Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coughing? Help!! Video. *Update*

+5
Renee
LisaIzzyAggy
Aussie Witch
Miss Pit
Lindsey
9 posters

Go down

Coughing? Help!! Video. *Update* Empty Coughing? Help!! Video.

Post  Lindsey 3/27/2011, 11:41 pm

Hubby and I went out to dinner. My sister is visiting when she texted for us to get home, Jack was "coughing." This has been going on since about 5pm. He'll be fine for 20mins then go into coughing (I think coughing fits), fits for 2-3mins. What do you think? The link below is a video that I took a little while ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1GWo00jZPw

Last edited by Lindsey on 3/27/2011, 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lindsey
Lindsey

Number of posts : 2033

Back to top Go down

Coughing? Help!! Video. *Update* Empty Re: Coughing? Help!! Video. *Update*

Post  Lindsey 3/27/2011, 11:42 pm

He can drink water.
Right now he is calm, while he sits with my sister.
Lindsey
Lindsey

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Pit 3/28/2011, 12:13 am

Was Jack at the groomers and the one kept for a long time there? Sorry,I'm sleepy and don't remember. Or have you been to any dog parks or events? he sounds like he's doing a kennel cough honk,but it sounds juicy. So it's making me wonder if he has something in his throat,like a piece of grass,twig,etc. Were you able to look in his throat and possibly feel around in there?

Trish

Miss Pit

Number of posts : 986

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindsey 3/28/2011, 12:23 am

Trish...Thanks for responding. YES! Jack was the one at the groomers for a very long time. Yes, Hubby looked down his throat and saw nothing. It just dawned on us about 10mins ago, that it could be Kennel Cough. I just you tubed some videos of dogs with kennel cough and Jack sounds very similar to those dogs. It's just so scary.
Lindsey
Lindsey

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 3/28/2011, 12:41 am

That poor baby! I'm going with kennel cough too. Get him to the vet as soon as you can - is there an emergency vet open nearby? It's not a DIRE emergency, he can wait until the morning, but you're all going to have a pretty miserable night. At the very least I would phone a vet and get some advice on a suitable OTC cough medicine from the pharmacy (make sure it doesn't have any Xylitol!) to get you all through the night until you can see a vet first thing. I hope all is okay!

And unfortunately the others will probably get it. sigh

So sorry Lindsey!
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindsey 3/28/2011, 12:56 am

Thanks Rona, I'm not so panicked at this moment.
Yes, I will phone the vet and see what they say, and yes, he will be going in first thing in the morning.

I'm beyond PISSED that he has contracted this. I have the groomers home phone number and had husband to call to inform them (they have 9 dogs of their own, 3 of which are pugs, one of their newest puppies was at the shop at the same time Jack was there), we think Jack has kennel cough.

This is very upsetting for us. Not only are our dogs infected by this, but we took the pugs out to the in-laws house yesterday and the day before, they have 4 dogs, two of which are pugs. We've called and informed them, what's coming.
Lindsey
Lindsey

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 3/28/2011, 7:39 am

I'm sorry Lindsey. I hope Jack is doing better this morning.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 3/28/2011, 12:41 pm

Lindsey, I'd be pissed too.

I know some people don't think kennel cough is a big deal... but, not one of my pugs has ever had it, and I want it to stay that way!! When Arctic Tails (where I take my pugs for grooming / daycare) had kennel cough, I kept my pugs away.

I hope no one else gets it. Poor babies.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  SacramentoPugs 3/28/2011, 1:38 pm

After everything else you went through with that grooming shop, to have Jack contract kennel cough on top of it is just ridiculous. I'm so sorry. I'd encourage you to post a review on Yelp to let others know of your experience.
SacramentoPugs
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindsey 3/28/2011, 2:18 pm

Called the vet first thing this morning. Jack has an appointment at 2:00.
We got no sleep last night. We kept Murphy and Lillie in their crate and Jack with us. Poor baby, just wanted to sleep and he couldn't. He's exhausted.

We called the groomers at home last night at 9pm and left a voicemail, not placing blame, but letting them know that we believe Jack has kennel cough and since he was playing with their bull mastiff puppy, they should know (since they have 9 dogs!). No more than 5mins later they sent my husband a Facebook Message basically saying that they keep their place very sanitize, and possibly Jack brought it in himself. Of course, they hope the gets well and keep them updated. Ughhh...
Lindsey
Lindsey

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel 3/28/2011, 2:34 pm

omg - poor puppy. that sounds horrible! I hope Jack's cough goes away soon. Hug
Mel
Mel

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel 3/28/2011, 2:36 pm

p.s. for them to put any blame on you at all is terrible business. they really need a lesson in customer service, huh? after all this, I'm sure you won't be going back any time soon. and what's even more stupid on their behalf is that you will tell everyone about your horrible experience. I'll bet they shut their doors soon.
Mel
Mel

