Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worms.

+4
TxAllieGrl
Puggered
northernwitch
Not Afraid
8 posters

Go down

Worms. Empty Worms.

Post  Not Afraid 9/8/2010, 12:51 pm

I knew it would happen eventually. Thurston is a poop eater, plus the little kitten gave us a flea infestation. The fleas are under control now, thanks to DE but T's poop was filled with worms yesterday. So GROSS!

I'm not sure if they are tape worms or round worms - or both. I'm treating him with DE in his food and that should get ride of ALL of the nasty parasites in his body (hopefully there aren't many).

What do you do to treat this sort of parasite infestation?
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Worms. Empty Re: Worms.

Post  northernwitch 9/8/2010, 3:27 pm

I don't know what DE is. I do get fecals done annually with my dogs and cats. If I have a positive results what I treat with depends on the type of parasite. I don't use any OTC de-wormers as I don't trust them. I've used Strongid, Drontal, Panacur in the past as prescribed by my vet.

But I've been fortunate and had very few worm issues so am no expert on this stuff.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 9/8/2010, 3:29 pm

Gertrude had ring worm it had to be treated with a perscript ointment. I'd bring him to the vet to make sure to get him the right thing.

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 9/9/2010, 2:10 am

Not Afraid wrote:I knew it would happen eventually. Thurston is a poop eater, plus the little kitten gave us a flea infestation. The fleas are under control now, thanks to DE but T's poop was filled with worms yesterday. So GROSS!

I'm not sure if they are tape worms or round worms - or both. I'm treating him with DE in his food and that should get ride of ALL of the nasty parasites in his body (hopefully there aren't many).

What do you do to treat this sort of parasite infestation?

Have I misunderstood this post?
I can't imagine DE being an effective treatment for intestinal worms (or ringworm either). It doesn't make any sense to me at all. Fleas, ants and silverfish, yes.
Has anyone had any success using DE for internal parasites?

I use a praziquantel/milbemycin oxide wide spectrum product, covering heartworm, roundworm, whipworm, hookworm and most of the tapeworms. The product I use also happens to contain Lufenuron which is sort of birth-control for any fleas that happen to invade.
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 9/9/2010, 7:12 am

You will need medication from the vet to get rid of the worms. That's the best way to go, to ensure they go away, and don't cause a more serious issue with Thurston.

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 9/9/2010, 7:13 am

I don't know what DE is. Homer the lab is the only one who's had worm issues. When he does, the vet gives him Drontal.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow 9/9/2010, 8:12 am

DE stands for Diatomaceous Earth, an organic fossil sold in powder form for many different uses. There are several types and it is important to use only food grade for internal use. Here are some links FYI:

http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-worms.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth#Pest_control
http://www.earthworksde.com/page/page/4101795.htm
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  MandyPug 9/9/2010, 10:20 am

Donna wrote:Gertrude had ring worm it had to be treated with a perscript ointment. I'd bring him to the vet to make sure to get him the right thing.

Ringworm is actually a fungus and not a worm. We're treating the whole humane society here for it. Talk about a pain in the ass.

I've not had to treat worms in ages, but usually i just go gung ho from the vets and knock it out quick usually with pancur.
MandyPug
MandyPug

Number of posts : 830

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 9/9/2010, 12:46 pm

I would prefer not to use chemicals on any if my pets whenever possible, which is why I went the organic route with DE. From everything I have red and researched, food grade DE, taken internally daily, will kill tape worm, round worm and many other intestinal parasites. It works inside the body the same way it work outside by scratching the skin on the parasite and dehydrating it. I use it for tomato worms in my garden and it works well.

After 3 days of DE treatment, Thurston's poop is almost worm free (as it the kitten's). I will continue treatment for at least 2 weeks to ensure there is no reoccurance. I will take both dogs into the vets for a fecal at that point to make sure everything has been eliminated.

