Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Matilda terrified me this time.

+15
Saira
papaspugs
Deanna
TxAllieGrl
Renee
Aussie Witch
Pugsaunt
Amber
Not Afraid
Cathy
Maryjo
northernwitch
sallyandtilly
MackandMattiesMom
akc0104
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Matilda terrified me this time. Empty Matilda terrified me this time.

Post  akc0104 4/10/2010, 11:22 am

For those who didn't see it on Facebook, late Thursday afternoon Matilda stopped walking. She can walk - is physically able to, but won't. Does not want to be touched, be near anyone, stopped eating and drinking, no pottying. She will walk away if I try to pick her up, but her rear legs are very wide apart and tail/bottom is tucked under. She just lays in 1 spot unless she's forced to move. Wouldn't move for hours.

Vet thinks she either pulled her back or since they found 1 tick on her, tick paralysis. (note - Ticks are horrid this year, I pulled another off of me last night). She was given a pain shot and was sleepy last night. Has prednisone and an antibiotic and the vet has called for an update 3 times since I took her in.
I have never been so happy to see a dog squat and pee in the house! Matilda terrified me this time. Icon_cheers And only y'all would understand. The last 2 days, she's just gone while laying down. Matilda terrified me this time. 9386

We're just keeping all of our fingers and paws crossed that she keeps improving.
akc0104
akc0104

Number of posts : 1742

Back to top Go down

Matilda terrified me this time. Empty Re: Matilda terrified me this time.

Post  MackandMattiesMom 4/10/2010, 11:39 am

I hope she's feeling better soon. She's been in my thoughts since I saw your FB post. Give her a gentle hug from us.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly 4/10/2010, 11:48 am

Oh I am so glad she is doing better.
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 4/10/2010, 12:00 pm

Crap, that is scary. I'm glad she's improving. And yes, I can appreciate the pee inside story......
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 4/10/2010, 12:16 pm

I have never been so happy to see a dog squat and pee in the house! Matilda terrified me this time. Icon_cheers And only y'all would understand. The last 2 days, she's just gone while laying down. Matilda terrified me this time. 9386

So she seems much better this AM? I hope the meds continue to keep her pain under control and get her better soon!

Matilda terrified me this time. 27965
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 4/10/2010, 12:27 pm

Maryjo wrote:

So she seems much better this AM? I hope the meds continue to keep her pain under control and get her better soon!

Matilda terrified me this time. 27965

She reacted when I said "breakfast". Not the usual freak out, but she lifted her head. And she stood up later, walked a bit and peed. She slowly ate breakfast and got a drink of water. Walked from the kitchen to the hall and lay down.

Not close to her usual self, but she is more alert and walking a tiny bit.
akc0104
akc0104

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathy 4/10/2010, 12:48 pm

Goodness, that is scary. Glad to read she's doing somewhat better. And yes, I fully understand the peeing inside gladness.
Cathy
Cathy

Number of posts : 956

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 4/10/2010, 1:59 pm

Oh, how frightening!!! I hope she continues to improve!
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber 4/10/2010, 2:11 pm

How did I miss this??? Poor you and poor Matilda!! Let me know if there's anything I can do!
Amber
Amber

Number of posts : 2080

http://www.lotusblossomphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 4/10/2010, 3:16 pm

That is very terrifying. Good that she is improving - it may be a tincture of time thing. I'll say a prayer for her, and I'm sending huge hugs to both of you (and one for BBBob so he doesn't feel left out).
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 4/10/2010, 3:27 pm

Lisa, I saw you post about her, but not the original one with what happened. Major prayers going out for her full recovery!! I didn't think you guys had paralysis tick - they are a major threat to dogs down here in bushy areas, but I thought the Northern hemisphere had been spared the scourge. Hoping for major improvement NOW. Matilda terrified me this time. 335895
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 4/10/2010, 3:31 pm

How scary for both of you. I would just be beside myself! I totally understand being happy to see the pee, even if it is in the house. Your vet sounds wonderful to have called to check up on her. I'll pray she continues getting better and this is just a one time thing.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 4/10/2010, 5:57 pm

I am way more hopeful than I was 12 hours ago. I was gone from the house today and when I came home she didn't get up. I left the door open and took BBBob out. Matilda took her time, but she came outside and across the lawn, wagged her tail and let me pet her.

I wish I knew what she did. I worked from home Thursday and we just hung out all day.

Rona, the paralysis tick was a surprise to me too. The vet said they've seen it so I guess it's here. Scary.
akc0104
akc0104

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 4/11/2010, 10:14 am

Lisa, I've been thinking about you & Matilda since I saw the FB post.

I'm glad she's showing some signs of improvement, and hope she continues to do so!

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Deanna 4/11/2010, 12:37 pm

I am so happy to hear there are signs of improvement. Keeping fingers crossed that she has a speedy recovery and is back to herself in no time.
Deanna
Deanna

Number of posts : 349

http://www.pugrescueofmo.com

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 4/11/2010, 1:23 pm

This is so scary. I thought I posted, but obviously not. I hope that she feels better!
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 4/11/2010, 1:45 pm

That is scary, I hope she is continuing to improve! hug dog
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 4/11/2010, 4:54 pm

Poor baby girl. We've been sending good thoughts out to her, so I hope she continues to improve slowly.
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 4/11/2010, 5:21 pm

akc0104 wrote:I am way more hopeful than I was 12 hours ago. I was gone from the house today and when I came home she didn't get up. I left the door open and took BBBob out. Matilda took her time, but she came outside and across the lawn, wagged her tail and let me pet her.

I wish I knew what she did. I worked from home Thursday and we just hung out all day.

Rona, the paralysis tick was a surprise to me too. The vet said they've seen it so I guess it's here. Scary.
I was just looking for an update and wondering if you figured out the problem. Freddy Jones just started acting in a similar way.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 4/12/2010, 10:43 am

I'm glad to hear she's doing better, I hope she continues to improve!

But I'm sorry to hear Freddy Jones is not feeling well. Keep us posted, Christy.
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 4/12/2010, 1:39 pm

How are you and Matilda doing this morning? I hope things are a bit better. Sending lots of healing vibes to Matilda.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 4/12/2010, 1:43 pm

Matilda is pretty much back to normal (except for her eyes, which I put in a separate post). Thanks for asking! It bothers me though that we may never know for sure what it was.
akc0104
akc0104

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 4/13/2010, 4:31 pm

Just wanted to give a final update that Matilda is totally back to normal as of yesterday. In fact, she was showing her beastiness last night and getting into all kinds of trouble.

I called the vet yesterday to give them an update and just now she called me again to ask more questions. Mostly about the timeline of when Matilda started feeling better, how is she acting, etc. She seems to think that the quick comeback makes the tick paralysis a definite possibility.

I'm counting the days until I go away for work and will spray the backyard for ticks when I know the dogs will be off of it for days. The ticks are awful. I'm finding them on all of us daily. And I live in a subdivision!
akc0104
akc0104

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 4/13/2010, 4:49 pm

I'm glad she's back to her normal sassy self!!!

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 4/13/2010, 10:13 pm

I'm glad she's back to normal!!

SCARY about the ticks, though. Ticks creep me out. I hope you can get them eradicated.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next