Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why was I not surprised?

+11
Pugsaunt
Snifter&Toddy
Puglove2
juneau hunter
northernwitch
Maryjo
Aussie Witch
Saira
leslyeb
Amber
H the P
15 posters

Go down

Why was I not surprised? Empty Why was I not surprised?

Post  H the P 12/10/2009, 11:20 am

Some of you will know that I help out Pug Welfare & Rescue here in the UK, with transports, home visits, fund raising etc.
Last night I received a call from PW's re-homing secretary, telling me that there are currently 9 pugs in the rescue system, all of which, she tells me, have to be re-homed before Christmas because their present owners are unable to keep them any longer. At least 3 of these are not too far away from me, although far enough.
I will, of course, help out with as many and as much as I can.
So why was I not surprised? Because when I was doing Border Terrrier rescue several years ago, exactly the same thing would happen, every Christmas.
But mostly I am not surprised because over the years, nothing seems to have changed. Why was I not surprised? 9386

H the P

Number of posts : 1241

Back to top Go down

Why was I not surprised? Empty Re: Why was I not surprised?

Post  Amber 12/10/2009, 11:46 am

Oh that is just so sad :(
Amber
Amber

Number of posts : 2080

http://www.lotusblossomphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  leslyeb 12/10/2009, 11:48 am

These people were probably going away for the holidays and didn't want to try and find a place to board their pets. I always saw more relinquishments around the holidays, spring break and summer when families would take vacations.
leslyeb
leslyeb

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 12/10/2009, 11:51 am

leslyeb wrote:These people were probably going away for the holidays and didn't want to try and find a place to board their pets. I always saw more relinquishments around the holidays, spring break and summer when families would take vacations.

That's been our experience too, SO maddening.

I hope they all find wonderful homes.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  H the P 12/10/2009, 12:41 pm

I know you are right, Saira and Leslye. 'twas ever thus, as they say. And things have, thankfully, been pretty quiet on the rescue front lately.
The pugs will certainly all find homes; here in the UK there is a long list of people waiting to take on rescue pugs. Although arranging the transport can be a bit of a logistical nightmare.
It's just the pre-Christmas thing that gets to me; but then, it always did. Why was I not surprised? 9386

H the P

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 12/10/2009, 12:56 pm

People suck. The poor confused, sad little mites. And yes - Pug HAS to go - we have a holiday in Spain booked and we're leaving tomorrow! One consolation is that I guarantee they'll have better homes for Christmas or the new year! Why was I not surprised? Icon_cry
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 12/10/2009, 1:05 pm

H the P wrote:I know you are right, Saira and Leslye. 'twas ever thus, as they say. And things have, thankfully, been pretty quiet on the rescue front lately.
The pugs will certainly all find homes; here in the UK there is a long list of people waiting to take on rescue pugs. Although arranging the transport can be a bit of a logistical nightmare.
It's just the pre-Christmas thing that gets to me; but then, it always did. Why was I not surprised? 9386

I know, especially when you are (thankfully) surrounded by friends and family who consider their pets their family and include them in the festivities.
Saira
Saira

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 12/10/2009, 1:08 pm

I don't understand why more dogs are given up at Christmas than other times of the year. What a sad sad thing.
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 12/10/2009, 1:49 pm

Yep--it's the annual Dump Your Dog Before Christmas Festival. We see it here every year. Starts just after Canadian Thanksgiving (in October) and lasts until after New Years. I have had people want me to come and get their dogs on Christmas morning before their kids get up so they won't be upset when the dog leaves.

And of course, we all know that as rescuers, we have no life and I certainly have no plans for my own Christmas. I just sit around waiting for moronic owners to call so I can get up at 5 a.m. to get their dog an hours drive away to avoid them having to explain to their children why the dog is leaving.......
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 12/10/2009, 1:59 pm

Triple humbug!!! There is no justifying how some people treat their pets. In a perfect world, they would have to do some fancy qualifying to ever own one again.

Back to top Go down

Post  juneau hunter 12/10/2009, 2:02 pm

You know, this just makes me sick!!! I am new to the whole dog world - and since joining the pug lovers of the world, I have learned so much more about people than I ever did in university studying to be a freakin' therapist!!! Why are people like this?? How come people do not value their animals? I am totally in love with my pug and want to adopt another soon. I don't care what their issues will be in the future - I've heard all about it on PA now - incontinence, blindness, diabetes, etc - my pugs are not going anywhere!!!! They are staying with me until the day I die...and even then, should I die before my pug, I have ensured that they are provided for and have a new owner (my son).

My heart goes out to all of you that do rescue. I would want to smack people silly!
juneau hunter
juneau hunter

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post  juneau hunter 12/10/2009, 2:04 pm

northernwitch wrote:Yep--it's the annual Dump Your Dog Before Christmas Festival. We see it here every year. Starts just after Canadian Thanksgiving (in October) and lasts until after New Years. I have had people want me to come and get their dogs on Christmas morning before their kids get up so they won't be upset when the dog leaves.

And of course, we all know that as rescuers, we have no life and I certainly have no plans for my own Christmas. I just sit around waiting for moronic owners to call so I can get up at 5 a.m. to get their dog an hours drive away to avoid them having to explain to their children why the dog is leaving.......

