Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blanche

+2
papaspugs
Miss Pugg
6 posters

Go down

Blanche Empty Blanche

Post  Miss Pugg 1/1/2010, 11:49 pm

Jasmine is having diarrhea problems again, took her to the vet and she's back on a slightly higher dose of Pred. It had been lowered the last 9 days. Her problems started when she had a rabies shot, then Frontline Plus 3 days later. Have you sent the diet sheets about IBD yet? I am so worried as she's having liquid stools again, not firm like they had been for a month. She had gained 13 oz. in 9 days which was great but now with the diarrhea, I am concerned the weight will come off again. Is IBD fatal if it goes on long term? I haven't had her tested for mackeral but she's allergic to chicken, white rice, pumpkin and tons of other stuff. She did get some tiny bites of cheese over the holidays (she's allergic to them too). I couldn't leave her out when the others were gobbling their cheese. Blanche 609723 If anyone else has any ideas about IBD, please let me know.
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Blanche Empty Re: Blanche

Post  papaspugs 1/2/2010, 12:05 am

We had a foster that was diagnosed with IBD. He was in for another surgery and had a biopsy done on his intestines to confirm IBD/IBS. I wish that I had all of my links, but they were on my laptop that died. I had done a ton of research on food because my vet wanted to put them on Hills and I said no way! I fed him Natural Balance Allergy Formula. They have kibble, canned, and treats in the allergy formula. I just went to the website and it looks like they have expanded the allergy formulas, but I am pretty sure that I fed him the Sweet Potato and Fish formula. Here is the link

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/allergy.html

He also got a dose of antacid a day and got regular injections of B12 about every other day. Herbie was 29lbs and I can't remember all of his doses on the antacid and B12, I do remember that I would have to get the antacid and cut it in 3rds or something crazy like that to get the exact mg.

Here is a good link
http://www.2ndchance.info/inflambowel.htm
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 1/2/2010, 12:20 am

Okay, sorry I am so scattered, but this was Herbie's last vet report when he was with me.

His protein level is at 6.4 which 6.5 is normal so he
has improved from 6.2. His albumin level is up too. So
Dr. Katie was very happy with how far he's come in
just a short time from being diagnosed with IBD. She
does recommend to continue with the food, antacid,
stool softener, Fortaflora, and B-12 shots.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 1/2/2010, 12:47 am

Hey Joanne:
No I haven't sent the diet stuff because of Jasmine's multiple allergies. It's going to be problematic, if she has IBD to find one that works for her. I'm still trying to figure out what might be best.

I really would push your vet for a diagnosis. This off and on again diarrhea isn't good for her, obviously. My big concern about her is the possibility of dehydration and malnutrition. One of the problems with IBD or PLE is that the body isn't absorbing the nutrients of the food.

I haven't forgotten you, just having trouble figuring out a diet that might work.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 1/2/2010, 1:52 am

Jewel had all of the worst case scenarios with her severe inflammatory bowel disease so I don't have much help to offer you. I will keep you and your sweet little pug in my thoughts and I hope that she is able to have it managed soon.
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 1/2/2010, 6:44 am

Syrup may help a little to avoid dehydration and soothe the gut. To make syrup, dissolve a few tablespoons of honey in an equal number of tablespoons of boiling water, allow to cool and then give to her to drink. Most pugs will drink this readily. It will give her a little more energy and the honey is mildly anti-inflammatory in the gut so may soothe things a little.

I hope you can get a hurry up on the precise diagnosis so that Blanche can help! Diet is so important with IBD in any mammal.
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow 1/2/2010, 10:05 am

Frequent diarrhea or excessive urination sometimes leads to electrlyte imbalances. This is happening to Betsy because of the diuretics she is on. I have been advised to feed her bananas to restore one of the most important electrolytes, potassium. But be sure Jasmine can tolerate bananas.
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Blanche Empty Jasmine

Post  Miss Pugg 1/3/2010, 11:03 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions. I had forgotten bananas was a food that Jasmine could tolerate! I needed to look that up. Of course the Pred is making her ravenous but she still doesn't drink much. I put broth in their filtered drinking water on the advice of the vet & Buffy and Willow drink a lot, Jasmine not so much. I noticed her loose stools are so smelly too. I stand at the fence gate, she goes out a bit to do her duties and the odor is really bad. I'll print off all these answers so I can refer back to them. It is tough when she's allergic to so much. Blanche, don't beat yourself up about the recipes.....It's not earth shattering. My daughter's mixed breed, several years ago, was given a 6 mo. time limit to live from cancer. Nancy went on the offensive, no sprays, her husband couldn't smoke in the house, she cooked raw for Teddy and he lived 18 months on the regime. I know going raw is a tremendous amount of work and planning...kibble is so easy and Jasmine loves it, sigh.
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/3/2010, 11:15 pm

i was gonna say white race but i saw that she allergic to it...i cant really think of anything else right now but good locl and hope she feels better soon!!

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow 1/4/2010, 10:46 am

Curious as to why you think raw is so much work and planning? I make a breakfast slop which does take about an hour to make, but I make enough for over 100 meals at a time - that averages about 30 seconds a day. The evening meals involve defrosting a piece of meat and serving; I do cube most meat because of the eating challenges of my geriatrics, but it's not necessary. As for planning, for evening meals, I just serve a variety, so if they had pork last night, they might have chicken or fish tonight and tomorrow. I don't even formally keep track.
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/4/2010, 6:32 pm

aw, poor Blanche... i hope she gets well soon! sending positive vibes!

Back to top Go down

Blanche Empty Blanche again

Post  Miss Pugg 4/23/2011, 11:04 am

I think about how much time I wasted because I thought my former vet was doing all she could. NOT. I imagine the diets you would send probably wouldn't work because new vet said use this rabbit canned and kibble only, oh yes sweet potatoes baked are OK too. On the boards you sent me, someone posted that sw. potatoes can culmatively cause problems, should use white instead. Golly, I'm confused. We see new vet (a partner in the practice) Wed. so maybe I can get more ideas. Vet Tech says to take canned rabbit, make it into balls, bake it at 350 for 20 minutes, turn over, bake another 20 minutes. Use this for treats. I haven't had time to try it yet but I sure am going to. Canned rabbit is expensive and I see kangaroo is really expensive! So far, she can tolerate the rabbit, thank dog. thanks so much for your help...... Very Happy
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 4/23/2011, 11:14 am

Miss Pugg wrote:I think about how much time I wasted because I thought my former vet was doing all she could. NOT. I imagine the diets you would send probably wouldn't work because new vet said use this rabbit canned and kibble only, oh yes sweet potatoes baked are OK too. On the boards you sent me, someone posted that sw. potatoes can culmatively cause problems, should use white instead. Golly, I'm confused. We see new vet (a partner in the practice) Wed. so maybe I can get more ideas. Vet Tech says to take canned rabbit, make it into balls, bake it at 350 for 20 minutes, turn over, bake another 20 minutes. Use this for treats. I haven't had time to try it yet but I sure am going to. Canned rabbit is expensive and I see kangaroo is really expensive! So far, she can tolerate the rabbit, thank dog. thanks so much for your help...... Very Happy
Joanne:
Go with what works for her. Anything can cause problems in any dog depending on the issues. The reality is you need to do what works for her and ignore all the other precautions about other ingredients. Our PLE girl is doing really well on the vet diet--not something I would have thought, but the PLE support group swears by it and so far, it's working so I'm not going to say no to it. If it works, then use it, I say.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum