Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aggravated with vet!

+9
sallyandtilly
MommaJones
smoochieface
The Jedi Master
dieselsmom
MackandMattiesMom
Saira
northernwitch
Amanda
13 posters

Go down

Aggravated with vet! Empty Aggravated with vet!

Post  Amanda 5/18/2009, 8:25 pm

Kyle never goes to the vet unless it's to pick up meds or something. I had a ton of stuff to do this evening though and Nell just needed bloodwork so I figured it was safe for him to take her.. When he gets home and gives me the paperwork I notice that they gave her DHP (no lepto thankfully). I don't vaccinate!! The vet should know this! She almost talked him into Lyme and thankfully he remembered that she had reacted to it in the past. She's allergic to it!! Don't they read the chart?? I'm really aggravated. What if they'd given her something she was dangerously allergic to? I had so many guilt issues about the fact that I vaccinated Hoover every year for everything and he got cancer. I did my homework and am comfortable with my decision not to vaccinate after age 2 (except for rabies). Nell is going to be 8 this year. I feel like I just threw it all down the tubes. I know realistically that one vaccine isn't going to kill her but it just pisses me off!

Somebody needs to create a database of vets with ratings and what their views are on things like vaccines, raw diets, alternative therapies, etc. I know our vet isn't thrilled with the idea of titers and limited vaccines but she needs to listen to me, as the owner. I feel like she was being sneaky by doing while I wasn't there.
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Aggravated with vet! Empty Re: Aggravated with vet!

Post  northernwitch 5/18/2009, 8:28 pm

Yep--that would bug the hell out of me. And honestly, I don't trust Gordon to know what to do or say--so when he has taken the dogs to the vets without me, he gets a list of instructions and the words "don't do anything that isn't on this list."
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 5/18/2009, 8:32 pm

northernwitch wrote:Yep--that would bug the hell out of me. And honestly, I don't trust Gordon to know what to do or say--so when he has taken the dogs to the vets without me, he gets a list of instructions and the words "don't do anything that isn't on this list."

I should have known better! I was running around doing 100 different things though and just wasn't thinking since she just needed to get bloodwork. Live and learn!
Amanda
Amanda

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 5/18/2009, 8:40 pm

Amanda wrote:
northernwitch wrote:Yep--that would bug the hell out of me. And honestly, I don't trust Gordon to know what to do or say--so when he has taken the dogs to the vets without me, he gets a list of instructions and the words "don't do anything that isn't on this list."

I should have known better! I was running around doing 100 different things though and just wasn't thinking since she just needed to get bloodwork. Live and learn!

That is annoying!! Especially since it should have been noted on her chart. That'd piss me off big time-I always worry about that with Sophie as she isn't supposed to get any shots because of her immune system. Luckily her vet I trust-but I always wonder if we (Ken) ever had to take her somewhere else in case of an emergency, if he'd know that!
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 5/18/2009, 9:13 pm

I would be calling the office first thing in the morning. That would be enough to make me look elsewhere. It's so hard to find a good vet that really takes the time to listen.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 5/18/2009, 9:17 pm

I would most definitely call the vet and ask why she was given a vaccine when it's obvious in her chart that you don't vaccinate. Did Kyle see the vet you usually see? It surprises me that your vet would vaccinate knowing your thoughts on it. That would really piss me off.

As for the hubby taking the pugs to the vet? Um, last time i mentioned something to the vet about Josh, he told me he doesn't believe that I'm married since he's never seen my husband (he was joking of course!). And I realized, nope Josh has never taken them to the vet - because he wouldn't do it right, of course!!
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 5/18/2009, 10:21 pm

MackandMattiesMom wrote:That would be enough to make me look elsewhere. It's so hard to find a good vet that really takes the time to listen.

I'm seriously considering it. We've been seeing this vet for about a year and I generally like her but don't love her. The worst part is you wait FOREVER when you go for an appointment. I originally went there because the vet who runs the practice is well known for his dealings with bulldogs and bulldog rescue so I thought it would be a good place for pugs. It's so hard to find somebody I'm satisfied with. I really liked the vet we went through all of Hoover's illness with but when we moved out of the area it just didn't make sense to keep going there.
Amanda
Amanda

Back to top Go down

Post  The Jedi Master 5/19/2009, 1:12 am

While your at it on the vet database, can you find one that doesn't send a reminder card for the vaccines? I'm like you in that I don't vaccinate annually, and the card is annoying in its alarmist "Leia! You missed your shots! Please come by ASAP!" attitude.
The Jedi Master
The Jedi Master

Number of posts : 48

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 5/19/2009, 1:33 am

It would really bother me that your vet doesn't at least respect your decisions about vaccinations. I'd call their office to discuss it and then find another vet if you are able.

On the husband issue, can't help you there. Except to say that Karl is so terrified now of making the wrong decision with the dogs that when he takes the boys to the vet, he won't hand the boys over until I get on the phone with them first. So I guess if you can't teach them, you can scare them.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 5/19/2009, 7:36 am

I would be pissed, and I wouldn't hesitate to let them know it. I hope you can find a different vet.

smoochieface wrote:So I guess if you can't teach them, you can scare them.
Best advice ever!
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 5/19/2009, 8:26 am

smoochieface wrote: So I guess if you can't teach them, you can scare them.

So true. Dennis pretty much calls me for everything. I think I have the poor man terrified. Twisted Evil
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly 5/19/2009, 9:47 am

They actually have a site to rate vets.

http://www.vetratingz.com/index2.jsp
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 5/19/2009, 10:05 am

Ugh, I am so sorry they did that without reading your chart. It's so tough finding a good vet, I know for me there are areas I have to compromise, but that would have ticked me off BIG TIME if it's stated in your chart.

Which reminds me Co-Pilot is due for her rabies shot, which I am dreading since she had a reaction to her Parvo vaccine :(
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugs4me 5/19/2009, 11:43 am

I sympathize on both the husband and the vet issue. My husband won't even take the pugs to the vet anymore in fear of making the wrong decision. I don't vaccinate every year either and a couple years ago my vet gave Lanie a 1 yr rabies, a year after she'd had the 3 yr. I love my vet but boy was I unhappy and everyone knew it. The 3 yr rabies had been put in their computer as a 1 yr. I knew it was a 3yr and had the paperwork to prove it but of course my husband didn't know. They were very apologetic but that doesn't change the fact that they gave it to her. Now my vet double checks everything the pugs get with their records and with me before giving it.
Pugs4me
Pugs4me

Number of posts : 405

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 5/19/2009, 12:12 pm

For me, it wouldn't be JUST the fact that I refuse to give any of my gang yearly boosters after the age of 4 (Thelma almost died when she got them at five years of age- back before I had Internet, back before I read up on the subject), but the fact I wouldn't want to pay for something NOT requested.

I have to watch every single penny at the moment, because Beau's current illness is costing me 100 or 200 bucks every two weeks. And extra $20 can throw my whole budget off...

Hug
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 5/19/2009, 1:47 pm

sallyandtilly wrote:They actually have a site to rate vets.

[url=http://www.vetratingz.com/index2.jsp
http://www.vetratingz.com/index2.jsp[/quote[/url]]

Great, thanks! I thought that something existed but remembered looking a while back and there wasn't much information. I just looked and found a nearby vet I didn't even know about that has great reviews!!
Amanda
Amanda

Back to top Go down

Post  GracieNEmma 5/19/2009, 4:35 pm

Ohhh, I wouldn't be a happy camper either. I think I'd call the vet and ask why they would vaccinate when clearly it shows in her chart that she doesn't get them. I agree with the others. It's hard to find a good vet, especially one that doesn't push stuff just to make a buck off of you. I finally found a good vet after going through 3 before this one.
GracieNEmma
GracieNEmma

Number of posts : 1065

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum