Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Honest Kitchen

+3
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Saira
MackandMattiesMom
7 posters

Go down

Honest Kitchen Empty Honest Kitchen

Post  MackandMattiesMom 3/16/2010, 7:48 pm

I'm wanting to switch the pugs over to Honest Kitchen - Keen. Can anyone tell me how much to feed and how long a box typically lasts? I don't have a local store that carries it so if anyone knows of an affordable place to order online, that would be great too. I'm waiting on some samples to come in from HK to make sure they all like it, but I can't imagine that they wouldn't love it.

Thanks for your help!
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Honest Kitchen Empty Re: Honest Kitchen

Post  Saira 3/16/2010, 7:55 pm

I feed mine Force so I am not sure if it would be exactly the same but I feed about 1/4 c. twice a day (dry measured)-we experimented a little with the amounts but that seems to keep them pretty steady. I add in green beans and other stuff for variety. The 10 lb box says it makes 43 lbs of food and it lasts us about a month, I think, for the 3 pugs. I always just order from the HK site and they usually send me coupons in every box.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 3/16/2010, 8:04 pm

Thanks, Saira. If a 10-lb box lasts a month, that would actually be saving us some money every month. I was afraid it would be even more expensive than what we're buying now.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 3/16/2010, 8:10 pm

MackandMattiesMom wrote:Thanks, Saira. If a 10-lb box lasts a month, that would actually be saving us some money every month. I was afraid it would be even more expensive than what we're buying now.

I was afraid of that too but it ended up not being too much more than what we were feeding before, and they LOVE it, I usually get the multi packs, they end up being a bit of a better deal. But beware, they will poop a lot more-ours finally leveled out but it was pretty bad at the beginning.

Laughing
Saira
Saira

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 3/16/2010, 9:28 pm

LuLu and Mac eat Keen, she gets 1/3 c twice a day and he gets 1/2 c twice a day. A 10lb box lasts about 3 weeks-I think, maybe closer to 4. I order from heartypet.com, they're the cheapest that I've found. Use the code FOOD1 and it takes 10% off the price.
I also add green beans, cottage cheese or yogurt, and pumpkin. And like Saira said, the poops will increase at first, but will level out over time.
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 3/16/2010, 10:02 pm

Tyson&LuLu'sMom wrote:LuLu and Mac eat Keen, she gets 1/3 c twice a day and he gets 1/2 c twice a day. A 10lb box lasts about 3 weeks-I think, maybe closer to 4. I order from heartypet.com, they're the cheapest that I've found. Use the code FOOD1 and it takes 10% off the price.
I also add green beans, cottage cheese or yogurt, and pumpkin. And like Saira said, the poops will increase at first, but will level out over time.

Oops, shows how much I know, we feed them 1/3 c twice a day not 1/4, I just checked the scoop!

I'll check out heartypet next time-I ordered from one place awhile back and it took FOREVER to get here so I just switched back to ordering from HK.
Saira
Saira

Back to top Go down

Post  leslyeb 3/16/2010, 11:25 pm

I feed Addiction Dehydrated raw and order through www.k9cuisine.com If you order over $50, shipping is free. I don't know if they have Honest Kitchen, but I have no complaints with them, and I also save on sales tax so even though a few stores sell it in my area, it is cheaper to order online and have it delivered.
leslyeb
leslyeb

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 3/17/2010, 8:33 am

Sabra, you must have been reading my mind with starting another Honest Kitchen thread! I have been feeding Cal Nat chicken & rice for about 2 years now and BG has done great on it, but I don't want to feed my kids Total every day. This past weekend, I went to a pet store (on the other side of town) to ask about Honest Kitchen. I did not love the lady-she was rushing me, but I got a small box of Thrive and another one (I'll have to look tonight). I am still mixing in about 1/2 their Cal Nat because I have 2 8lb bags to finish and 1/2 the Honest Kitchen. They LOVE it!!!! I can not even fix their food the night before without them going crazy! I will fix it and put it in the ref for the next morning. I have to do this to soak the hard kibble. It is going to take me awhile to get them completely switched over, but I am hopeful this will help with easing it into their digestive system. During the weekend, I also fixed them an organic free range egg and divided it between Lola and Baby Girl to add to their food. Eggs are relatively inexpensive and are a good protein source. I also got BG some organic low fat plain yogurt for her gassy belly. My husband thinks the Honest Kitchen looks like hog slop, but the girls love it!
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 3/17/2010, 9:18 am

Saira wrote:
Tyson&LuLu'sMom wrote:LuLu and Mac eat Keen, she gets 1/3 c twice a day and he gets 1/2 c twice a day. A 10lb box lasts about 3 weeks-I think, maybe closer to 4. I order from heartypet.com, they're the cheapest that I've found. Use the code FOOD1 and it takes 10% off the price.

