Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Vet Questions... UPDATE

+3
Puggered
Renee
Lindsey
7 posters

Go down

New Vet Questions... UPDATE Empty New Vet Questions... UPDATE

Post  Lindsey 1/7/2011, 2:24 am

Tomorrow, I'm taking Lillie in to see a new vet. I had the records of all three pugs moved over and will take Lillie in first. Reason for moving to a new vet is the previous vet gave me no answers other than, "well they're pugs, what do you expect?" This coming from a vet that owns two pugs. Last spring when Lillie died on the table during her spay surgery (of course coming back), the vet had no explanation and the fact that he wasn't concerned, broke all the trust for hubby and I. So, tomorrow, I will be taking her in to a new one. I have some concerns and hopefully, I can get some direction for her and us.

Are there any questions I should ask? You know, interview the vet. Does that sound too controlling? I just want the best for the pugs....is that too much to ask?

UPDATE:

The vet appointment went very well. I asked many of the questions that you all had mentioned. He was very nice and sat on the floor and played with Lillie while we talked. He also, explained to us what may of happened during her surgery with the last vet (I had her records sent over). I was skeptical because he is young, but I'm glad he gave me the time of day and we could talk. We set up an appointment for Murphy to go in next Friday.
Thank you for all the suggestions!

Last edited by Lindsey on 1/7/2011, 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lindsey
Lindsey

Number of posts : 2033

Back to top Go down

New Vet Questions... UPDATE Empty Re: New Vet Questions... UPDATE

Post  Renee 1/7/2011, 2:28 am

I think it's brilliant to ask vets questions. If they won't answer, or act upset - you know they are not the right vet.

Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 1/7/2011, 3:58 am

Ask them what is their protocol for brachie breeds on the table under general anaethesia.

Ask them what their opinion is of your girl's weight (don't give any clues.)

Pretty much those are the two things that make or break a generalist vet for me. It is a bonus if you get one that has even the vaguest idea of nutrition as well... Laughing
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 1/7/2011, 10:04 am

I wish that I was at home and could post some of the stuff from the book "Speaking for Spot". The author is a vet who wrote about being an advocate for your pet. She has some very good tips about how to interview a vet and what to look for in their staff and responses. But without the book, I am no help.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 1/7/2011, 10:35 am

I would ask how they feel about you doing your own research regarding your pugs' care/treatment/feeding, etc... are they open to listening to what information you gather on your own and working as a team to develop the best approach?
I don't think it's too controlling at all, a good vet is a novelty.
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 1/7/2011, 12:14 pm

I won't see a vet that won't let me interview them first. I book 30 minutes and am happy to pay for that time.

I ask the following questions:
What is their belief/feelings about canine nutrition? Basically I'm trying to suss out if they know anything about it. It's not a deal breaker for me, but I like to know if I'm going to be arguing about the fact that I feed raw.

What is their vaccine protocol? Will they special order certain vaccines for me (Parvo and distemper in single doses as opposed to the cocktail)

What's their experience with brachycephalic dogs?

Do they have any ophthalmologic experience and equipment?

How easy is it to get an appt quickly?

Are they open to alternative medicines? Do they have any objection to one their client dogs seeing both them and a homeopathic vet?

Basically, I want to get a feel for the vet and their protocols and practices. I learn alot from the first vet visit, as well. I want to see a vet that interacts nicely with my animals--that has their focus on the animal.

I have never found the "perfect" vet, but my current one is close. We disagree on several things, but she has respected my choices and acknowledges that I do know what I'm doing. Her diagnostic, surgical and ophthalmology skills make it worth it for me to stay with her.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindsey 1/7/2011, 1:01 pm

I appreciate all the input! I will be writing many of these things down to ask. I just need to know that I'm getting the best quality care for my pets.
Thank you very much!!
Lindsey
Lindsey

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindsey 1/7/2011, 5:14 pm

We are on our way to the new vet. When we get home, I will update and let you all know how it goes!
Lindsey
Lindsey

Back to top Go down

Post  thminis 1/8/2011, 1:39 pm

Lindsey, I'm glad the visit went well!

One of my dogs' vets (the optho) who I respect and trust more than any other vet I've met, said something once that stuck with me. (Let me see if I can remember the wording). Basically, she said the best vet is the one who knows what they don't know. Meaning she likes a vet who isn't afraid to ask for help or a second opinion if they don't feel competent in treating/diagnosing the animal. Obviously you don't want a vet who isn't confident in doing anything or who doesn't know what they're doing, but you don't want one so cocky that they may over step their comfort zone.
thminis
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 1/8/2011, 2:37 pm

thminis wrote:Lindsey, I'm glad the visit went well!

One of my dogs' vets (the optho) who I respect and trust more than any other vet I've met, said something once that stuck with me. (Let me see if I can remember the wording). Basically, she said the best vet is the one who knows what they don't know. Meaning she likes a vet who isn't afraid to ask for help or a second opinion if they don't feel competent in treating/diagnosing the animal. Obviously you don't want a vet who isn't confident in doing anything or who doesn't know what they're doing, but you don't want one so cocky that they may over step their comfort zone.
BINGO! One of the many reasons I love my vet. She's very clear about what she does and doesn't know as far as vet care goes. I love when she says "I don't know" and then either researches or refers me to someone with more knowledge in that area.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 1/8/2011, 3:24 pm

northernwitch wrote:
thminis wrote:Lindsey, I'm glad the visit went well!

BINGO! One of the many reasons I love my vet. She's very clear about what she does and doesn't know as far as vet care goes. I love when she says "I don't know" and then either researches or refers me to someone with more knowledge in that area.

Agree. We have had a couple of instances that my vet had done consultations or has had to get back with me after doing research.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down