Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help- Sumo is being baaad

5 posters

Go down

Need help- Sumo is being baaad Empty Need help- Sumo is being baaad

Post  Guest 9/14/2009, 3:57 pm

We have a question about Sumo’s recent behavior that we do not like at all! He has recently started marking a few places in the house. He has never done this before. Mainly on the baseboards on tile which are super easy to clean up but he did our suede chair once which is a HUGE no no. Saffron has been injured so he has been getting a lot of attention lately. Which takes us to why we think Sumo started marking. Sumo was kicked out of our bed by Saff right after the injury 3 weeks ago and Saff slept with us. We ended to make sure right when it was fresh that Saff didn’t chew on anything and he likes to chew on his bed at night in his crate. The marking started then.

Sumo is only marking about once at night and he does have free reign at night downstairs when we are home because both guys are in their crates when we are work. But this all started when Saff got hurt and got a lot of attention…..

Sumo is back in the bed with us at night because we learned that we can bitter apple Saff’s bed and he won’t chew on it and he kept us up at night since he wasn’t used to sleeping in our bed and was still kind of hyper even when sedated so Jason and I were struggling with no sleep. When Saff wakes up we hear him and go downstairs and literally rock him back to sleep.

I emailed with Sarina and she gave me some good ideas and suggested I post on here to get ideas form you guys.

Back to top Go down

Need help- Sumo is being baaad Empty Re: Need help- Sumo is being baaad

Post  Guest 9/14/2009, 3:57 pm

I have no idea why this posted funky. My bad.

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 9/14/2009, 11:31 pm

I'm not sure why it posted weird, either, but that's OK. Need help- Sumo is being baaad Icon_biggrin How's the marking been since Sumo's back in your bed? Any better? It definitely sounds like a behavioral/jealousy issue. When's he doing it? At night? When you're around? When you're not?
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 9/15/2009, 1:57 am

I have a girl so I am not a huge help on the marking issue, but I did catch a few things that stand out to me from reading your post, so let me try to help.

I think for one there is some confusing to the pecking order between Saff and Sumo, it sounds like first Sumo slept with you while Saff was crated, then that switched and now it switched back? I bet a lot of Sumo's acting out has a lot to do with his insecurities and not knowing who is the boss. I know marking is somewhat marking his territory, since he's not sure where he stands, he wants to be sure to mark what is his.

Whenever you bring a new dog into the house give them everything first, EVERYTHING, say hello to him first, even if Saff is more hyper and in your face. If you walk them, put on Sumo's harness and leash first, feed Sumo first you get the idea, and keep doing things this way, forever.

Next, if I had a marker in the house I would be GREATLY restricting his freedom until you have the problem under control, the more he does it, the worse it gets. Are both of you at work all day? Where are the boys while you are at work? If you can afford it I would get a dog walker to give them a break during the day and empty bladders as well. Do a walk as soon as you get home, or at least outside time and reward potty outside! Then when they come in, if you even see Sumo start to mark put a belly band on him. If he can't be successful with it, he's not going to want to keep doing it would be my hope. Also if you let them run loose in the house when you are home, I'd stop that. We confine Co-Pilot to the kitchen and family room when we are in there or our bedroom when we are there, yes she is 4 year sold, but she simply can not be trusted, if she is in the room with us and has to go potty she gives us the "look", if she is loose in the house she runs out of the room potties somewhere then runs right back in, not fun!

Just remember Saff is still young and hyper puppy! It's a really good time to train him if you have not already started a basic puppy class, now would be a good time! When he is at puppy class the other parent should walk Sumo and spend quality time with him AND walking tires them out.

I know that was a lot, but I hope some of it helps, most their behavior comes down to training and how much freedom you give them. I really liked the book, "Nothing in life is free"
http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

Good luck and I am glad you are here, I loved the pics you posted!
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 9/15/2009, 9:06 am

Thanks for the posts. To provide some more info. We are both at work all day but we live 10 minutes away so one of us ALWAYS comes homes at lunch time and lets them out. We would never keep them crated for 8 hours at a time. They are only ever crated 4 hours at a time, even on the weekends max.

Sara- I think you pointed something out that we started doing wrong and didn't even notice. We always fed Sumo first and walked him first(for the reasons you mention) UNTIL Saff got hurt. He has a broken jaw so we have been attending to him first because we didn't want him going crazy in his crate while SUmo was walked and fed first.

Sumo has access to the entire downstairs which is tiled. It is the kitchen living romand family room. We are in a townhome so it is not the hugest area :)

What is a belly band? I have never heard of it?

He only marks at night and when we are around.

Thanks so much for th einput guys. What you have said has helped!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 9/15/2009, 10:24 am

Your boys are very lucky to have you so close and get you guys for potty breaks!

I hope some others chime in because I am FAR from an expert!

Poor Saff with a broken jaw, I can see why you'd give him extra attention for that. Still I think if you two can at the very least each be with one at the same time is better than Saff first, because I think that would make Sumo very insecure and act out. I think that is what is happening, is that Sumo is just acting out, hopefully with some behavioral changes that can change. I know with Co-Pilot she never gets into things when we are out of the room, but as soon as I am in the room with her, if she is not getting the attention she wants, she will start chewing a book, or something she NEVER did before Carter and she knows is naughty. I guess they are like children, they figure some attention is better than no attention, even if it's bad!

Belly bands, look like this and this explains how they work:
http://www.dog-breeds.net/dog_diaper_belly_band.htm
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 9/15/2009, 11:51 am

I don't know where I read this, (I have been doing nothing by non-stop reading about nutrition and behavior lately) but dog have self esteem too. They NEED positive reinforcement to keep their self esteem at a good level. When things change and they aren't getting the reinforcement that are used to, they act out. I would guess that Sumo is "hurt" that he isn't getting the positive reinforcement that he is used to and that is why he is acting out by marking. Marking is a show of dominance and I would guess that Sumo is marking his territory because he feels threatened by the attention that Saff is getting.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  BDazzpugs 9/15/2009, 1:00 pm

Hi Dawn:

It sounds like you have gotten some great advise from different points of view. I think some minor tweaks of your daily schedule and the problem will resolve itself. When Saff's jaw is healed you all may want to look further at the training classes. I know that we talked a little bit yesterday and I think someone had a great idea of one going with Saff and the other staying home with Sumo so that they get individual attention.

Please keep us posted on Saffs recovery and we are always here if you need some advise. Thanks for posting pics, always good to see the kids.
BDazzpugs
BDazzpugs

Number of posts : 1286

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 9/15/2009, 10:34 pm

How did little Saff break his jaw????
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 9/17/2009, 2:06 pm

Saffron decided one day that he wanted to see if he could fly and he took a flying leap out of Jason's arms. Not a little wriggle and fell. Literally took a flying leap and jumped and we have an all tile floor and he fell on his face. It was horrible. Jason was devastated and felt like the worst pug dad ever thinking it over and over and over trying to figure out if there was any way he could have caught him but I was there and saw it and I don't know how he could have. :(

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 9/17/2009, 2:37 pm

Dawn - most of mine have done the flying leap a time or two, landing on concrete or another hard surface. It sure scares the crap out of me!

I hope Saff heals ok, and stops trying to be Superman...

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 9/18/2009, 11:13 am

What a terrible accident! I would have been devistated too, but it's just one of those things that out little sweeties do to keep us on our toes. I HATE it when Thurston jumps and falls hard. I mentally go through the list of all of the injuries he could have. I never thought about a broken jaw!
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum