Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm feeling indecisive...or What Would You Do?

+5
Pugsaunt
Maryjo
Aussie Witch
TxAllieGrl
Renee
9 posters

Go down

I'm feeling indecisive...or What Would You Do? Empty I'm feeling indecisive...or What Would You Do?

Post  Renee 9/13/2010, 12:31 pm

So, you may recall from my post in the positive vibes section, that I took my Ichi in to the vet for his shoulder. It seemed to be swollen, or have a lump on it.

We could not feel any discernable lump or tumor, it just felt swollen. The vet aspirated it in 3 different spots, and never got anything out of it. We did xrays, and nothing came up. She aspirated a little more, and ending up finding a pocket of blood that she drained.

He was sent home with remadyl (sp?), and she told me is was muscular and the swelling should go down in a few days.

Well, it did seem to go down quite a bit, even just from the aspiration.

I figured all was well.

A few days later, it started swelling up again. Mind you, I did not have him on strict crate rest. The shoulder didn't seem to bother him at all, and the swelling had gone down.

Last Friday, I called and scheduled him to go in this morning. I was supposed to drop him off, she would aspirate, and if she found anything, would go in for a biopsy.

All weekend, I rethought my plan over and over. I don't want to keep poking him, or put him under for an unnecessary biopsy, if he just has an pulled muscle. BUT, I don't want to ignore it, if it could be a tumor.

I cancelled the drop off this morning. I'm too indecisive about it. If it is muscular, he needs crate rest for at least a week or two. If it was a tumor, it would not go down and come back, right?

So, now I'm second guessing myself. Do I take him in again? Or see if crate rest helps? Could it be a tumor that would not show on an xray, and that an aspiration would not be able to get anything out of?

(sorry this is so long! advice please!)
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

I'm feeling indecisive...or What Would You Do? Empty Re: I'm feeling indecisive...or What Would You Do?

Post  TxAllieGrl 9/13/2010, 12:42 pm

I would do the crate rest and see if that helps. It sounds muscular, and if you aren't seeing anything with the aspiration, or the xray, that would be the next step I would do.

Also, I'd try to get metacam instead of the rimadyl. Just a preference - both are anti-inflammatory meds, but I have less fear of the side effects of metacam vs. the rimadyl.

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

I'm feeling indecisive...or What Would You Do? Empty Re: I'm feeling indecisive...or What Would You Do?

Post  Aussie Witch 9/13/2010, 1:27 pm

Yes, I agree with Allie. I know if it doesn't go down you'll be back there like a shot taking option B. Hope it's okay and goes away!
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 9/13/2010, 1:38 pm

Consider getting a second opinion. I like Cornerstone Vet Clinic on Tudor Road.

I'd worry about an abcess if she aspirated and drained blood.
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 9/13/2010, 2:09 pm

Okay, the possible abcess has me more scared then before! I'm getting a second opinion.
Renee
Renee

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 9/13/2010, 3:23 pm

Sending a bunch of good thoughts for Ichiro. Please let us know what the second opinion dogtor says.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 9/13/2010, 7:23 pm

Well, not really happy news.

The second opinion went great - Thanks so much for reminding me about getting a second opinion MJ! I guess I rely so much on my vet, I forget that a second opinion can be so helpful.

The new dogtor felt all over, did a very thorough exam, and said he would definitly get the biopsy. He said it could be nothing, but with how emedded it is in the muscle, it also could be something and he would not risk it.

So, Ichi heads in on Friday morning for the biopsy.

I'm feeling bad. This is the third time he'll be under in the last 6 months. But, I am so relieved to have a second opinion that helps me feel more decisive.
Renee
Renee

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 9/13/2010, 8:38 pm

Aw Renee, I'm sorry you didn't get better news, but at least you are feeling better with a second opinion. I hope everything goes well for Ichiro on Friday and you get some answers soon.
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 9/13/2010, 8:58 pm

Tyson&LuLu'sMom wrote:Aw Renee, I'm sorry you didn't get better news, but at least you are feeling better with a second opinion. I hope everything goes well for Ichiro on Friday and you get some answers soon.
My thoughts echo Becky's. I'll be thinking of you both.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 9/13/2010, 10:03 pm

MommaJones wrote:
Tyson&LuLu'sMom wrote:Aw Renee, I'm sorry you didn't get better news, but at least you are feeling better with a second opinion. I hope everything goes well for Ichiro on Friday and you get some answers soon.
My thoughts echo Becky's. I'll be thinking of you both.
Likewise. I'll keep Ichiro in my prayers.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 9/14/2010, 9:25 pm

Sending good wishes that it's nothing serious. When the biopsy is done, I assume the vet will try to remove whatever (in its entirety) is there, right?

I ask because I had a similar conversation recently with my vet, because Emmet has a mystery bump that aspirated, but with indeterminate cells...I, too, think it may be smaller, but he did say that removing it will be the only way to know what it is, and he also said, "I know you, and you'll want to know and be sure he's alright," so Emmet will be following your Ichi's path, soon, I assume.

Keep us posted!
Eph91
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

Post  Stazz 9/15/2010, 1:43 am

Have no fear Renee !!!
PA's positive thoughts & prayers are here Wink

Your Ichiro baby will feature in all my prayers, plus some extra !!!
Sending all happy thoughts, positive thoughts your way. Huge hugs to you.
Stazz
Stazz

Number of posts : 348

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down