Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Scratching and hair loss

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Scratching and hair loss

Post  juneau hunter on 9/14/2011, 9:42 am

For the last couple of weeks I have noticed that Zorro is scratching a lot and he has hair loss (evenly) on his belly and armpits/legpit. He does this mostly at bedtime when he is starting to settle down for the night and sometimes through the day just before he goes into nap zone. He also has the occassional scratch throughout the day. However, when he starts scratching, he really goes to town.

I have given him Benadryl and I think it helps a bit, but not completely.

I am assuming that it is a food allergy? I called the vet today and he will be going in this afternoon. Does he need to see a vet to diagnose this or can I start treating it on my own?

He is eating Acana (Wild Prairie) and has been eatiing this since February. Only recently has the scratching started.

Any advise would be appreciated.
juneau hunter

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Re: Scratching and hair loss

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 on 9/14/2011, 10:42 am

I would bet its more environmental than food in your case. He's been on the food and the itching only recently started. Bella has allergies and they are very seasonal. I keep her on a very low dose of Temaril P to keep the itchies away, otherwise she would drive us all nuts.
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee on 9/14/2011, 12:21 pm

I agree with Marci, this sounds more environmental than food related. Of course, if he is getting treats, those could trigger too, especially if the treats are new or have other stuff in them that he is allergic to.

You'll want to stop the habit of the itching. If he is allowed to itch as much as he wants, it could become just as much a habit and anything else. I have had a foster that had allergies, and even after he was all cleared up, he was still a dedicated licker. I had to work on that constantly telling him to "quit that licking".

Is his skin red or broken? Do you see a rash?

Get some meds from the vet to help... but, don't let them convince you to put him on the science diet stuff. Rolling Eyes
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch on 9/14/2011, 12:42 pm

Yeah, I'd be inclined to think seasonal, but you could try the Acana Pacifica and see if the itching abates. I'd also make sure that there isn't anything else that could be causing it--new cleaner or detergent?
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  juneau hunter on 9/14/2011, 2:22 pm

Renee wrote:I agree with Marci, this sounds more environmental than food related. Of course, if he is getting treats, those could trigger too, especially if the treats are new or have other stuff in them that he is allergic to.

You'll want to stop the habit of the itching. If he is allowed to itch as much as he wants, it could become just as much a habit and anything else. I have had a foster that had allergies, and even after he was all cleared up, he was still a dedicated licker. I had to work on that constantly telling him to "quit that licking".

Is his skin red or broken? Do you see a rash?

Get some meds from the vet to help... but, don't let them convince you to put him on the science diet stuff. Rolling Eyes

His skin is not red or broken. He did have a rash but since giving him the benadryl, this cleared it up. During the summer he had itchies on his face and the benadryl clearned that up.

I have a friend that is a dedicated science diet advocate and I've already shown her the info I have from PA, so I won't be going down that manipulative path.

northernwitch wrote:Yeah, I'd be inclined to think seasonal, but you could try the Acana Pacifica and see if the itching abates. I'd also make sure that there isn't anything else that could be causing it--new cleaner or detergent?

I can't think of anything that would be different. I use the same laundry detergent and he sleeps in the same place. I'm super fussy about treats so they usually don't have too many of these. I guess I will find out more at the vet and I will let you know what they say!
juneau hunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt on 9/14/2011, 2:51 pm

Everything crossed and a prayer that your little black devil's itchies are easily fixed.
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira on 9/14/2011, 4:01 pm

Has it been rainy there lately? A long shot, but the rain makes something grow that makes my pugs itchy.
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  juneau hunter on 9/14/2011, 7:38 pm

Well Zorro had a very thorough check up! He was tested for mites and 2 types of mange - all negative. She didn't think he had any of this but she wanted to rule it out. She concluded that he has a skin infection of some type due to the red bumps with a bit of pus at the end. She prescribed Cephalex for 14 days and Vanetcyl P (a steroid and an antihistamine). I take him back in 14 days and we will go from there. He was weighed and is 14.6 lbs!!! He was 9 lbs when he got neutered in April, so he is growing into a nice sturdy boy!

However...

He was so rotten at the vets! He was barking at the vet like she was a terrorist!! If she got to close though he would start madly licking her face! He was wiggly and did a pugtona in the examining room. He was doing his "beagle impersonation" - in which he runs around with his nose to the ground sniffing like a crazy person! Oh yeah....he was a real shit head!Rolling Eyes
juneau hunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee on 9/14/2011, 7:47 pm

juneau hunter wrote:
He was so rotten at the vets! He was barking at the vet like she was a terrorist!! If she got to close though he would start madly licking her face! He was wiggly and did a pugtona in the examining room. He was doing his "beagle impersonation" - in which he runs around with his nose to the ground sniffing like a crazy person! Oh yeah....he was a real shit head!Rolling Eyes

Haha, Zorro sounds hysterical!!

Be lucky he isn't like my Tobey. She can't visit the vet's office without taking a crap in the waiting room 2 minutes after we get there!
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt on 9/14/2011, 7:54 pm

Sounds like a black pug at the dogtor! Glad that it is something fixable, and that all the tests were negative.
Pugsaunt

Back to top Go down

Post  juneau hunter on 9/14/2011, 8:21 pm

Renee wrote:
juneau hunter wrote:

Be lucky he isn't like my Tobey. She can't visit the vet's office without taking a crap in the waiting room 2 minutes after we get there!

When we were in the waiting room he spotted a very small poodle sitting on her mama's lap. He did his "I'm a lion and hear me roar" impression and the woman said "oh my....Coco is afraid of big dogs" HUH???? What kind of hallucinogenics was she on???? I mean...really...Zorro thinks he is a big dog...but did she see a big dog???
juneau hunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt on 9/14/2011, 8:27 pm

juneau hunter wrote:
Renee wrote:
juneau hunter wrote:

When we were in the waiting room he spotted a very small poodle sitting on her mama's lap. He did his "I'm a lion and hear me roar" impression and the woman said "oh my....Coco is afraid of big dogs" HUH???? What kind of hallucinogenics was she on???? I mean...really...Zorro thinks he is a big dog...but did she see a big dog???
Well, Penny thinks she is a rottweiler in a pug suit.
Pugsaunt

Back to top Go down

Post  juneau hunter on 9/14/2011, 8:30 pm

Ohhhh....and the best part of the visit was the bill...only $153 and 90% covered by his pet insurance!
juneau hunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top