Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PDE, new info from my vet

+2
thminis
Rebecca and the Pugs
6 posters

Go down

PDE, new info from my vet Empty PDE, new info from my vet

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 4/29/2011, 1:00 am

From my vet Dr. Byam's facebook page:

Pug peeps~exciting news from UC Davis! There is now a genetic test for Pug Dog Encephalitis markers. Spread the word!
This is such great news for the breed! 11% of Pugs carry both genes for this disease, and 1 in 8 of those who have 2 copies of the gene will develop PDE. Breeders should screen for this and try to eliminate it from their lines.
note don't try complete eradication or we will lose genetic diversity. But if pugs are even heterozygous for the gene (meaning only one copy and not 2), it will be great news! Pugs with 2 copies of the gene are 12 times more likely to develop PDE than those who are negative or heterozygous. http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/services/PDE.php

Last edited by Rebecca and the Pugs on 4/29/2011, 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

PDE, new info from my vet Empty Re: PDE, new info from my vet

Post  thminis 4/29/2011, 1:09 am

Wow, that sounds like a really great, promising discovery. Like your vet mentions, breeders who don't know what there doing could really mess up any biodiversity, but bad breeders will always mess something up. The good breeders (and owners, vets, etc) will really benefit from this.

I have to say, though, the question looming in my head is, do I test my pugs at home...
thminis
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 4/29/2011, 1:30 am

thminis wrote:
I have to say, though, the question looming in my head is, do I test my pugs at home...

Yes, my first very selfish thought before saying "what great news".
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 4/29/2011, 3:32 am

I saw Kelly's post and was over the moon at the news! I wanted to post it on the PDE site but it's down at the moment. Better look into it.

And as to testing, I wouldn't. It doesn't mean your Pug will definitely get it if the results show the gene, but you would be panicking for the rest of the Pug's life. The devastation and sense of foreboding would be unendurable. Unless they find a cure or a way to stop it developing, there are some things you don't need to know. We're incredibly lucky in Oz that it is so extremely rare you don't really consider it happening.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsavers 4/29/2011, 11:55 am

I just sent the info the Northern CA Pug Club folks (ie the breeders). It will interesting to see their response!
Pugsavers
Pugsavers

Number of posts : 1541

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel 4/29/2011, 11:59 am

unfortunately, it won't stop the byb's, which is where I got Jack. ashamed (this was before I knew of rescue)
Mel
Mel

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down