Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

pulled muscle?

5 posters

Go down

pulled muscle? Empty pulled muscle?

Post  PhoebesMommy 3/8/2011, 10:47 am

Lastnight I thought I was going to have a heart attack, and possibly got a few gray hairs. Phoebe and Raja do their nightly wrestling. We usually ignore it unless they start biting cheeks (which is usually 5 minutes into their brawl) Anyway I wasnt paying attention to them lastnight til I heard Phoebe do a loud scream. She screamed for it seemed to be 2-3 minutes straight. She was favoring her left rear leg. I picked her up and didnt feel anything broken but she was limping. Of course she hid under the kitchen table and I had to get her out. After about a half hour she was putting a little weight on it but still walked with a weird swagger. She sometimes does walk with a swagger (usually after a long day of playing and is on a leash) and last time the vet said that she was still growing and he would check her once shes a little older. I kept her calm the rest of the evening she wanted to be on my lap anyway. This morning she was still walking a little funny. Could she have twisted something? Possibly pulled a muscle? I do have an appointment for her Friday morning for her bordetella shot. However since my vet does it every 6 months he doesnt charge an office visit for the one on the 6mth mark when shes only in for that. Which Friday will be the one I dont get charged a visit. They will just take her back and do the shot and send me on my way. Does anyone suggest I get her checked while were there if shes still favoring it? Or is possibly being a drama queen and wanted me to call into work sick today just to spend time with her...shes been known to do things like that Rolling Eyes
PhoebesMommy
PhoebesMommy

Number of posts : 901

Back to top Go down

pulled muscle? Empty Re: pulled muscle?

Post  Renee 3/8/2011, 1:42 pm

I know some will suggest crate rest and observation for a few days before a vet visit...

But, not me. I am too paranoid. I would make an appointment and get her in so they can check her out. At the same time, you can get some painkillers for her, if she has swelling or is in any pain.

I hope she's okay and heals up quickly. These muscle injuries scare me!
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 3/8/2011, 1:56 pm

Renee wrote:I know some will suggest crate rest and observation for a few days before a vet visit...

But, not me. I am too paranoid. I would make an appointment and get her in so they can check her out. At the same time, you can get some painkillers for her, if she has swelling or is in any pain.

I hope she's okay and heals up quickly. These muscle injuries scare me!

I'm a worrier too, so I have to agree with Renee. I took Mac in once for xrays because he was limping at times and it was absolutely nothing, but I'd rather know.

I hope Phoebe is feeling better soon!!
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  Snifter&Toddy 3/8/2011, 2:28 pm

I would imagine some painkillers or anti-imflammatories would help her so I'd personally visit the vet sooner rather than later.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  PhoebesMommy 3/8/2011, 3:43 pm

Thanks ladies! What kind of pain killers can I give her? Shes never given me this much of a worry before. Also, she does have a vet visit scheduled Friday morning for the bordetella shot, can I wait til then or get her in maybe tomorrow?
She is crated while im at work so I know shes not at home right now getting herself into any more trouble or hurting herself even more.
PhoebesMommy
PhoebesMommy

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 3/8/2011, 4:01 pm

I have always used Rimadyl for my pugs, although there is another one that is often prescribed. I can't think of the name right now. You would need to get some of the painkillers from the vet.

Check her tonight when you get home. If she is still limping / tender, then I would try to get in to see the vet tomorrow.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  PhoebesMommy 3/8/2011, 4:35 pm

Renee wrote:I have always used Rimadyl for my pugs, although there is another one that is often prescribed. I can't think of the name right now. You would need to get some of the painkillers from the vet.

Check her tonight when you get home. If she is still limping / tender, then I would try to get in to see the vet tomorrow.
Thanks again. I will see how she feels tonight and make a decision. I will take her in tomorrow if need be, if she seems to be just fine and back to her ever so bratty self I will still have then xray her on Friday when were in.
Is Rimadyl the stuff she got when she had her spay? I know they gave her some pain medicine and told me to give it to her as needed and I dont think she needed any of it. I have it somewere (i think) Would it be ok for me to give it to her if she seems to be in pain or wait to see what the vet tells me?

Sorry for all of the crazy questions, but this is the first time she has hurt herself...up til now shes been good about spending my savings Wink
PhoebesMommy
PhoebesMommy

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 3/9/2011, 7:47 pm

How is she feeling today??
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PhoebesMommy 3/9/2011, 9:23 pm

Shes fine this evening! YAY! Back to her normal "crack dog" self. Shes still going to be completely checked over on Friday when shes in to be sure theres nothing wrong. Spoke with the vets office this morning to tell them that our office visit will be extended on Friday.
PhoebesMommy
PhoebesMommy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down