I already knew it worked wonders on the fleas the kitten flea bag brought in. We went from having a major flea infestation (even with Frontline) to having no fleas at all. I'm very happy I have found an effective organic solution to killing bugs and parasites. I really hate using chemicals on my pets or in my garden. It is sometimes necessary, but I try to avoid it whenever possible.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 9/9/2010, 5:09 pm

pugpillow wrote:DE stands for Diatomaceous Earth, an organic fossil sold in powder form for many different uses. There are several types and it is important to use only food grade for internal use. Here are some links FYI:

http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-worms.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth#Pest_control
http://www.earthworksde.com/page/page/4101795.htm

Thanks for those, althought that first link certainly doesn't mention DE as a wormer. Another link
touts DE as a wormer and says:
Diatomaceous Earth is a natural, organic insect killer. Diatomaceous Earth kills by physical action and not by chemical so there is NO harm to pets or humans. The tiny hard and sharp diatoms scratch off the insects waxy coating, causing it to dehydrate.

But intestinal worms don't have an exoskeleton - they have a cuticle, very skin-like. In fact most of them absorb the nutrition directly through their skin in their adult stage and sort of swim in their supper, so to speak.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it can't work, especially if people have been using it successfully, right? But I like to know how things work and can't make sense of this one. Most natural wormers, like coconut and garlic, contain active ingredients which alter the ph of the intestinal tract to one uncomfortable for worms, or sedate them much like medical wormers do, so they make a sort of sense to me. But I'm stuggling to grasp the logic with DE.

Can anyone explain?

Puggered
Puggered

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 9/9/2010, 6:06 pm

Finding something that addresses specifically the "how" regarding internal parasites is a little more difficult but there is lots of information about "how" it kills things like tomato worms, snails, slugs and other soft-bodied creatures which will hopefully help you. Some blurbs:

Diatomaceous earth is Made from the finely ground fossils of prehistoric fresh water diatoms. Diatomaceous earth kills common household and garden pests like slugs, beetles and countless others. It also works great in the house on cock roaches, ants etc. Some insects actually eat diatomaceous eat which is extremely fatal.
The tiny pieces are extremely sharp and actually cut insects open so they secrete to death.

And:

Diatomaceous (die-a-toe-may-shus) Earth. It isn’t dirt or earth but it is broken up shells of tiny little things called diatomes. It is 100% ecologically safe to the environment and is non-poisonous to man and animals. If you have eaten anything with flour, believe it or not you have eaten this substance.

This is a crawling insect control containing Silicon dioxide, from diatomaceous earth 85.0% and 10.0% other elemental oxides, with 5.0% inert ingredients. No chemicals involved with this method of eradicating bugs. Which means that it is environmentally safe for you, your pets and anything with a digestive system.

Diatomaceous Earth kills by physical injury rather than by chemical poisoning. The microscopically sharp edges of diatoms are drawn to the insect by static electricity and punctures the skin and drains the insect of bodily fluids. This causes dehydration and ultimately death. If the dust is eaten by an insect, the microscopic needles of silica interfere with the insect’s breathing, digestion and reproduction, thus, preventing further infestation.

We have a 40 ft. x 100 ft. garden and have 8 rows of potatoes that were infested with hordes of Colorado Potato Beetles. These little buggers over winter as adults in soil, in fence rows or under litter in the garden. They become active in May and will start to lay eggs as soon as potato, tomato or other nightshade plants become available. Larvae and adults feed on the foliage and can cause extensive damage especially if their population is high and if they feed within two weeks of the potato plant flowering. Potato yield will be greatly affected if these Colorado Potato Beetles are not controlled.

We tried hand picking the bugs but this did not effectively control them so we went looking for an effective but safe method of eradication. We ask around to several of our friends who have gardens and they recommended we try the Diatomaceous Earth. I went to our local garden shop and purchased a 2 pound bag. This was enough for complete coverage of our 8 rows of potatoes. Our garden rows are planted across the 40 ft. width of the garden.

