Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

canine vestibular syndrome

+6
Pugsaunt
Aussie Witch
PugLady3
Brenda
papaspugs
Eph91
10 posters

Go down

canine vestibular syndrome Empty canine vestibular syndrome

Post  Guest 6/28/2010, 4:12 am

Today was not my best by a long shot.

This morning Solomon, my heart dog and first handicapped rescue dog, had a vestibular syndrome. Right after his breakfast, still in his cart, he fell over, and I was absolutely certain he was having a heart attack. Got him out of the cart, and onto the couch, and he was having trouble breathing, going rigid, eyes rolled up, and absolutely frantic. This went on for over an hour, but the whole time, his color was good, rapid heart beat and breathing. His eyes were darting back and forth, and the only way I could get him calm at all was lying flat out on his back, with his head extended.

He is probably in the area of 15 yrs old, and we have had him for 5 yrs. Never had anything like that for sure. Called my vet, she is over 100 miles away, and she said perhaps stroke, most likely vestibular syndrome. Only thing to do was put him on metacam and see if there was a re-occurence or how he did. To keep him comfortable and supported, as after an episode like that, they dont know which way is up or down, and he was absolutely frantic. So he laid on his back for nearly 5 hours, never moved at all. Me right beside him, hugging, kissing, praying and crying. then at 3pm he flipped himself right side up, and seemed quite alert. He was panting, so took him out to the loveseat on the patio where it was cooler, and he decided to bark at the birds. A few hrs later, put him gingerly in the cart to have a pee before suppertime, and then he ate supper and has been pretty much fine ever since. Vet went back over the whole thing with me on the phone, and because of the horizontal eye movements, she is certain vestibular. I, on the other hand, am in need of heart meds now.

http://www.essortment.com/all/dogearproblems_rmib.htm

So tonight at bedtime, I gave Bella, our diabetic her shot (she gets 4 shots per day, and at bed-time she gets one unit.) and as I was removing the syringe, I realized the plunger had way too much depth, and I had just given her 4 units, her mealtime dose instead of her one unit. So more food, and is she happy, I am up all night with her checking and re-checking her bg levels, and feeding her a bit more every hour. In 18 months of giving 4 shots per day, I have never given her a wrong dose before.

So I am wondering what else can go wrong today??

Back to top Go down

canine vestibular syndrome Empty Re: canine vestibular syndrome

Post  Eph91 6/28/2010, 8:25 am

Poor boy, and poor you. What do you do next about Solomon? Is there a definite way to diagnose (although it sounds like maybe you did already)? And do you do anything to treat it?
Eph91
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 6/28/2010, 8:38 am

So sorry this is all happening to Soloman. I did a lot of research on Vestibular Syndrome a few years back because I thought that Teddy had it (turned out he had a stroke). Since then, I have met a pug with Vestibular Syndrome. Is Solomon's head in a permanent head tilt? Do you think that it could have been a stroke or seizure instead?
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda 6/28/2010, 8:42 am

Oh so sorry! One of my former pugs, Rocky, had this once and only once. Scared us to death too, just like you. We took him to the emergency room thinking stroke, but as you said due to his eyes darting back and forth, they said vestibular syndrome. For the life of me I can't remember what they gave him, but after about two days he was much better. I do remember being up with him all night as he just couldn't get settled. But after the one instance, he never had it again. I hope Soloman is the same!
Brenda
Brenda

Number of posts : 2221

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 6/28/2010, 10:52 am

I'm sorry that you had such a yucky day! canine vestibular syndrome 335895 Buster has vestibular episodes every now & then & they're always scary - no matter how many times you go through them. I hope that Solomon is feeling better.
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 6/28/2010, 12:08 pm

thanks everyone, Solomon is doing much better today. I would say at 99% normal. Lengthy discussions with our vet yesterday and agian this am we are quite certain it was vestibular and not stroke. I am pretty familiar with seizures, as took nursing yrs ago, but this was definitely not a seizure. Because of the very distinct eye movement associated with vestibular that was the concensus. His eyes were rolled up, but moving bach and forth horizontally, slow in one direction, and quicker in the other. He doesn't have a head tilt today, did most of yesterday. Most of the articles I read, and vet concurs, it does not usually re-occur. We are to give him metcam to reduce inflammation of any kind in the ear-cerebullum area, and keep him on that for 2 wks, and then evaluate when we stop it.

I am hoping my description will help someone else to be calmer thru the situation. I was not, and I think it would have helped him if I could have been more "professional". I will keep you updated, and will be keeping a VERY close eye on him,....probably for the reat of our lives!!!

Again thanks, Joan

Last edited by PUGSMUM on 6/28/2010, 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 6/28/2010, 1:16 pm

I'm so sorry Joan! I'm glad he's seeming better today. What a wonderful mum you are to these very needy seniors/special care guys. canine vestibular syndrome 335895
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 6/28/2010, 1:19 pm

Joan, please don't be hard on yourself for the way you reacted. Solomon is your baby, and it is so hard to be calm and detached when it is your baby. I'm an old nurse, too, and when Penny ate chocolate, I was a mess. I think your presence was the best possible medicine for him. Hugs to both of you, and I'm glad he's back to himself.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Snort 6/28/2010, 10:01 pm

Oh Joan! Poor you and poor dear sweet Solomon. That sounds so scary!
Im so glad he is feeling better today, and I hope he never scares you like that again. Sending hugs to you and to cute Solomon....oh, heck...why not give your whole gang hugs from me?...I love them all!
p.s.
we WILL make it out to GF sometime this golfing season!
Take Care
Holly
Snort
Snort

Number of posts : 69

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 6/28/2010, 10:08 pm

I'm glad Solomon is doing much better today, I would have reacted the same way you did, Joan. I would have been terrified! I have no experience with what happened to Solomon. I'm glad to hear your story because it may come in handy one day.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow 6/29/2010, 7:30 am

I can just imagine what a wreck you were. I would have been too. My first thought was also seizure so I'm glad you shared the eye movement symptom - always learning. Glad Solomon is back to normal.

BTW - have learned recently that you shouldn't talk to a dog who is having a seizure. Hard not to do when you're an emotional basket-case, but there you are.

Last edited by pugpillow on 6/29/2010, 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Cannot find substantiating source)
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda 6/29/2010, 9:27 am

pugpillow wrote:

BTW - have learned recently that you shouldn't talk to a dog who is having a seizure. Hard not to do when you're an emotional basket-case, but there you are.

Really? Why?
Brenda
Brenda

Number of posts : 2221

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow 6/29/2010, 9:44 am

Good question, Brenda. I just remember reading something scholarly recently and being very surprised about this advice. I've gone back and tried to find the source and can't, so in its absence, have stricken my comment. If I come upon the source, I'll amend.
pugpillow
pugpillow

Back to top Go down

Post  pugsandkids 6/29/2010, 10:19 am

Scary day, I sure hope its a one time thing. Hugs to both of you canine vestibular syndrome 335895
pugsandkids
pugsandkids

Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 6/29/2010, 12:56 pm

Brenda wrote:
pugpillow wrote:

Really? Why?

pugpillow wrote:Good question, Brenda. I just remember reading something scholarly recently and being very surprised about this advice. I've gone back and tried to find the source and can't, so in its absence, have stricken my comment. If I come upon the source, I'll amend.
I know that the sense of hearing is the last to go, and comatose people can still hear. I don't see why it would be different in dogs. I also think that the tone of voice would make a difference. I would love to see the research on this, though.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 6/29/2010, 2:13 pm

I did a very quick search and found only this piece of advice: "If your dog is having a seizure, don't panic! Stay
quiet, as screaming may worsen the seizure". Rocket science, I tell ya.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow 6/29/2010, 2:16 pm

Not Afraid wrote:I did a very quick search and found only this piece of advice: "If your dog is having a seizure, don't panic! Stay
quiet, as screaming may worsen the seizure". Rocket science, I tell ya.

LOL. All the sites I called up today, including by Dr. Jean Dodds, said that you can speak softly to calm the dog. That's what I had read before and that's why it was a surprise to read not to talk to them. I think it has something to do with disrupting their already disrupted sensory patterns during the seizure. Damn, wish I could find that article.
pugpillow
pugpillow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down