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Pit 3/28/2011, 2:50 pm

It doesn't matter how well they sanitize or not. Here's a good example of how much it can travel and be contagious. My husband went to an outdoor dog event. None of our dogs went. A few days later our cat Miss Stanley was coughing like a goose. this is our cat that gets seizures so off we went to the vet with her. It was kennel cough. the vet explained that since there are so many different strains of it,it can and will cross over to other species. He said since my hubby was at a dog event,he could have came in contact with an infected dog and brought it home with him,by brushing up against a dog or even picking it up on his clothing or boots. Poor Jack,I hope he gets better soon Coughing? Help!! Video. *Update* 27965

Trish

Miss Pit

Number of posts : 986

Back to top Go down

Coughing? Help!! Video. *Update* Empty Update

Post  Lindsey 3/28/2011, 7:11 pm

Thank You Everyone, for the well wishes!
We are home from the vet.
It is confirmed, Jack has kennel cough.
He is on three different meds to help get it under control. A steroid (for 3 days), antibiotics and then a cough suppressant. We also, are going to start Murphy on the antibiotic, just be safe, since Murphy has been falling Jack around when begins to cough. Lillie has been staying away from Jack. She must know he is not feeling well, OR She's irritated that attention is off the Diva and is sulking.

The groomer people have wanted to be kept updated on Jack, which is nice, I guess. Rolling Eyes
Lindsey
Lindsey

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 3/28/2011, 7:26 pm

Lindsey wrote:Thank You Everyone, for the well wishes!
He is on three different meds to help get it under control. A steroid (for 3 days), antibiotics and then a cough suppressant. We also, are going to start Murphy on the antibiotic, just be safe, since Murphy has been falling Jack around when begins to cough. Lillie has been staying away from Jack. She must know he is not feeling well, OR She's irritated that attention is off the Diva and is sulking.

The groomer people have wanted to be kept updated on Jack, which is nice, I guess. Rolling Eyes
Before you rip the groomer a new one, let me tell you that kennel cough is (1) highly contagious even before a dog shows symptoms and (2) can be caught from a dog sniffing a blade of grass that another infected dog has coughed/drooled/dripped on. It's almost impossible to avoid it if it's going around. Sure, if your dog is coughing you should keep him away from other dogs, but the incubation time on kennel cough is usually 3 to 10 days and a dog is contagious before the coughing starts.

So the reality is that Jack MAY have brought it with him to the groomers or any one of a number of dogs, exhibiting no symptoms, may have brought it in with them. There's almost no way to know for sure.

Yes, it is usually self limiting and I don't usually treat it at all unless, like Jack, they are really having a tough time. And you do want to worry about secondary infections with kennel cough, especially in the brachycephalic breeds.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindsey 3/28/2011, 7:32 pm

northernwitch wrote:
Lindsey wrote:Thank You Everyone, for the well wishes!

Before you rip the groomer a new one, let me tell you that kennel cough is (1) highly contagious even before a dog shows symptoms and (2) can be caught from a dog sniffing a blade of grass that another infected dog has coughed/drooled/dripped on. It's almost impossible to avoid it if it's going around. Sure, if your dog is coughing you should keep him away from other dogs, but the incubation time on kennel cough is usually 3 to 10 days and a dog is contagious before the coughing starts.

So the reality is that Jack MAY have brought it with him to the groomers or any one of a number of dogs, exhibiting no symptoms, may have brought it in with them. There's almost no way to know for sure.

Yes, it is usually self limiting and I don't usually treat it at all unless, like Jack, they are really having a tough time. And you do want to worry about secondary infections with kennel cough, especially in the brachycephalic breeds.

Blanche- Thank You, for your perspective, expeirence and advice.
I'm just happy to know what he has and how to treat it. The last 24hrs have been exhausting for Jack and us. He's finally sleeping, which makes me happy.
Lindsey
Lindsey

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 3/28/2011, 7:38 pm

It's no fun, that's for sure. I just wanted you to understand that it's really hard to keep any place antiseptic enough to avoid kennel cough. The most common places that dogs catch it--dog parks and vet's offices. It really is that contagious. My vet won't even let a dog with suspected kennel cough wait in the waiting room. You have to wait in your car or outside, go immediately into the examining room when they call you and then the place is immediately scoured with their disinfectant--including following the dog to and from the exam room if you can't carry the dog (which is what my vet prefers so that no part of the dog touches the common areas).

And the vaccine doesn't guarantee the dog won't get it. I don't vaccinate for it any longer as the only time I did vaccinate everyone for it, everyone got it. My dogs get so much exposure to foster dogs, boarding dogs, the dog park etc, that they have developed a fairly good immunity to it.

But it is a God awful sound and really is miserable for everyone when the dog is hacking like poor Jack is.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 3/28/2011, 11:03 pm

Poor Jack! KC does sound awful. We went through this not too long ago with my foster Bart. He developed kennel cough-like Blanche said, by the time the symptoms show, they are already contagious. My others actually didn't get it-only Hooli got a very mild version, no meds. But it definitely sounds terrible!

Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 3/29/2011, 7:40 am

Knowing what you're dealing with and that it's easily treated is a big relief! I hope he gets over it quickly and the others don't come down with it.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down