Diatomaceous Earth‘s killing actions are mechanical. Insects cannot become immune to its action. Insects come in contact with the powder or ingest it and literally dry up and die within 48 hours. Diatomaceous Earth has a highly repellent effect on most insects. It is odorless, nonstaining and remains effective in the control of insects as long as the product is present. Should you get a hard rain after application you will have to reapply.

To apply Diatomaceous Earth you will need a hand or power duster or you can also apply by using a container with a lid that you can poke holes into and then use it to shake over the area you want to apply the Diatomaceous Earth to. The shaker method is the one we ultimately ended up using. We purchased a hand duster but didn’t like using it. The capacity of the duster was so small that we were constantly having to refill it. We used a coffee can as a container with holes in the lid. The lid stayed on securely so we didn’t worry about the contents spilling. You must wear a dust mask while applying so that you do not breath in any of the dust.

It is best to apply in the early morning while there is dew on the plants so that the Diatomaceous Earth adheres to the plants. Or you can water the plants and then apply.

Diatomaceous Earth can be used to control cockroaches, ants, earwigs, millipedes, centipedes, crickets and silverfish in the home. Lightly coat a thin layer in areas where these pests are found and may hide, such as cracks and crevices, behind and beneath refrigerators, cabinets, stoves, garbage cans and in and around sewer pipes and drains, window frames and in attics and basements. If it is possible you can dust insects directly. Repeat treatment regularly or whenever reinfestation occurs.

Diatomaceous Earth will also control fleas. Treat floor and bedding in and around pets’ sleeping area as well as cracks and crevices, baseboards , carpeting and wherever fleas are suspected.

Carpet beetles and bedbugs have no chance when Diatomaceous Earth is applied to areas where infestation is suspected. Dismantle beds and treat mattresses especially folds and edges and treat all cracks and crevices in the bedroom if bedbugs are suspected or noticed.

If you have a problem with snails and slugs Diatomaceous Earth to the rescue! No more slimy slugs in the garden or slivery slimy trails on your sidewalks! A little dusting of Diatomaceous Earth and no more worry!
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 9/10/2010, 2:59 am

Thanks for that.

Okay so if I'm reading that correctly the worms die the death of a thousand cuts - "secrete to death" was one memorable phrase. Sounds a little like one of the more horrendous rat poisons. Now I have to figure out how these razor sharp diatom corpses can shred the worms without shredding the gut that the worms are in. Will definitely put that on my "research further" list.

Never too old to learn is my motto!
Puggered
Puggered

Back to top Go down

Post  thminis 9/10/2010, 5:48 pm

It looked like little grains of rice? Then it was/is probably tape worms. Dogs commonly get tapeworms from eating tapeworm infected fleas.

Even if you don't want to use the dewormer they use at the vet's, I'd reccomend dropping off a stool sample to have it checked for parasites (now and later). Almost all intestinal parasites can't be seen by the human eye. When you drop off a fecal sample, it's mixed with a special sucrose solution and spun in a centrifuge. It's allowed to sit for a while with a slide cover on top, and any eggs will float up and attach to the slide cover. The slide is then read under a microscope.

So, even if you don't see worms, he can still have them. Plus, life stages for parasites are all different and treatment (especially frequency) changes. Some worms you treat once or twice, and others you have to have a schedule of now, in 3 weeks, in 4 weeks, or whatnot. You should be able to drop off a fecal sample at your vet's without bringing Thurston in.
thminis
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 9/10/2010, 6:01 pm

Both of mine are due for a regular fecal as well as whatever shots they absolutely have to have. I'll be getting both done in about 2 weeks. Meanwhile, I'll keep up the DE treatments and see how things go. I have to teach Chris to be a poop examiner. It is something I do automatically with every dog I walk and can at least see the obvious parasites.

It's so gross!
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum