Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How the heck do you get a Pug to vomit?

+8
dieselsmom
Pugs4me
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
rachi
MommaJones
Not Afraid
LisaIzzyAggy
Katie & Stella
12 posters

Go down

How the heck do you get a Pug to vomit? Empty How the heck do you get a Pug to vomit?

Post  Katie & Stella 6/13/2009, 4:30 pm

I'm dog sitting/house sitting right now. I saw Stella trying to eat
something and I went over and grabbed it out of her mouth. It ended up
being part of a pill for Parkinson's and I couldn't find the other
part!

I called the vet and they said to induce vomiting by giving her
hydrogen peroxide. Well, it sounded easy enough but holy hell how do
you pry a pug's mouth open for more than 2 seconds? Anyone have any
tips on giving her the peroxide in case the little Hoover every does
this again? She ended up not vomiting but the vet researched the drug
and it turns out she would've had to consume way more of it to have a
negative effect.

Needless to say, she now has the cleanest wrinkle in all the land from
the peroxide and she might be setting a new fashion trend if her chin
hair ends up with frosted tips.
Katie & Stella
Katie & Stella

Number of posts : 1248

Back to top Go down

How the heck do you get a Pug to vomit? Empty Re: How the heck do you get a Pug to vomit?

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 6/13/2009, 4:42 pm

I mix the peroxide with some canned dog food and they gulp it right up. I bet mixing it with anything she likes would work.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

How the heck do you get a Pug to vomit? Empty Re: How the heck do you get a Pug to vomit?

Post  Not Afraid 6/13/2009, 4:47 pm

I put it in an eye dropper or a syringe and just shove it down their throats. it is easiest if you come at them from behind and hold them between your legs.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 6/13/2009, 5:52 pm

I have used a liquid medicine syringe (like for infants/small kids). My vet also said to feed raw hamburger after the peroxide. Freddy Jones must have a cast iron stomach, because he wouldn't puke for anything.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  rachi 6/13/2009, 5:55 pm

I posted on PV, but I agree with everyone else-a syringe is the way to go. It also allows you to control the volume you are giving-although not the volume the pug actually swallows!
rachi
rachi

Number of posts : 99

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 6/13/2009, 7:05 pm

I was told to soak bread in the peroxide and they will eat it...

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 6/13/2009, 7:25 pm

I used a syringe, but LuLu also has a cast iron stomach because two doses (recommended over the phone by an ER vet) didn't make her vomit.
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugs4me 6/13/2009, 9:07 pm

Mine must have cast iron stomachs also. We've done the peroxide in a medicine dropper with no results. We've also done salt (on our vet's instructions) with no results either. If they've eaten anything questionable (usually a mushroom), I just grab them up and run straight to the vet where they give them an injection that makes them bring it back up.
Pugs4me
Pugs4me

Number of posts : 405

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 6/14/2009, 12:34 am

I mix the hydrogen peroxide with some milk. Though if that didn't work, a medicine syringe would be my next attempt.
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Katie & Stella 6/14/2009, 1:06 am

Thanks for the tips. Hopefully this never happens again, but if it does I will be prepared!
Katie & Stella
Katie & Stella

Number of posts : 1248

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 6/14/2009, 10:40 am

How's Ms. Stella? Any after-effects??

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 6/14/2009, 11:46 am

How's Miss Stella.

Since I have been having to get medicine in CP's mouth regularly with a syringe, that is the first thing that came to mind. I also get her from behind, she tried to back up, but my legs block her, I told her head up, open mouth with one finger and squirt in the meds.

I hope this helps for future incidences, but I hope miss Stella stays out of harms way too!
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Post  Carol 6/16/2009, 10:53 am

My friend
Nicole just had too make her pug Rudy vomit as he had eaten a mushroom...She used one teaspoon of salt in the back of the mouth and Rudy quickly vomited....
Carol
Carol

Number of posts : 43

Back to top Go down

Post  Newsie96 6/16/2009, 12:00 pm

It is a challenge. I had to do it to Murphy years ago. I just kind of poured it in. But he was younger and I don't think I could do it now without a syringe.

How is she doing?
Newsie96
Newsie96

Number of posts : 996

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down