Oops, shows how much I know, we feed them 1/3 c twice a day not 1/4, I just checked the scoop!

I'll check out heartypet next time-I ordered from one place awhile back and it took FOREVER to get here so I just switched back to ordering from HK.

I've been really happy with HeartyPet. This last time, I ordered on Friday, it shipped the same day and I got it on Tuesday (UPS). I just checked the tracking, and it comes from Hagerstown, MD, so it would probably be a couple extra days to get to NV. They also have an option that you can just set up a recurring shipment, so instead of having to remember to order it every 3-4 weeks, it will just automatically ship for you.
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 3/17/2010, 9:58 am

I just switched Buster to Honest Kitchen's Force. We tried to go to Orijen's senior kibble but he has a really sensitive tummy and got violently ill (throwing up, diarrhea, the works). So far so good on the HK though. I'm hoping that the lack of grains and extra moisture in this food will help level out his urine ph & crystal issues.
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 3/17/2010, 12:50 pm

As you might know from my earlier thread on raw feeding....I am thinking of switching to this. We have a good amount of kibble still, and I don't want to shock my babies systems, so I was thinking about doing kibble in the a.m., and HK in the evening. Any advice on this for me?

And, when you say there is an increase in poop....is it normal poop, or do I need to watch for diareah?
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 3/17/2010, 2:11 pm

Renee wrote:

And, when you say there is an increase in poop....is it normal poop, or do I need to watch for diareah?

Normal poop, just lots of it-in the sense that they go more often.
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 3/17/2010, 4:36 pm

Renee wrote:As you might know from my earlier thread on raw feeding....I am thinking of switching to this. We have a good amount of kibble still, and I don't want to shock my babies systems, so I was thinking about doing kibble in the a.m., and HK in the evening. Any advice on this for me?

I have been mixing my existing food with the Honest Kitchen. I did not really understand how it worked. You put the dehydrated food in a bowl and mix in hot/warm water until about oatmeal consistancy. Wait about 10min and feed. The box also says to refrigerate any unused portion.

For me, I mix their food and let it soak over night because I have to soak Baby Girl's kibble also. In the morning, their food is obviously cold, but that is what she is used to so it doesn't bother her. For Lola, I just mix in the hard kibble and stir up the Honest Kitchen. It will probably take me weeks to go through their existing kibble, but it is not a huge deal for me.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 3/22/2010, 2:07 pm

I picked up some samples of Honest Kitchen Verve this weekend. We have been doing kibble in the morning (I still have 30 pounds to go through), and HK in the evening. I have been mixing in pumpkin, and last night I added raw chicken meat. I have some sardines I plan to mix in tonight. The pugs like it, mainly because they see me mixing it and are convinced it must be people food. I found a store in Anchorage that sells the stuff, so if all goes well, we will be making the slow transition.

The sample comes in one ounce packets, so I have been giving one packet to each pug in the evening. Does this sound right? If I mix in more meat, do I need to cut back on the amount of "slop"?

Thanks for everyone's advice!
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 3/22/2010, 2:13 pm

I think the 1 ounce packets are a little less than I feed, maybe just about 1/3 cup. I would think that if you're adding extra protein sources, it probably is not a bad idea to cut back a little on the HK. Also, if you prefer to add your own protein, they have a kind called Preference, which doesn't have a protein and is designed for you add your own. This is what we have to use for Tyson because of his allergies-we add Wellness canned 95% salmon to it. I did see that HK is coming out with a new kind of food made with fish as the protein, so that's exciting for me.

Oh, if you have a place that you can buy it locally, which is great, check out the HK website for coupons you can use in stores.
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down