Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opinions RE: Mac's limping

5 posters

Go down

Opinions RE: Mac's limping Empty Opinions RE: Mac's limping

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 7/2/2010, 5:34 pm

I took Mac to the vet this afternoon because he has a gash on his front left leg, it's swollen and he's limping. The vet prescribed the antibiotic Baytril (half tab once a day for 10 days), and I had Metacam at home that he said I could give him for 3 days. The vet said he did see some bruising, but that the wound wasn't deep enough to need to be flushed. He said I could put a cold compress on it, and I should encourage him to keep walking on it and that would reduce the swelling. He didn't do x-rays because he said if something was broken he wouldn't be putting any weight on it.
This is the vet in the practice I switched away from because he has more of a "wait and see" attitude. The part I'm questioning is encouraging Mac to keep walking on it as much as possible. He will take a few steps, gingerly putting weight on the leg, and then he just plops down or waits for me to pick him up.
Does all this sound in line with anything you guys have experienced?
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Opinions RE: Mac's limping Empty Re: Opinions RE: Mac's limping

Post  Maryjo 7/2/2010, 5:49 pm

Personally, I wouldn't force any of my dogs to walk with a gashed leg. even one not deep enough to need stiches. And I would probably get a second opinion if I could afford it.

Give Mac some hugs from me.

Opinions RE: Mac's limping 335895
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 7/2/2010, 5:56 pm

Maryjo wrote:Personally, I wouldn't force any of my dogs to walk with a gashed leg. even one not deep enough to need stiches. And I would probably get a second opinion if I could afford it.

Give Mac some hugs from me.

Opinions RE: Mac's limping 335895

Thanks, MJ. I'm going to let him rest as much as he wants tonight-I know my regular vet's office isn't open tomorrow because of the holiday, but there's someone else I've used for a second opinion before, maybe their office is open.
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 7/2/2010, 6:40 pm

I would have him rest on it. How did the gash happen? Even with it broken, Mac may put weight on it. We had a little guy in rescue and his leg was broken, he kept on using it. So, you never know.

If you are uncomfortable enough to have to question the vet, then I would get a second opinion.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 7/2/2010, 6:42 pm

I'd be heading for a second opinion. My take is that if Mac doesn't want to put weight on it, there is a reason, so I'd rest him until I get the second opinion. Hugs to Mac and to you.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 7/2/2010, 8:19 pm

Renee wrote: How did the gash happen?

He and Tyson got into a scuffle this morning at breakfast, and I think that it may have happened then.

Pugsaunt wrote:I'd be heading for a second opinion. My take is that if Mac doesn't want to put weight on it, there is a reason, so I'd rest him until I get the second opinion. Hugs to Mac and to you.

He's putting weight on it, but is definitely favoring it. I think after rest tonight, I'll see how he's feeling in the morning and call the other vet to get another opinion.
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 7/2/2010, 9:24 pm

Poor little guy! I agree with everyone in not making him put weight on it. Hope he's better soon. Opinions RE: Mac's limping 759891
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down