Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meet Barney

+15
PugLady3
Puggered
Aussie Witch
Pugsavers
LisaIzzyAggy
Tocents
dieselsmom
Amber
MommaJones
DappleDoxieStaff
We're Here
GingerSnap
pugsandkids
Lu Ci and Ri Ki
jagsmu
19 posters

Go down

Meet Barney Empty Meet Barney

Post  Guest 1/9/2010, 5:31 pm

Here he is. I am sorry to those who were so adamant about not getting dogs from Pet Stores but this guy is 7 months old and has been in several stores with no takers. He was on the way to the pound and I had to rescue him. He is the sweetest thing in the world. He doesn't nip or chew on fingers. He's very docile. He does have a humping issue with our Tucker and will be neutered post haste. DH and I disagree on methods to housetraining. I prefer the crate method. My DH seems to want him to just run loose and we should follow him around and rush him outside any time he pees or poops but he is intact and is a marker right now so that's not really feasible. I think he's going to be a wonderful dog though. However, we have never had this many dogs before and it's really certifiably insane. He is a Doxle, dachshund/beagle mix. He's very tiny, might be a mini-dachshund.

Meet Barney Ry%3D400
Meet Barney Ry%3D400

Back to top Go down

Meet Barney Empty Re: Meet Barney

Post  jagsmu 1/9/2010, 5:38 pm

He is so cute, there is certainly a lot of doxie in him... I love the tail, you can see his backbone in the first picture.... I know you got him a pet store, but thank you for rescueing him..are you going to keep him or adopt him out...

judy and smu
jagsmu
jagsmu

Number of posts : 80

Back to top Go down

Post  Lu Ci and Ri Ki 1/9/2010, 5:44 pm

Barney is adorable. Thank you for getting him out of a very bad situation. I wouldn't have been able to resist either. Bless your tender heart.
Lu Ci and Ri Ki
Lu Ci and Ri Ki

Number of posts : 569

Back to top Go down

Post  pugsandkids 1/9/2010, 5:44 pm

He is handsome, I understand you rescuing him. That is why I don't frequent stores that do have puppies, its so hard to leave them there.
pugsandkids
pugsandkids

Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 1/9/2010, 6:40 pm

He's so cute!
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  We're Here 1/9/2010, 6:40 pm

Love those front feet, and how proudly he stands on them.

We're Here

Number of posts : 893

Back to top Go down

Post  DappleDoxieStaff 1/9/2010, 6:57 pm

Welcome, Barney!! I am so very glad you have found a safe place!! that little face is just precious.
KC the ID will be more than happy to have another Doxie to bond with amongst the CurlTails.
DappleDoxieStaff
DappleDoxieStaff

Number of posts : 787

http://dappledoxiestaff.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 1/9/2010, 7:00 pm

I usually try to stay out of "hot topics", but I can't walk away from this one.

Posting pics of this puppy is like a slap in the face to all of those who work very hard in rescue and those who have rescued puppy mill bitches. They deal with the fall out of this every day. People here were very clear about why saving this one puppy perpetuates the horrors of puppy mills. You are free to do what you want, but it seems like rubbing it their face to buy the puppy and come back and post pictures.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/9/2010, 7:21 pm

I am sorry I have offended anyone, but I am happy with my new addition and wanted to show him off. I hope those of you have been offended and angered will try to forgive him his origins and what he represents. I know that puppy mills are the scourge of the earth. One of my pugs is a puppy mill rescue, but I just couldn't see this pup being put down.

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber 1/9/2010, 7:22 pm

He is very cute, but I agree with Christy. Crying or Very sad

I have two thoughts on your "he was on the way to the pound" comment. #1 - selling technique perhaps? #2 - maybe you could have kept an eye on your local pound for him.

That's all, I just needed to get that off my chest.
Amber
Amber

Number of posts : 2080

http://www.lotusblossomphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DappleDoxieStaff 1/9/2010, 7:27 pm

Cindy ... you have his date of birth, were there any indications where he originated from? Something to give rescues or authorities in your area??
As I said earlier ... give a cause a face. Is there a rescue that he could Blog for on the evils and statistics of BYB & Puppy Mills? Inform of successful rescues and pending legislation? Barney looks like he has lots to say ... and a face that cute?? Who could ignore?
DappleDoxieStaff
DappleDoxieStaff

Number of posts : 787

http://dappledoxiestaff.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 1/9/2010, 7:31 pm

Dammit - had a nice long post and lost it. But the gist of it was - I'm happy for your new puppy. New puppies are always exciting.

But at the same time, I'm sad that you don't see how buying him did nothing more than contribute to the misery of thousands more dogs. I'm not offended you bought him - I'm frustrated. It's like a losing battle some days trying to educate people and it just never gets easier.
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tocents 1/9/2010, 8:07 pm

He's got to be one of the cutest and most unusual looking (in a good way!) fellows I've seen. I once had a Barney and he was a joy. Give him a hug for me.
Tocents
Tocents

Number of posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 1/9/2010, 8:40 pm

I have to agree with Christy. I'm sitting here looking at my darling Aggy, thinking of the hell she went through as a puppymill breeder dog.

However, I also understand your feelings about wanting to save him. I'd feel a lot better about the whole situation if you could promise to never again set foot in a store that sells puppies.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsavers 1/9/2010, 10:55 pm

I'm sorry, I can never look at a picture of a puppy purchased at a pet store and see a "cute puppy". Instead, I see the Mama dog with the starfish paws from years of living on wire crates. I see the Daddy dog who is blind from the urine of the dogs in the crates above them dripping into his eyes day in and day out. I see the dogs dying slow and painful deaths from heartworm, or being operated on with no anestetic or vet care. Or shot in the heads and left in a field to die when they no longer produce. The thought of giving even one dime to the people who support these practices makes me cry. Your photos brought tears to my eyes but not why you wanted. Sorry.
Pugsavers
Pugsavers

Number of posts : 1541

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 1/9/2010, 11:22 pm

I know you did this with the best of intentions Cindy and I have no doubt this little guy's future is assured.

As you can see it has brought out passionate replies - the only winner here is Barney.

I really like Anne's suggestion of turning this around to become an opportunity to speak out against puppy mills and live pet sales in stores. Maybe discuss with the pet store that sold him of rethinking their practices. Then share his story of how he lived the first part of his life in a pet store; discounted again and again and headed for the pound - unwanted and unloved, downplaying the purchase part. Turn this into a positive to educate people. Start with the pet store.

This was an occasion when your heart ruled your head - Dog knows what I would have done in the same situation.

I do want to take a minute to think about his parents........ Meet Barney Icon_cry
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 1/10/2010, 3:58 am

Barney wins...but his parents lose...big time. So do their cagemates and all the future puppies born there.

Heart ruled out over head, you are forgiven but please stick to your promise never to walk into a puppy/kitten selling pet shop again.

I really like the suggestion of make him into a poster dog against pet shop puppies and mill puppies if you can.
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 1/10/2010, 11:05 am

Pugsavers wrote:I'm sorry, I can never look at a picture of a puppy purchased at a pet store and see a "cute puppy". Instead, I see the Mama dog with the starfish paws from years of living on wire crates. I see the Daddy dog who is blind from the urine of the dogs in the crates above them dripping into his eyes day in and day out. I see the dogs dying slow and painful deaths from heartworm, or being operated on with no anestetic or vet care. Or shot in the heads and left in a field to die when they no longer produce. The thought of giving even one dime to the people who support these practices makes me cry. Your photos brought tears to my eyes but not why you wanted. Sorry.

Well said, Roxane. My sentiments exactly.
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 1/11/2010, 11:47 am

What's done is done and I don't think we need to chastize her for her choice. I can celebrate him with you and know that you won't be purchasing another dog from a pet store ever.
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/11/2010, 3:00 pm

Thank you. I am no longer going to comment on this thread.

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 1/11/2010, 3:05 pm

Unfortunately, I am of the same thought as the others who spoke up. That pup's parents are living in misery and will never know a kind word, good health care or a house with a soft bed.

What is done is done, but those of us in rescue with puppymill bitches just see hearbreak behind him.

The pound was probably a sales technique, even if he went, he would have been adopted from there. better than the store making the money.
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Newsie96 1/11/2010, 3:34 pm

While I know some feelings may have been hurt on this thread, I would like to thank all the passionate replies that were civil, yet honest.

Roxane, while I know that puppy mills are bad, you illustrated once again just how bad they are. I'll take these images with me and continue to be passionate as I spread the word at my meet ups and in every day conversations just how horrific puppy mills are.
Newsie96
Newsie96

Number of posts : 996

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 1/11/2010, 3:59 pm

I'm going to lock this thread but I'm not going to delete it. I'm moving it (and Cindy's other thread) to the rescue section so it's visible to anyone who visits the forum (this section is only available to members). I think everyone has expressed their feelings regarding this situation and I'd like to move on. The main objective of this forum is to share information with others regarding responsible pet ownership and you've all done a great job of doing so.
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down