Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lipomas

4 posters

Go down

Lipomas Empty Lipomas

Post  Imon 7/6/2013, 6:42 pm

I'm posting for a friend who has a mixed breed (non-pug). Her dog had a lipoma and the vet was watching it. My friend went on her honeymoon and returned just 2 days ago to find the lipoma had more than doubled its size in the 10 days or so she'd been gone. Unfortunately, there was a death in her family just as she returned and she will be dealing with the funeral until this Monday. The earliest she can get her dog to the vet for a consultation will be Tuesday, but, in the meantime, she is worried sick.

The vet diagnosed a lipoma (on the dog's abdominal area) but did not do a needle aspiration. I asked my friend if it was possible that it was a fluid-filled cyst instead of (or in conjunction with) the lipoma. She doesn't think he mentioned that possibility.

Has anyone had any experience with lipomas? Do they grow that quickly? Any other ideas I could pass along to my friend to ask her vet about? I did try to search the forum for the topic, but didn't have any success. I could swear the topic has been discussed before.
Imon
Imon

Number of posts : 1898

Back to top Go down

Lipomas Empty Re: Lipomas

Post  puglover22 7/8/2013, 4:40 pm

I would guess that it might not be a lipoma.  The vet told us a lump on Paddy's neck was a lipoma and this was AFTER doing a needle aspirate.  The lump grew, probably doubled in size over a short period of time (I don't remember how long).  We went back and had it removed and when the vet sent it to pathology it came back as a myxo-sarcoma.  I'd get it removed as soon as possible.
puglover22
puglover22

Number of posts : 608

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsavers 7/8/2013, 6:34 pm

I agree that it is suspect on any diagnosis without a biopsy. Almost every time I have seen a pug with a Mast Cell Tumor our vet had swore that it wasn't...until doing a needle aspirate. I think she really needs to have an aspirate taken before making and decisions.
Pugsavers
Pugsavers

Number of posts : 1541

Back to top Go down

Post  Imon 7/8/2013, 8:29 pm

Thanks so much. I've passed all of this info on to my friend. She's taking her dog to the vet tomorrow and now has a better idea of what she should be asking and how to approach the issue. She said to thank you all from her, too.
Imon
Imon

Back to top Go down

Post  PugMomto3 7/9/2013, 7:57 am

Hercules has one in his armpit area, dx after needle biopsy. We will get it removed along with his skin tag during his dental. To be honest. I have been putting it off as I am scared to death to put him under, but it is my plan to take care of everything thing in August.
PugMomto3
PugMomto3

Number of posts : 543

Back to top Go down

Post  Imon 7/10/2013, 1:53 pm

She just got home from the vet's office. Her dog is having surgery on Tuesday to remove the mass and biopsy it. I don't think they want to take chances, so it is coming out asap. I'll let you know what it turns out to have been.
Imon
Imon

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsavers 7/10/2013, 2:01 pm

Thanks for the update. Sending good thoughts that it is benign, whatever it is.
Pugsavers
Pugsavers

Number of posts : 1541

Back to top Go down

Post  Imon 7/16/2013, 6:35 pm

Latest update: The dog (whose name is Brooklyn) is home. She had surgery earlier today to remove some sort of mammary tumor. Initial biopsy results were negative and the vet felt confident in saying the dog is "cancer-free". She's wearing a E-collar and is a bit groggy from the anesthesia, but she's home and doing well. My friend is very relieved and said to thank you all for your advice, comments and good wishes.
excited
Imon
Imon

Back to top Go down

Post  puglover22 7/17/2013, 1:17 pm

Great update!  Better to be safe than sorry!
puglover22
puglover22

Number of posts : 608

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum