Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Talk to me about cookbooks

4 posters

Go down

Talk to me about cookbooks Empty Talk to me about cookbooks

Post  northernwitch 11/10/2011, 8:42 pm

I know quite a few rescues do them. It's been suggested that we do one and I've kind of volunteered to put some time into it (yes, I do have a big sign on my forehead that says "CHUMP").

So what's involved other than the obvious--getting recipes and pictures. Are there copyright issues with people using recipes from old cookbooks or from cooking websites? How do you bind them--get fancy or just use the cerlox (sp) binder? Do you print up a bunch and sell them or do you do like we did with the Bob book and use a press that prints on demand?

Inquiring minds want to know.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Talk to me about cookbooks Empty Re: Talk to me about cookbooks

Post  Pugsavers 11/10/2011, 9:15 pm

I did my first cookbook about 25 years ago...it was a family cookbook..back in the day when I had to type up all the recipes. Talk about a pain in the arse and a time suck!! Then the first one I did with rescue was with the other Pug rescue...we had someone who worked at a printer but we still had to help putting the suckers together. Another big time suck.

With PugSavers we have used Morris Press which allows people to input the recipes themselves on line. Then someone from your organization will have to proof all of them (Rebecca did our 2 books). You need to get the photos and other info for the inside pages and the cover, then you have to order in bulk. It is generally a lot cheaper to buy in bulk than to do a POD type of thing. You can't make much of a profit on the POD type of cookbooks, but you don't need to schlep books around for a few year either.

Since unlike calendars, cookbooks can be sold for many years so I don't think if it as being a problem..in fact it is great always having something that is not just pug-specific to sell at different events.
Pugsavers
Pugsavers

Number of posts : 1541

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 11/10/2011, 9:26 pm

Thank you, ma'am.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 11/10/2011, 9:42 pm

Morris Press does have it set up so that your contributors can type in their own recipe. It saves lots of time, but you may have to go back and reformat if you want abbreviations to be the same. You can also set the limit of recipes people can post. And... some of the recipes may be the same so you may need to deal with that. But, as questions come up, I would be happy to try to remember details.
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 11/10/2011, 10:31 pm

Thanks Rebecca. Did you guys do human and dog recipes?
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 11/10/2011, 10:33 pm

northernwitch wrote:Thanks Rebecca. Did you guys do human and dog recipes?
Yes, we paid extra to have custom categories so we could do human and dog recipes. It is cheaper if you do their standard categories. We also paid extra to have a custom cover and custom dividers with pictures. I have a pdf of our More Pugs in the Pantry Cookbook on my work computer I can forward to you if you want to see what we did. I won't be back at work until Monday though.
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 11/10/2011, 10:45 pm

Rebecca and the Pugs wrote:
northernwitch wrote:Thanks Rebecca. Did you guys do human and dog recipes?
Yes, we paid extra to have custom categories so we could do human and dog recipes. It is cheaper if you do their standard categories. We also paid extra to have a custom cover and custom dividers with pictures. I have a pdf of our More Pugs in the Pantry Cookbook on my work computer I can forward to you if you want to see what we did. I won't be back at work until Monday though.
That would be great if you wouldn't mind, Rebecca. And there's no rush.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 11/11/2011, 4:35 pm

Having contributed recipes to several fund-raising cookbooks, I must say that PugSavers' More Pugs in the Pantry was the easiest ever. I was able to add notes and comments, and was very pleased with how they came out. Pugsavers' Pugs and the More Pugs have become some of my go-to cookbooks, by the way.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down