Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is going on with him?

+5
TxAllieGrl
LisaIzzyAggy
northernwitch
Pugsaunt
MommaJones
9 posters

Go down

What is going on with him? Empty What is going on with him?

Post  MommaJones 7/17/2010, 1:34 pm

Toby has a new obsession: ICE When I say obsession, I truly mean it. If someone goes to get ice, he runs to the kitchen. He demands (by barking and pawing) to be given ice. It's crushed ice out of a fridge dispenser thingy. He doesn't really chew on it, because they are fairly small pieces. If I take a cup of water to bed, he sits staring it on the bedside table. It just started this past week. There have been a few times that he's "asked" for ice, but nothing even close to this level. I've never seen him so demanding over something. Any ideas? It has been super hot here, but he's in the very comfortably air conditioned house all day. It doesn't seem to be tied to any certain time of day or if he just came in from potties, it's all freaking day long! I just want to be sure it doesn't indicate a problem. What do y'all think? Any other ice eaters?
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

What is going on with him? Empty Re: What is going on with him?

Post  Pugsaunt 7/17/2010, 1:49 pm

In humans, ice cravings can be a sign of calcium deficiency. In pugs, I don't know. Penny will dive for an ice cube in the summer if one hits the floor, but she doesn't badger me for one.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 7/17/2010, 1:50 pm

Christy--Sorry that I can't remember, but who is the older one? Freddy or Toby? I know that obsessive behaviour can be an early sign of Canine Alzheimers. But I've also known dogs to just develop these weird little behaviours and then they go away.

If Toby is the older guy, might be worth watching for other symptoms. Candace's Salvador developed a stick obsession prior to his diagnosis of CDS--and the Anipryl has really helped with it.

Hell, Pippin has had a series of weird obsessions from peeking up women's skirts to hiding rocks in the house. He still has a black rock obsession. Will only chew black rocks. Don't ask me what that's about.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 7/17/2010, 2:14 pm

northernwitch wrote:Christy--Sorry that I can't remember, but who is the older one? Freddy or Toby? I know that obsessive behaviour can be an early sign of Canine Alzheimers. But I've also known dogs to just develop these weird little behaviours and then they go away.

If Toby is the older guy, might be worth watching for other symptoms. Candace's Salvador developed a stick obsession prior to his diagnosis of CDS--and the Anipryl has really helped with it.

Hell, Pippin has had a series of weird obsessions from peeking up women's skirts to hiding rocks in the house. He still has a black rock obsession. Will only chew black rocks. Don't ask me what that's about.
Toby is the older one. We think he's around 12 years old. He's a semi-obsessive paw licker, but he's been that way since we adopted him. I'll google Canine Alzheimers and see what pops up.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 7/17/2010, 2:34 pm

Send me your email address and I'll send you the stuff I have on CDS.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 7/17/2010, 2:55 pm

northernwitch wrote:Send me your email address and I'll send you the stuff I have on CDS.
Sent you a PM. Thank you, Blanche.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 7/17/2010, 2:56 pm

Both of my girls dive for crushed ice from the dispenser when it goes on the floor but they haven't begged for it yet. Hopefully it's just a harmless pug quirk.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 7/17/2010, 2:58 pm

LisaIzzyAggy wrote:Both of my girls dive for crushed ice from the dispenser when it goes on the floor but they haven't begged for it yet. Hopefully it's just a harmless pug quirk.
Yep, both of My Boys have done that sometimes. This definitely goes WAY beyond that behavior. Alex has been bugging me for 2 days to post about it on here to see what you all think.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 7/17/2010, 3:02 pm

Got your PM, Christy and I've emailed you the articles. There one that generally describes this syndrome and one that talks about diet--as diet changes can help.

The medication, Anipryl, is the same medication used for humans with alzheimer's and the symptoms are often very similar. It helped Maude initially and as I said, Candace's Salvador has had a very response to it. And literally his head was never up in his ceaseless search for sticks.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 7/17/2010, 6:41 pm

Dre is an ice whore. If she hears one of us getting ice, she runs to the kitchen and begs for it. She hasn't put it together that the ice goes from the fridge to our cups - once it's out of the fridge and our hands, that ends it for her.

But she'll crunch a full ice cube several times a day.

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 7/17/2010, 8:10 pm

Do you think it could be learned behavior? Lola will run into the kitchen if my husband opens the ref door and demands carrots. He can not eat his dinner without Lola begging him for the carrots off of his plate. And of course, he gives them to her. Every time he opens the ref he gives her a snack. I on the other hand don't and and she doesn't beg from me.

I hope it is nothing more than something learned. Can you substitute something else to keep his mind off of the ice cubes?
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

What is going on with him? Empty Re: Ice eating pugs

Post  Guest 7/20/2010, 8:04 pm

I'm not sure what it could be but I'm just thinking about how in Chinese Medicine the desire for something cold may indicate that there is heat in the body. Perhaps from dehydration, or having eaten something too stimulating. Since you mention living in a hot climate, although the puggy is inside in the cool, the outside temperature could be drying him out in some way too. Just thoughts...not sure at all. How interesting!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 7/20/2010, 8:21 pm

papaspugs wrote:Do you think it could be learned behavior? Lola will run into the kitchen if my husband opens the ref door and demands carrots. He can not eat his dinner without Lola begging him for the carrots off of his plate. And of course, he gives them to her. Every time he opens the ref he gives her a snack. I on the other hand don't and and she doesn't beg from me.

I hope it is nothing more than something learned. Can you substitute something else to keep his mind off of the ice cubes?

Heh, my Tobey will go scratch the fridgerator door....like, yeah, she knows that is where the food is! LOL

I don't know what to say about your Toby and the ice - but at least it is an obbession for something that will not hurt him!
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 7/20/2010, 9:20 pm

Mack and Sue-Shi both love ice chips. They know when I refill my water mug that they are getting some ice too. They will beg at the refrigerator for some ice chips. Mattie used to munch on them too, but hasn't wanted any the past year or so. Mack will also paw at my hand for leftover ice that's in my cup or try to knock it out of my hand to get the ice. Sue-Shi hasn't picked up that bad habit yet.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Post  pugsandkids 7/20/2010, 9:54 pm

Interesting Christy, I'm crossing my fingers that its just a new quirk to keep you on your toes.
pugsandkids
pugsandkids

Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum