Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Experience with these brands?

+13
MommaJones
leslyeb
Amy
MackandMattiesMom
Newsie96
northernwitch
GingerSnap
Miss Pugg
Pugs4me
dieselsmom
LisaIzzyAggy
Sara
Amanda
17 posters

Go down

Experience with these brands? Empty Experience with these brands?

Post  Amanda 4/2/2009, 10:18 pm

I'm ready to make a food switch. Does anyone have experience with Before Grain kibble?

Edited to add: Just realized it's a part of Merrick

How about the Innova EVO red meat? I've used regular EVO and I know it's rich. This is supposed to be a "close to raw" kibble, with cartilage, bone, etc. Not much other "stuff" in it.
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Experience with these brands? Empty Re: Experience with these brands?

Post  Sara 4/3/2009, 1:02 am

I feed my cat the Innova EVO for kitties and he does great on it, sorry I am not much help otherwise.
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 4/3/2009, 7:43 am

I've never fed my dogs Merrick but I do have a good friend in Amarillo, TX who goes to the same church as the people who own Merrick. He's fed his 3 Westies Merrick their entire lives and they're all very healthy.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 4/3/2009, 7:45 am

I've tried Evo red meat with Grace. My only concern was that it's rather high in protein. And after I switched her to it, Grace got a nasty UTI. Very possibly could have just been a complete coincidence, but I didn't want to risk that the high protein was affecting her kidneys or urinary tract, so I stopped feeding it. Aside from the high protein, I've never heard any other concerns about it. Good luck - lord knows how much we all love doing the food switches!!
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugs4me 4/3/2009, 3:04 pm

I've fed my guys both the regular EVO and the red meat EVO. They did fine on the regular even though I have one who's sensitive to chicken but their systems couldn't seem to tolerate the red meat EVO. It seemed to upset their tummys.
Pugs4me
Pugs4me

Number of posts : 405

Back to top Go down

Experience with these brands? Empty dog food

Post  Miss Pugg 4/3/2009, 8:49 pm

Jasmine got diarrhea from Merricks dog food (but she easily does that). She's on Eagle Pack holistic now and I just added some Taste of the Wild. Does anyone use that?
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 4/5/2009, 10:30 am

Sammy did great on the regular EVO, but the red meat one gave him horrible gas. (LOTS of foods give him horrible gas, though, so I doubt it's a flaw of the food itself! Laughing )

He's tried several of the Merrick's foods, although not the Before Grain one. The ones he's tried have all given him mushy poo. Not diarrhea exactly, but harder to clean up than I'd like.
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 4/5/2009, 11:56 am

I don't know why I feel like sharing this, but I recently tried Orijen for Co-Pilot, the ingredients are really good, but she poos about twice the amount as she used to and an extra time a day, it's ridiculous, we will be using up the small bag we bought and going back to Solid Gold, we also switch around with Nature's Recipe (I think that's it, I know what the bag looks like) and another I'm not thinking of at the moment, but I change her food up pretty often, it never seems to bother her, but the Orijen, NO THANKS!

Here is the link http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/products/adult.aspx

And also like Ginger said, I like food that keeps their poo more firm, I think it helps express their glands that way, at least that is why I think CP never has gland issues.
Sara
Sara

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 4/5/2009, 12:20 pm

Orijen is actually what I'm feeding now. We don't seem to be having too much of a poop issue with it but we're feeding the fish. Are you feeding the other (can't remember the protein)? I tried that once and we had huge poop issues.
Amanda
Amanda

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 4/6/2009, 3:58 pm

I feed the foster dogs Orijen--but only the fish formula. I had the same increased poop volume with the other formulas, but not so with the fish formula.
My current foster, Chance, is on Natural Balance Duck and Potato and is doing well on it.
Haven't used the BF grains and most of my guys have issues with red meats.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Newsie96 4/6/2009, 4:08 pm

Am I a bad pug mom? I haven't switched Murphy's food. I mean, I've switch flavors and such, but he's always been on Wellness. He started some something horrible from the so-called breeder, then he was in Eukanuba for a little bit, but then I got wise.
Newsie96
Newsie96

Number of posts : 996

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 4/6/2009, 4:20 pm

Mack and Mattie have been on Before Grain Buffalo for about a year now. It's the only food I can find that helps with Mattie's itchies. They don't have huge poops either. I had tried them on Orijen previously too and their poops were huge.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 4/7/2009, 12:51 am

Amanda wrote:Orijen is actually what I'm feeding now. We don't seem to be having too much of a poop issue with it but we're feeding the fish. Are you feeding the other (can't remember the protein)? I tried that once and we had huge poop issues.

Yep I am feeding the one with fish, chicken and other stuff, not the straight fish. Man she poos a lot. From 2 small ones a day to 3 BIG ones, EW!

Maybe we'll try the fish, but I like her to have more variety, and don't ask me WHY!
Sara
Sara

Back to top Go down

Post  Amy 5/1/2009, 8:38 pm

The girls (and the kitty!) are all on Innova Evo. So far they all love it, and we've had no problems.
Amy
Amy

Number of posts : 112

Back to top Go down

Post  leslyeb 5/2/2009, 9:09 am

I've been using a food called Great Life which comes Grain free or they have some that has grains in it. I believe the grain free has a lot of ingredients close to raw. Since Tinker is eating it, I don't have to worry about grain free since he doesn't have any problems now, and he is eating the venison.
leslyeb
leslyeb

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 5/2/2009, 12:46 pm

leslyeb wrote:I've been using a food called Great Life which comes Grain free or they have some that has grains in it. I believe the grain free has a lot of ingredients close to raw. Since Tinker is eating it, I don't have to worry about grain free since he doesn't have any problems now, and he is eating the venison.

I'll have to check that out!
Amanda
Amanda

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 5/2/2009, 1:07 pm

I feed Flint River Ranch Lamb/Rice/Millet. We don't have allergy issues, and it's perfect for Toby's sensitive tummy. All three of My Boys eat it. Freddy Jones has been on Science Diet c/d for a while, but I'm gradually switching him back because I just hate that stuff. The poops here are all nice and firm, minimal quantity. The only one who ever anals is Freddy Jones, and that's very rarely.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  ForeverHopper 5/2/2009, 10:36 pm

Sara, I feed mine Natures Recipe for seniors becuase they aren't that active so I need to keep their calories down. Also with a 15.5 senior, this food works well for him and his stomach. I switched them to Canidae last year and all fo them became pooping machine. The house was a big litter box!
ForeverHopper
ForeverHopper

Number of posts : 301

http://www.centralfloridapugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Mother Hubbard 5/3/2009, 10:03 am

We were using Evo red meats but my concern was the high protein content. We now use Go grain free. It has a medium protein content .
Old Mother Hubbard
Old Mother Hubbard

Number of posts : 257

Back to top Go down

Post  DeeAnn 5/3/2009, 12:47 pm

Natural Balance Duck and Potato is what mine are on...My mom feeds her one pug it also...They do very well on it...
DeeAnn
DeeAnn

Number of posts : 991

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 5/3/2009, 1:33 pm

Thurston is on a raw diet. Stella and Chewey's twice a day. He's been on it since he was 6 months old and I'm afraid to change his food. Every time he gets into another dog's food he gets sick.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down