Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let's talk about losing weight

+5
pugdad michael
smoochieface
northernwitch
Saira
akc0104
9 posters

Go down

Let's talk about losing weight Empty Let's talk about losing weight

Post  akc0104 4/1/2009, 11:50 am

Matilda needs to lose a little bit of weight. She went from puppy to fluffy fairly quickly. I've heard a gazillion things that I can put in her food to fill her up. What do you suggest?

Right now, she gets Nature's Recipe venison kibble twice a day, 1/2 of what the bag suggests. She's just turned 1 year old and is very energetic. lol
akc0104
akc0104

Number of posts : 1742

Back to top Go down

Let's talk about losing weight Empty Re: Let's talk about losing weight

Post  Saira 4/1/2009, 1:26 pm

Get another puppy! Very Happy Just kidding, but that is what seemed to have helped Hooligan keep his weight off!

Actually what helped him was adding exercise (since he would sleep all day if he could), and then we added plain green beans. It seemed to work since he lost about 4 lbs from his heaviest and has kept if off.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 4/1/2009, 2:25 pm

When I feed kibble, I give no more than 1/4 to 1/3 cup per meal. Green beans help as does adding a dollop of pumpkin.
I tend to be the "fat camp" for pug rescue as I keep my guys pretty busy and on pretty strict rations.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 4/1/2009, 2:48 pm

What's the rule of thumb for how much green beans to give? I'm glad we're doing this after my mom dogsat, she'd be calling me crazy. Very Happy
akc0104
akc0104

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 4/1/2009, 3:27 pm

There was a time we had to take Bruno down from 29lbs to 22lbs -- he was grossly obese and it was killing him. We basically halved the amount of dry kibble he had been getting, made up the difference with cooked frozen broccoli or green beans, cut out 95% of his treats, and tried to get him more exercise. I'm thinking it took us about a year to get all the way there, but it really made a difference in his life.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  pugdad michael 4/1/2009, 4:33 pm

We use canned green beans, but we make sure they're unsalted. I think Del Monte makes them.
pugdad michael
pugdad michael

Number of posts : 171

http://www.CafePress.com/RainbowPugs

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 4/1/2009, 7:00 pm

Just a head's up--if your dog is hypothyroid--broccoli is a no go as are all the cruciferous veggies (cabbage like veggies). If you google cruciferous vegetables--you'll get a list--it's too long for me to post.

Likely not an issue with you, but since I have a hypothyroid dog, I know this is an issue.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PugMomTo2 4/4/2009, 1:39 am

We use the DelMonte unsalted canned green beans too. Daisy gets about 1/4 cup and Huck gets about half that. They also get a heaping tablespoon of pure canned pumpkin.

Daisy tends to gain weight easily and we feed her exactly half the amount of dry food that we feed Huck.
PugMomTo2
PugMomTo2

Number of posts : 83

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 4/4/2009, 8:19 pm

Thanks everyone for their info! I really appreciate it. :)
akc0104
akc0104

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 4/5/2009, 10:33 am

When Jackson had to lose weight, I just cut his food back. Didn't even add any fillers. I know, mean mom. I did give him somewhat more for his dinner portion than his breakfast, so I didn't have to listen to him whine about being hungry, but honestly, he only seemed hungry for about a week, and then he seemed like he was used to his new portion.
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Newsie96 4/7/2009, 4:27 pm

I tend to just watch what I feed. I mix Wellness regular (for small breeds) and the weight management together and give each pug under a half a cup, two times a day. (Murphy actually gets closer to 1/4 of a cup because he tends to bulk up quicker. Duke was fat before we got him as his vet records indicated he lost a few pounds.

I'm careful with what they snack on, too. They get a cookie when I leave for work and something to chew on (flossie, etc.) in the evening. My coworker once thought I was starving Murphy when he heard what he ate, but then again his pug was fat and he couldn't figure out why. Uh, too much kibble?

I have done green beans in the past when Murphy needed to shed a few pounds. But now that we have Duke, it keeps him pretty toned now that they run around the house.
Newsie96
Newsie96

Number of posts : 996

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 4/7/2009, 8:08 pm

I finally got to the store tonight and Matilda was able to try green beans. There was semi chewed green beans all over the floor. LOL. Chloe came along and cleaned it up for me.
akc0104
akc0104

Back to top Go down

Post  ForeverHopper 4/8/2009, 10:26 pm

I feed 4 out of 6 pugs Nature's Recipe Senior since it's lower in calories. I also blanche fresh green beans and chop them up for them. thye tend to go ntus over the fresh ones than the canned ones for some reason. I'll blanche carrots sometimes too and mix it up with the beans. Thye are fed 1/3 cup 2 times a day.
ForeverHopper
ForeverHopper

Number of posts : 301

http://www.centralfloridapugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down