Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Makayla's having a great couple of weeks!

+9
thminis
Aussie Witch
Amanda
Renee
northernwitch
Not Afraid
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
papaspugs
dieselsmom
13 posters

Go down

Makayla's having a great couple of weeks! Empty Makayla's having a great couple of weeks!

Post  dieselsmom 6/13/2010, 8:28 pm

Normally my updates on Makayla aren't always positive, so I thought I'd change it up a bit and share a good news/happy update. Makayla has done so well the past couple of weeks. Of course, she'll never improve, only deteriorate, but I think she's finally figured out how to compensate for her weakness and she has adjusted her walking accordingly.

It seems that she doesn't drag her feet as much anymore, she more like swings her rear legs out to the side and forward to walk now. She looks like a totally drunken sailor when she walks but she falls down much less than she used to. We seem to have gotten her pain under control (her pain is not only from her hip displaysia and arthritis but most recently it's a result of the rest of her body compensating for her rear end weaknesses) by giving Tramadol three times a day. Previously, she was getting it twice a day, sometimes three times if she was in pain. At our last checkup, the vet decided we should just make her pain medication standard 3 times a day, rather than waiting for her to have pain and require more. This has made a huge difference in how she feels.

She's been in such a great mood the last two weeks also - playing more with Diesel than she has in a long time. It's a nice change. Of course, we don't know how long this good time will last but we're so enjoying it while it does last!
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Makayla's having a great couple of weeks! Empty Re: Makayla's having a great couple of weeks!

Post  papaspugs 6/13/2010, 8:38 pm

Great update! I wish there was a cure, but it sounds like you've figured out the best for her now.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Makayla's having a great couple of weeks! Empty Re: Makayla's having a great couple of weeks!

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 6/13/2010, 8:43 pm

Great to hear, Rachel! I hope this continues. hug dog
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 6/13/2010, 9:29 pm

That's wonderful news, Rachel! I was just thinking about her this morning!
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 6/13/2010, 9:31 pm

Just enjoy her. It's the only way to live with this kind of stuff. She's happy and that's the important thing.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 6/13/2010, 9:48 pm

northernwitch wrote:Just enjoy her. It's the only way to live with this kind of stuff. She's happy and that's the important thing.

What Blanche said. Makayla's having a great couple of weeks! Icon_biggrin Good for you Mikayla!
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 6/13/2010, 10:10 pm

I'm so glad to hear she's doing well and seems to be feeling a bit more chipper!
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 6/14/2010, 12:05 am

Amazing how they adapt - great to hear Rachel! Makayla's having a great couple of weeks! 335895
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  thminis 6/14/2010, 12:37 am

I may have missed it, but is she using the cart?

That's great that she's doing well and is comfortable. I agree that making the tramadol a 3 times daily steady dose sounds like the best thing for her. Thanks for sharing the update!
thminis
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 6/14/2010, 9:28 am

So glad to hear that she's feeling at least a little bit better! Give that sweet girl a kiss from me! Makayla's having a great couple of weeks! 335895
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 6/14/2010, 2:05 pm

I'm with Blanche, too. That is such good news - you and sweet Kayla are always in my prayers.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 6/14/2010, 2:38 pm

I'm so glad Makayla is in a little less pain. I will never forget Almadine saying that it's all about seeing that sparkle in their eyes just one every day. Welcome to the better living through chemistry club!
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathy 6/14/2010, 6:27 pm

What great news! And like Blanche said, just enjoy her!
Cathy
Cathy

Number of posts : 956

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 6/15/2010, 12:17 am

Rachel, I remember you saying she wasn't using her cart right now, and didn't realize she was dragging her back feet a bit. Even on semi-paralyzed dogs, booties will help them to pick up their feet more. It increases their sensory perception of their feet.

Glad makayla is having a good stretch Hugs Joan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down