Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Constipation....

+3
Renee
TNPUGMOMOF3
dianebarrybrazil
7 posters

Go down

Constipation.... Empty Constipation....

Post  dianebarrybrazil 1/31/2012, 2:45 pm

My 2 yo rescue Pug is currently constipated (x 3 days)....I suspect this may have developed from me giving her Benadryl (per vet's suggestion) to help with itching around her muzzle and toes. Antihistamines are very drying and I think it pulled water from her bowel and left her with dry stool. I have given her canned pumpkin, carrots and prunes x 3 days but so far have had only small results. I have given her no Benadryl since 4 days ago and have encouraged increased water intake. If things don't improve by the end of the week I'll be calling the vet but thought I might be able to manage this myself. Currently she is snoring away on the sofa so she is not in any acute distress. Anybody have any suggestions?
dianebarrybrazil
dianebarrybrazil

Number of posts : 25

Back to top Go down

Constipation.... Empty Re: Constipation....

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 1/31/2012, 3:26 pm

Add a little broth to her water to encourage drinking... Pedialyte?

I would think the pumpkin would add mroe fiber and make it worse, but the prune should work, but may take a while...
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 1/31/2012, 5:03 pm

When my Skeeter went through this, we fasted him, except for broth and a little bit of pumpkin. It took him a few days to work it out, but he did.

Marci has a good idea to increase the water intake by adding some broth.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 1/31/2012, 5:50 pm

You can also add about 1/3 cup of water to her kibble to also increase water intake. We do this for Bruno who has issues with crystals and really needs a lot of water in his system. He's also pretty naturally constipated compared to our other 2 pugs.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Constipation.... Empty Thanks!

Post  dianebarrybrazil 1/31/2012, 6:02 pm

Thanks for the suggestions - I do add some hot water to her kibble to make a broth-like "gravy" (1/3 cup Newman's Organic dry food) and a heaping tablespoon of canned wet food (Wellness 95% Turkey) twice a day - in the morning I also give a squirt of salmon oil that I thought should also act as a softener/lubricant although it was recommended to help with skin and coat (reduce shedding!). This is the normal diet, adding the pumpkin, carrots and prunes are new additions. Things were fine until I started giving her the Benadryl daily about a week ago. Hope I can get Tallulah back on track - maybe I'll put out a little bowl of chicken broth to increase the fluid intake. I dread putting her on a liquid fast because she LOVES to eat and I'm afraid she'll be miserable.....ugh! Can't believe I have spent three days worrying about poop!Constipation.... 4161173967
dianebarrybrazil
dianebarrybrazil

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 1/31/2012, 6:10 pm

...Can't believe I have spent three days worrying about poop!Constipation.... 4161173967

No worries... This is a PUG message board. We're always talking about poop, pee and other bodily functions. Laughing
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Constipation.... Empty Success!!

Post  dianebarrybrazil 2/1/2012, 4:23 pm

Thanks y'all! The prune/carrot/pumpkin/broth treatment has worked - things are moving along once again! Pug-tastrophe averted! Constipation.... 335895
dianebarrybrazil
dianebarrybrazil

Back to top Go down

Post  CSollers 2/1/2012, 4:40 pm

That's great to see. We do understand the importance of Pug poop and pee around here!
CSollers
CSollers

Number of posts : 376

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 2/2/2012, 8:19 am

That's great news. cheers We take our poop very seriously around here. Very Happy
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down