Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Foster tips???

+4
TNPUGMOMOF3
Saira
SacramentoPugs
Snort
8 posters

Go down

Foster tips??? Empty Foster tips???

Post  Snort 3/1/2011, 12:41 pm

We will be fostering a young-ish not-yet-neutered pug for one of our local rescues. I have had several short term fosters through here before but they were all spayed/neutered . This fella spent many weeks in the shelter and developed pneumonia that he needs to get rid of before undergoing the neuter.
I thought Id check in with all of those experienced fosters and see if you have any tips for me so that his stay here is comfortable for everyone involved.
I have 3 neutered males and a kitty cat, Im hoping that everyone will get along pretty well but I really havent had any unneutered dogs around before.
I have lots of crates around here and will make sure they are all separated when we arent here.
Hmmmm, Im thinking I might need to find a belly-band for him too......
Holly
Snort
Snort

Number of posts : 69

Back to top Go down

Foster tips??? Empty Re: Foster tips???

Post  SacramentoPugs 3/1/2011, 1:35 pm

Yes, a belly band will probably be your new best friend! Very Happy

My best advice is to feed them separately (possibly a separate room altogether for the foster) until you know if he has issues with food aggression. Be careful when handing out treats to the whole group, too.
SacramentoPugs
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 3/1/2011, 1:41 pm

SacramentoPugs wrote:Yes, a belly band will probably be your new best friend! Very Happy

My best advice is to feed them separately (possibly a separate room altogether for the foster) until you know if he has issues with food aggression. Be careful when handing out treats to the whole group, too.

Yup, I always feed mine separately (they all have their spots) and I watch out for treats. Keeping them separated when you aren't home is a good idea-I always do with mine, because I like to see how they interact.

Belly bands are always good to have on hand. He might try to mount too so a squirt bottle might be needed. At least that was my experience with a recently neutered pug I fostered. Very Happy

Poor guy, I hope he feels better soon!
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 3/1/2011, 6:41 pm

More than one BELLY BAND!
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 3/1/2011, 6:46 pm

TNPUGMOMOF3 wrote:More than one BELLY BAND!
Yep--and I use the Poise pads rather than regular menstrual pads to line the belly band. More absorbent in my experience.

Hopefully, he won't be an arse, but some are. Poor guy. Hope he recovers quickly.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 3/2/2011, 12:45 am

He'll be a lucky guy to spend some time with you - hope all goes well and he gets better soon.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Snort 3/2/2011, 3:05 pm

Thanks for the tips!
The rescue sent along some belly bands and pads and he tried one squirt last night when he first got here but he is actually being better than I thought.Outdoors is a different story! My god he marks like 20 times before his bladder is empty!
First night went not too bad, he was freaking out a bit in his crate so I plopped a piilow and blanket on floor in front of his crate and read my book quietly right beside him. He eventually settled down and only woke up once in the night, I waved at him from the bed and that seemed to settle him right back down again.
He is a real little cutie, but yesterdays vet visit discovered not only the pneumonia he is being treated for but also a partial tracheal collapse , something about his short pallett, and blindness in one eye. Poor little fella! Ive been putting lubricating drops in his eyes and he is very good . I think he needs to see an opthalmologist. Despite the tracheal narrowing the vet said he would be able to neuter him at some point. Cant wait for that , it seems very frustrating for him to have those hormones coursing through him. Ive got him tethered to me so he doesnt get a chance to try humping the others much.
My entire pack is behaving so well! They are so calm which i think is helping " Doug" .
Ill have to take some pictures.
Holly
Snort
Snort

Number of posts : 69

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow 3/3/2011, 12:00 am

Maybe they could scope his throat when he's under for the neuter? And remember that the testosterone takes about 6 weeks after neutering to leave the system, so don't expect behavioural changes overnight.
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda 3/3/2011, 9:02 am

glad he's doing well and thank you for fostering!
Brenda
Brenda

Number of posts : 2221

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down