Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Common is PDE?

5 posters

Go down

How Common is PDE? Empty How Common is PDE?

Post  thminis 2/28/2010, 9:14 pm

Anyone have numbers for how common PDE is? I can use rough estimates, but I would need a link or so to back it up. I'm writing an informative speech for my intro to speech class, and I'm talking on three common health issues in pugs (obesity, entropion/PK, and PDE). Thanks!
thminis
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

How Common is PDE? Empty Re: How Common is PDE?

Post  northernwitch 2/28/2010, 9:22 pm

I'm not sure that PDE is that common. I would think something like patellar luxation would be a more common issue.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  thminis 2/28/2010, 9:32 pm

Very true....I probably could have worded that better. My speech itself is more focusing on three issues that are common for pugs, or seen in the breed, when compared to other breeds. I think PDE would be an interesting one to talk about, seeing as many people outside the pug world have not heard of it. I'm looking for numbers more to just give people a perspective.

I did consider talking about luxating patellas in pugs, but I only have 6-8 minutes so I narrowed it down to the three I listed. Although we all know I could talk for much longer than that about the breed... How Common is PDE? Icon_biggrin
thminis
thminis

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 2/28/2010, 9:40 pm

Okay--I get it. You're right--luxation is a toy breed issue as opposed to just pugs. Hopefully Rona will chime in. she's likely more up to date on numbers than I am.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  thminis 2/28/2010, 9:46 pm

I'm also aware that obesity and entropion are common in other breeds, I just felt I could very confidentally talk/educate about those (and pugs really are prone to both). Maybe I'll send Rona a PM if she doesn't wander into the thread...I have until Thursday. Thanks!
thminis
thminis

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 3/1/2010, 12:47 am

Hi Theresa,

I think the incidence of PDE in dogs in the US is about 10%, which apparently in medical terms is quite high. I would contact Dr Kimberly Greer to give you further info, she's always helpful. Her email is kagreer@iue.edu . Be sure to tell her you need the info by Thursday.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 3/1/2010, 10:19 am

This is a side track of the topic. Of course there is no way to really tell the exact numbers, but I have come across people who have lost their pugs at a young age and the vets told them PDE or possible PDE, but they did not send their dog's body for testing to know 100%. I know that it is hard to make those decisions whether or not to send your beloved pet to a University for research, but I wish that more people even knew about the option. When we had Teddy's MRI done, the vet at the E-clinic said possible signs of encephalitis, but we were waiting for the final reads from the test. Unfortunately, Teddy didn't make it long enough. In hind sight, I doubted what the vet said because I was so pissed at them (another topic), but now I wish that I'd sent him to Colorado. I know that PDE is typically seen as in younger pugs, but who knows about it in older pugs. If more people/vets knew about the research that is being done maybe more people would participate in trying to find a cure. The numbers are maybe higher than we even know.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  BDazzpugs 3/1/2010, 12:16 pm

Aussie Witch wrote:Hi Theresa,

I think the incidence of PDE in dogs in the US is about 10%, which apparently in medical terms is quite high. I would contact Dr Kimberly Greer to give you further info, she's always helpful. Her email is kagreer@iue.edu . Be sure to tell her you need the info by Thursday.

I can't imagine it is that high? Really? I would think in that 1-2% range, but 10%? God I hope not or we have a SERIOUS problem on our hands. Let us know what you find out Theresa.
BDazzpugs
BDazzpugs

Number of posts : 1286

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 3/1/2010, 1:23 pm

I could absolutely be wrong Sarina and I hope I am, I just seem to have that figure in my head from somewhere. This is why I think it's best to go to Dr Greer - she'll have the correct (or as correct as possible) figures.

And Jana, what you suggest is right - true figures are pretty hard to know when you take those things into consideration.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 3/1/2010, 3:28 pm

good topic!
good luck on the speech :)
if you are typing it out, would you maybe share it with us?

Back to top Go down

Post  thminis 3/1/2010, 5:57 pm

Aussie Witch wrote:Hi Theresa,

Thanks Rona! I'll send her an email right away.

papaspugs wrote:This is a side track of the topic. Of course there is no way to really tell the exact numbers, but I have come across people who have lost their pugs at a young age and the vets told them PDE or possible PDE, but they did not send their dog's body for testing to know 100%. I know that it is hard to make those decisions whether or not to send your beloved pet to a University for research, but I wish that more people even knew about the option. When we had Teddy's MRI done, the vet at the E-clinic said possible signs of encephalitis, but we were waiting for the final reads from the test. Unfortunately, Teddy didn't make it long enough. In hind sight, I doubted what the vet said because I was so pissed at them (another topic), but now I wish that I'd sent him to Colorado. I know that PDE is typically seen as in younger pugs, but who knows about it in older pugs. If more people/vets knew about the research that is being done maybe more people would participate in trying to find a cure. The numbers are maybe higher than we even know.

This is actually something I am mentioning in my speech. Not only do a lot of people not know that they can donate their pet for research, but the condition can be such an fast progression that in many cases extensive testing is not feasible (especially if the pug is suffering). I don't know how old Teddy was, but on some sites I have seen pugs have been reported as old as 7 yrs when PDE is suspected.
thminis
thminis

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 3/1/2010, 10:43 pm

Teddy was almost 12. He'd had a stroke a couple of years earlier so I equated the lesions with his stroke. He deteriorated so fast that I just couldn't wrap my head around it fast enough. Good luck with you speach and let us know what Dr. Greer has to say too.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 3/1/2010, 10:54 pm

When I took Pippin in for his MRI, PDE was one of the many things we were concerned about. The neurologist we saw said that PDE does show up on an MRI, but only if enough time has passed for it to show. So often with PDE, the time between onset and death is so short that there hasn't been time for anything to develop sufficiently to show on an MRI--which is why they need to do the autopsies. She also said that there IS a genetic component to it.

She had just come back from a conference and had spoken with Dr. Greer.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down