Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this pancreatitis or something else?

+3
Rebecca and the Pugs
Renee
LaurelPugs
7 posters

Go down

Is this pancreatitis or something else? Empty Is this pancreatitis or something else?

Post  LaurelPugs 6/20/2013, 12:23 am

Hi All,

I'm sorry I haven't been in touch for a long time.
I'm hoping that you might be able to help by giving me any insight or suggestion to try for my Beebee.  She's 9 years old and up until about 3 weeks ago she was her usual diva self, into everyone's business, bossy and smart , and the biggest people lover I've ever known.

The vet thinks (after lots of tests) that it might be pancreatitis, her enzyme level for the pancreas was 487.  After 2 weeks on a special lowfat diet it is down to 250.  She isn't vomiting except for 1 episode and no diarrhea.  But she is lethargic and not even begging us for treats that we can't give her.   An x-ray of her tummy, etc didn't show anything.  I guess we might do an ultrasound next.

Any thoughts?  Have you had your puggy go through something like this?  We are hoping that she will regain her pep very soon., but we can't help but be worried about our dear little Beebee.

Thanks for any help or suggestions,
Laurel
LaurelPugs
LaurelPugs

Number of posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Is this pancreatitis or something else? Empty Re: Is this pancreatitis or something else?

Post  Renee 6/20/2013, 1:18 am

I had a foster that had pancreatitis, and it took him months to recover. He was tested for everything under the sun, but he just needed a good 6 months for his body to fully recover.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Is this pancreatitis or something else? Empty Re: Is this pancreatitis or something else?

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 6/20/2013, 1:22 am

Nothing to add, but wanted to send well wishes to Beebee, and a hello to you.
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 6/20/2013, 7:08 am

No advice but sending good thoughts BeeBee's way. Please keep us posted.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 6/21/2013, 12:12 am

Keep up the testing and follow your vet's advice.

Low blood sugar can produce lethargy. Sometimes this resolves itself as the pancreas recovers, other times the pancreas will fail and lead to full blown diabetes mellitis - if she was mine I would ask the vet if this is likely in her case. Your vet can advise you how to regularly monitor the sugar level in her urine at home.

It is not difficult to manage diabetes in a senior with a fairly constant routine, so don't despair. Hug
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsavers 6/21/2013, 11:23 am

Hi Laurel- No advice on pancreatitis for dogs, only my personal experience as a human.
I'm so sorry to hear your beautiful BeeBee is going through this. I know many a pug that has made it through pancreatitis with good vet care and lots of love (which I know is a given for BeeBee).

Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers!
Pugsavers
Pugsavers

Number of posts : 1541

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 6/21/2013, 4:24 pm

Penny Lane had two bouts with pancreatitis.  Both involved fire-hose diarrhea and vomiting.  It did take her a while to recover - she was 12 when she had her first, and worst, episode.  I second what Angela said - keep up the testing and follow your vet's advice.  And I agree, diabetes is quite manageable in pugs.  Huge hugs and good thoughts for you and BeeBee.  Hug
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  LaurelPugs 6/21/2013, 8:30 pm

Thank you all for your comments and support.  I knew I could count again on the wonderful pug community.

I am happy to report that our dear little girl Beebee is feeling much better.  We are cautiously optimistic and we are keeping her on the special diet recommended by our vet. 

We know Beebee is feeling more herself as she has started bossing Brady around as per usual.  He is such a good fellow as he puts up with her annoying diva behavior so sweetly. 

I will take the advice you offered and continue to have Beebee watched by her vet.  We have an appointment set to check her in a couple of weeks and if she needs it, we will take her in immediately. 

Thank you all very much!
Laurel
LaurelPugs
LaurelPugs

Number of posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 6/22/2013, 6:33 pm

I'm very glad that she's feeling better.  Continuing with good thoughts and a prayer or two for BeeBee.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum