Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleft Palate

5 posters

Go down

Cleft Palate Empty Cleft Palate

Post  Saira 7/30/2010, 7:12 pm

Has anyone ever had a puppy with a cleft palate? We are getting in a 5 month old that was going to be euthanized from the shelter tomorrow. The "breeder" (f***er) dropped off the 2 puppies to be put down. soap box She also has a bad hernia.

Also, we need a name for her-suggestions?

Last edited by Saira on 7/30/2010, 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Cleft Palate Empty Re: Cleft Palate

Post  Eph91 7/30/2010, 7:21 pm

I know Diane has had at least one. Sadly, they can be very hard to keep alive. I hope the babies are good and strong and do well! I would think that her current age bodes well for her! I'll think of names...maybe pics will help... Cleft Palate Icon_wink

ETA--after reading what Rona wrote, I'd read your post as "cleft palate," not "cleft lip," so ignore me if that's what it is!

Last edited by Eph91 on 7/30/2010, 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eph91
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 7/30/2010, 7:52 pm

Is the palate cleft too? If she's made it to 5 months there's hope, but they are a lot of work. CAn I put in a request for "Puck and LouLou" in honour of my two darling departed girls, as the names for these two? I'm gonna be a bit selfish. Cleft Palate Icon_biggrin
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 7/31/2010, 12:01 am

I meant cleft palate, I fixed my title, I was typing while I was on the phone, and had a brain freeze, sorry! I know the outcome isn't usually good from what I have been reading but I am hoping since she is 5 months, that means she can eat and hopefully is strong. Either way, we want her out of the shelter.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BDazzpugs 7/31/2010, 3:21 pm

I agree with Rona, if the puppy has made it to 5 months there is hope. There is surgery to correct the problem that is usually done around 6-8 months old (once the head has gown in a bit). However, with clefts there are usually other major issues, the biggest one being "holes" in the heart. I would have a full health assesment done before proceeding with such an evasive and expensive surgery. An ultrasound of the heart and a full CBC will help rule out any other issues.
BDazzpugs
BDazzpugs

Number of posts : 1286

Back to top Go down

Post  thminis 7/31/2010, 9:28 pm

We had a American Bulldog puppy with a severe cleft palate relinquished to our veterinary clinic when he was 2 days old (I have pics somewhere on my fb, but not of the cleft pallate). His was so severe that until he had his reconstructive surgery at 8 weeks, he had to be tube fed. As he got larger and stronger, it was so hard, but there was no way he would have been able to eat or drink without aspirating into his lungs and dying on the spot. As the others have said, that fact that this pup is at 5 months is a good sign, but it is common in my experience that cleft pallate pups have other issues. Luckily our little guy was adopted by a tech who worked at a specialty center. She had a great relationship with the dr who did the surgery free of cost.
thminis
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down