Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poisonous Food and Plants

+2
Eph91
Amanda
6 posters

Go down

Poisonous Food and Plants Empty Poisonous Food and Plants

Post  Amanda 5/15/2009, 8:38 pm

POISONOUS FOOD AND PLANTS

Keeping things out of a pug’s mouth can be tricky, but many things that are harmless to humans can be extremely dangerous to dogs.

Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Pet
- Alcoholic beverages
- Avocado
- Chocolate (all forms)
- Coffee (all forms)
- Fatty foods
- Macadamia nuts
- Moldy or spoiled foods
- Onions, onion powder
- Raisins and grapes
- Salt
- Yeast dough
- Garlic
- Products sweetened with xylitol

Warm Weather Hazards
- Animal toxins—toads, insects, spiders, snakes and scorpions
- Blue-green algae in ponds
- Citronella candles
- Cocoa mulch
- Compost piles Fertilizers
- Flea products
- Outdoor plants and plant bulbs
- Swimming-pool treatment supplies
- Fly baits containing methomyl
- Slug and snail baits containing metaldehyde

Medication

Common examples of human medications that can be potentially lethal to pets, even in small doses, include:
- Pain killers
- Cold medicines
- Anti-cancer drugs
- Antidepressants
- Vitamins
- Diet Pills

Cold Weather Hazards
- Antifreeze
- Liquid potpourri

- Ice melting products
- Rat and mouse bait

Common Household Hazards

- Fabric softener sheets
- Mothballs
- Post-1982 pennies (due to high concentration of zinc)

Holiday Hazards

- Christmas tree water (may contain fertilizers and bacteria, which, if ingested, can upset the stomach.
- Electrical cords
- Ribbons, mistletoe, or tinsel (can become lodged in the intestines and cause intestinal obstruction—most often occurs with kittens!)
- Batteries
- Glass ornaments

Non-toxic Substances for Dogs and Cats
The following substances are considered to be non-toxic, although they may cause mild gastrointestinal upset in some animals:
- Water-based paints
- Toilet bowl water
- Silica gel
- Poinsettia
- Cat litter
- Glue traps
- Glow jewelry

If You Think Your Animal Has Been Poisoned…
In spite of your best efforts, your animal may accidentally become poisoned. Being prepared can save your pet’s life.

Know your vet's procedures for emergency situations, especially ones that occur after business hours. Keep phone numbers for your veterinarian, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, and a local emergency veterinary service in a convenient location.

Keep a pet poison safety kit on hand for emergencies.

Your kit should contain:
- A fresh bottle of hydrogen peroxide 3% (USP)
- Can of your pet’s favorite wet food
- Turkey baster, bulb syringe or large medical syringe
- Saline eye solution to flush out eye contaminants
- Artificial tear gel to lubricate eyes after flushing
- Mild grease-cutting dishwashing liquid for the animal after skin contamination.
- Rubber gloves
- Forceps to remove stingers
- Muzzle (Remember, an excited animal may harm you.)
- Pet carrier

Call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center’s 24-hour emergency hotline at (888) 426-4435.
A consultation fee may apply. When you call the center, please be ready to provide:

• Your name, address and telephone number
  • If you know what substance your pet has ingested, have the product container/packaging available for reference. You’ll also need to provide information, if you know it, about the amount ingested and the time since exposure.
  • Your pet’s species, breed, age, sex and weight
  • All symptoms your pet is experiencing

Article courtesy of: Southern Nevada Pug Rescue

Last edited by Amanda on 5/25/2009, 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Poisonous Food and Plants Empty Re: Poisonous Food and Plants

Post  Eph91 5/16/2009, 10:18 am

I'm curious about the citronella candles and to what the list is referring specifically? Of course, ingesting them would seem to be a bad thing, certainly getting too close when they're lit, but the ASPCA has its stamp of approval on the citronella collars that are supposedly to help w/ barking.

Any clarification?
Eph91
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 5/16/2009, 10:32 am

I think the biggest risk with citronella is the citronella oil. As far as the collars are concerned, I don't think I'd use one anyway, especially on a short nosed breed. The spray they emit can definitely be an irritant and can cause GI upset if ingested.
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 5/21/2009, 3:13 pm

Eph91 wrote:I'm curious about the citronella candles and to what the list is referring specifically? Of course, ingesting them would seem to be a bad thing, certainly getting too close when they're lit, but the ASPCA has its stamp of approval on the citronella collars that are supposedly to help w/ barking.

Any clarification?

It's ingesting it! http://www.labretriever.net/summer-hazards-and-dogs/

Citronella candles may also smell attractive to dogs. Keep them out of reach whether in use or not, as ingestion of citronella products can cause abdominal cramping and diarrhea.

A lot of people leave the candles lying around in the summer months and we have heard of labs and weimereiners (bigger dogs that can reach the outside tables!) getting to them.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 2/17/2010, 11:29 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has heard if catfish is bad? I have some catfish that I would like to broil for my pugs, since my husband doesn't like catfish. It isn't breaded or anything.

Also....why onions? It seems like onions are in a lot of food, and I'm guilty of letting my pugs have food that has onions in it. I've made them meatloaf for thier birthdays...and it had onions in it! Oh no!
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 2/18/2010, 11:32 am

Renee wrote:Also....why onions? It seems like onions are in a lot of food, and I'm guilty of letting my pugs have food that has onions in it. I've made them meatloaf for thier birthdays...and it had onions in it! Oh no!

Onions cause anemia in dogs. A small amount should not harm them but the reaction is dose dependent & it does build up in their bloodstream over time. Same goes with garlic - although garlic is considered safer.
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 10/26/2010, 4:08 pm

Posting this here for future reference.

Here is an interactive chart that tells you how much chocolate (based on type) it takes to make a dog sick

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2007/10/pets/chocolate-chart-interactive
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down