Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anal Glands...or????

+8
sallyandtilly
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Puggered
Renee
TNPUGMOMOF3
LisaIzzyAggy
akc0104
Dayna
12 posters

Go down

Anal Glands...or???? Empty Anal Glands...or????

Post  Dayna 2/15/2011, 11:22 am

I noticed Saturday morning Bear had a stinky butt. I assumed it was his glands but thought it was odd because he just got them expressed at the groomers about 2 weeks ago. Sunday morning I caught him rubbing his hiney on the floor. Of course he left behind some yuckies and I got the job of cleaning the carpet. I noticed once late Sunday that we he jumped up from my lap he had some yuckiness ooze out of his hiney. It was kinda mucus looking however the spot I cleaned was brown and mucus like. He's going to the vet tomorrow but I'm concerned this is much more than just glands that need expressed. Any gland experts???
Dayna
Dayna

Number of posts : 1600

Back to top Go down

Anal Glands...or???? Empty Re: Anal Glands...or????

Post  akc0104 2/15/2011, 11:27 am

Sounds like glands to me. Chloe used to need hers done often - every few weeks.
akc0104
akc0104

Number of posts : 1742

Back to top Go down

Post  Dayna 2/15/2011, 11:52 am

Thanks Lisa. He's never had issues with his so this was a bit odd. Hoping its just glands.
Dayna
Dayna

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 2/15/2011, 11:54 am

Sounds like anal glands to me also. I do my girls every 2-6 weeks.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 2/15/2011, 12:10 pm

Yup, I would say anal glands also. Bella's used to be really bad. Pumpkin really helped her. It also seems to keep me from getting juiced as much. After the holidays I had not been able to get canned pumkin till last weekend, and I definately noticed it being more stinky around the house...
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 2/15/2011, 12:25 pm

Pumpkin is your friend!! I stocked up at Thanksgiving, but I am already running low. If you find some, use it. About a spoonful with dinner each night. It has really, really cut back on all anal gland issues for my babies.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 2/15/2011, 12:46 pm

I have found that with many Pugs (of course there are exceptions) the more you express the glands manually the more they need expressing (like milking a cow or goat).

Express them naturally using a diet that causes nice firm poop and you are sooooo much better off!
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 2/15/2011, 12:54 pm

I have to agree about the pumpkin. None of mine have ever had to have their glands expressed-occasionally someone will "leak" a little, but it's very very rare.
They all get a spoonful of pumpkin at every meal.
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly 2/15/2011, 1:06 pm

I've noticed that Tilly has more anal gland problems when I feed her fish.
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathy 2/15/2011, 1:43 pm

Another vote for the pumpkin here. Once I added pumpkin to Winston's diet, his anal gland issues cleared up. Actually, he hasn't needed them expressed since I started the pumpkin almost 2 years ago.
Cathy
Cathy

Number of posts : 956

Back to top Go down

Post  MandyPug 2/15/2011, 1:57 pm

Puggered wrote:I have found that with many Pugs (of course there are exceptions) the more you express the glands manually the more they need expressing (like milking a cow or goat).

Express them naturally using a diet that causes nice firm poop and you are sooooo much better off!

^^^ That

Plus a word of warning to all puppy owners, once you start expressing them manually you'll have to continue doing it at least occasionally for the rest of their lives. I've never had any of my Pugs' glands expressed and they've never needed it because they do it on their own, they also have never scooted or "butt juiced" me ever. Don't just get them expressed just to do it (like if the vet or tech or groomer asks if you want them done) only do it if they absolutely need it.
MandyPug
MandyPug

Number of posts : 830

Back to top Go down

Post  Dayna 2/16/2011, 12:01 pm

I've tried pumpkin with Bear before but he won't eat it. Thanks everyone for replying. He's going to the groomers tomorrow and hopefully that will fix him right up. He and Bella had a sleep over with Granny last night and she's keeping them tonight too so she can take him for us in the morning. I think my FIL was happier to see his grandpugs than he was to see his son!
Dayna
Dayna

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 2/16/2011, 1:36 pm

Dayna wrote:I've tried pumpkin with Bear before but he won't eat it.

A couple of ours wouldn't eat the pumpkin at first. I just kept mixing it in their evening meal and now they love it.

I suggest keep trying! hug dog
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 2/17/2011, 12:48 am

Dayna wrote:I've tried pumpkin with Bear before but he won't eat it.

Mine don't even know they are eating it, as is is pureed into their wet mix.
If I have visitors that I think need it, it is thoroughly stirred into an equal amount of something irresistible, usually either raw minced roo or poached flaked chicken and 99% of them gobble it down. The other 1% go hungry altogether. Their choice.I've never had one starve themselves to death yet. Very Happy
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  thminis 2/17/2011, 1:36 am

Real quick, consider asking the groomer how they express the glands. The Petsmart groomers here do it from the outside, where as the vet does it from the inside. From the inside you have more leverage and are able to really fully express the glands IMO (I do Bella's from the inside). Just a thought. Hopefully it's just the full glands and all is well!
thminis
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down