I have tears just imagining this picture! This is Juneau's first Christmas and it is just as much his Christmas as it is ours! People are just heartless.
juneau hunter
juneau hunter

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 12/10/2009, 2:07 pm

juneau hunter wrote:You know, this just makes me sick!!! I am new to the whole dog world - and since joining the pug lovers of the world, I have learned so much more about people than I ever did in university studying to be a freakin' therapist!!! Why are people like this?? How come people do not value their animals? I am totally in love with my pug and want to adopt another soon. I don't care what their issues will be in the future - I've heard all about it on PA now - incontinence, blindness, diabetes, etc - my pugs are not going anywhere!!!! They are staying with me until the day I die...and even then, should I die before my pug, I have ensured that they are provided for and have a new owner (my son).

My heart goes out to all of you that do rescue. I would want to smack people silly!

Sorry, this will hijack the thread, but I totally believe it is how you were raised. I worry a LOT about the pugs being surrendered where there are kids that watch us come and get their dogs. They learn that pets are disposable and when things get tough, to get rid of them, and I think it's a hard cycle to break (although I know it happens). I am so thankful that my family always considered pets part of their family-which, by the way, was considered weird being as my parents were from Pakistan. Why was I not surprised? Icon_lol When we moved from NJ to KS, we took our cats. When one cat was peeing everywhere in my parents brand new house, my parents never considered dumping her. When it's not convenient anymore, so many people don't think twice about dumping their pets-out of all the surrenders I have done, maybe two or three were for what I considered legit reasons where I felt bad. All of us here treat our pets as family and I think that's one of the best lessons to pass on to your kids.
Saira
Saira

Back to top Go down

Post  Puglove2 12/10/2009, 2:19 pm

i think it's disgusting the way some idiots treat their pets as disposable items. thank god for rescues, but it seems like we just can't keep up with all these poor pets that get dumped. mine are my family members and always will be. i just wish everyone thought that way.
Puglove2
Puglove2

Number of posts : 1943

Back to top Go down

Post  H the P 12/10/2009, 2:49 pm

northernwitch wrote:

Oh, Blanche! Even though I'm feeling a bit depressed, this really made me laugh - because these are my thoughts exactly!

H the P

Back to top Go down

Post  Snifter&Toddy 12/10/2009, 3:15 pm

Well, you thought this would happen Janet, and sadly you were right.

Poor pugs.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 12/10/2009, 3:33 pm

that is just so sad and unfortunate. we consider our dogs family..and its sad to see that others just give them away, especially during family events and holidays. why would people own a dog if they cant care for it 24/7/365 ... i hope they all get better homes ! Why was I not surprised? 609723

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 12/10/2009, 4:24 pm

What these irresponsible uncaring people don't realize is that their children will grow up thinking that they have no responsibility for anything that is an inconvenience, and that their actions will come back to bite them in the butt. Karma does come around.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Lilos Mom 12/10/2009, 4:40 pm

I just got off the phone with a local shelter. Tommorrow I'm picking up an "11" year old little fawn lady who was dumped today because her family is moving and did'nt want to take her with them!!!
Lilos Mom
Lilos Mom

Number of posts : 714

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 12/10/2009, 5:07 pm

H the P wrote:
northernwitch wrote:

Oh, Blanche! Even though I'm feeling a bit depressed, this really made me laugh - because these are my thoughts exactly!
God, Janet. I've become so unfeeling about folks like this. I got a call last Christmas and the Christmas before from folks--On Christmas Eve--wanting me to drive and get their dog from their home on Christmas morning. I told them flat out that I was not going to do it. Both of them told me that they would then take their dog to the shelter and I said, "That is your choice. If you can't wait 36 hours, then that's your issue, but I'm not wrecking my families Christmas to make your life more convenient". Both families backed down and I went and got the dogs on Boxing Day. But if they had gone to the shelter, then I would have called the shelter and arranged to get the dogs later.
I will no longer let total useless idiots hold me hostage with their dog. I won't let people make their supposed emergencies, my emergency. Sorry, but that's the short road to rescue burn out. Most people do back down when you confront them. And a remarkable number of people think that I'm "at work"--believing that the rescue is a shelter or has an office. So some get the point when I explain that I'm at home and I'm a volunteer. However, some don't and feel free to read me the riot act about their needs and why I should be hopping to it.

In short, People Suck. Big Time
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 12/10/2009, 5:10 pm

I hope these children dump their parents in a home in their old age so the parents will experience just a little of the "responsibility" that they taugh their kids....
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 12/31/2009, 1:09 am

TNPUGMOMOF3 wrote:I hope these children dump their parents in a home in their old age so the parents will experience just a little of the "responsibility" that they taugh their kids....

Exactly!!

My Cheddar was surrendered on Boxing Day - the new christmas present (a rabbit) was the flavour of the month and it was out with the old.... Why was I not surprised? 253213
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 12/31/2009, 10:24 am

TNPUGMOMOF3 wrote:I hope these children dump their parents in a home in their old age so the parents will experience just a little of the "responsibility" that they taugh their kids....

Hey now! My sons already talk about dumping me in a home. But my dogs will be well cared for by them. Why was I not surprised? Icon_wink
akc0104
akc0104

Number of posts : 1742

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum