote:OK, so this was odd, this morning he was standing int the hallway looking into my bedroom because he thought I was in there, I was down the hall about 12ft a straight shot from where he standing. I was calling him but he could not not figure out where my voice was coming from, he keep on looking into my room like I was there but I was directly behind him.
My take is that his straight-ahead field of vision is covered by the pigment, and he has good peripheral vision. Penny's vision is like that, and she gets around fine (mostly). Huge hugs to you and to Stewie.
avatar
Pugsaunt
 
 

Number of posts : 6877
Location : On the shores of Penny's Marina in Sparks, NV

Back to top Go down

Re: Question about Stewie's sight

Post  ayleash on 9/11/2011, 6:06 pm

Aaawwww. Silly Stewie... I think Viv is going to step in and be his guide pug!

Maybe?
avatar
ayleash
 
 

Number of posts : 1496
Location : Boston, MA

Back to top Go down

Re: Question about Stewie's sight

Post  puglover22 on 9/11/2011, 10:13 pm

that's strange Donna.....now I'm wondering about his hearing....

does he react to your voice, or sounds from behind him at all?
avatar
puglover22
 
 

Number of posts : 608
Location : chicago

Back to top Go down

Re: Question about Stewie's sight

Post  Guest on 9/12/2011, 6:16 am

puglover22 wrote:that's strange Donna.....now I'm wondering about his hearing....

does he react to your voice, or sounds from behind him at all?



I thought of that also but he seems to hear just fine. When I was calling him from behind I could see his head react to see where my voice was coming from, he just couldn't figure out it was behind him just a few feet away.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Question about Stewie's sight

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum