Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Medical Causes of Behavioral Changes?

4 posters

Go down

Medical Causes of Behavioral Changes? Empty Medical Causes of Behavioral Changes?

Post  GingerSnap 2/7/2010, 10:20 pm

Sammy's been driving me absolutely nuts the past two days. He's always my more high-strung, anxious, barky boy. And he's always been iffy with other dogs, but has always gotten along well with Jackson. He's pushy and bossy, but rarely actually aggressive with him.

Since Friday night however, he's been a huge pain in the @$$. It's been everything from incessant barking to growling, to snapping at and chasing Jackson. When he's barking and growling, it sometimes just seems like nuisance noises, but sometimes seems to have an aggressive feel behind it. He's always been a bit jealous, in the sense that if someone is getting love, he'll come push his way in, but he's been aggressive about it lately and actually snapping at Jackson when we give Jax love. We've been wondering if his vision may be going, and he's having harder time localizing noises and freaking out a bit as a result.

This has admittedly been a weird week-- there's been snow on the ground all week, so not as much outdoor time and exercise. Plus I've had a house guest all week, and Sammy's never been a big fan of change. But this really seems extreme, and it's only been this extreme since Friday night.

I'm calling the vet tomorrow and want to get him in to see her, but I'd like a little advice about what she should potentially be looking for and ruling out. Any ideas?
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Medical Causes of Behavioral Changes? Empty Re: Medical Causes of Behavioral Changes?

Post  northernwitch 2/7/2010, 11:31 pm

Check his thyroid levels. An astonishing number of behaviours can have their origins in thyroid issues, including aggression.

After that, I'd check for anything that may be causing pain or any neurological possibilities. A full blood panel might be in order if you're going to check for thyroid levels anyway.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Medical Causes of Behavioral Changes? Empty Re: Medical Causes of Behavioral Changes?

Post  Guest 2/8/2010, 4:03 pm

Absolutely a full blood panel is in order. When Bella had such elevated liver enzyes, she went from being a very sweet little girl, to absolutely unmanageable. I had to separate her from the other 8 every time I left the room. My vet thought it was funny because she is a blind diabetic, but let me tell you, it was most definitely not funny.

I would go for the blood test, as it can rule out so many things, as well as find the real culprit.

Hugs Joan

Back to top Go down

Post  puglover22 2/8/2010, 6:32 pm

also check the teeth.....I read about a dog who went from a gentle sweet soul to trying to bite everyone....turns out he had a broken tooth, down to the nerve and it HURT! He was trying to tell people the only way he knew how....with his mouth!
puglover22
puglover22

Number of posts : 608

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 2/8/2010, 10:00 pm

Has he been taking lessons from Kimchi? Are they having an affair and we don't know about it? (I just got home from the vet where Kimchi bit the vet tech).
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 2/8/2010, 11:08 pm

We've got an appointment for Wednesday afternoon. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the ideas!
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2/9/2010, 1:35 pm

I'm thinking it might be thyroid related as well.
Good luck tomorrow at the vet..keep us posted!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down