Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Penny has pancreatitis. Again.

+18
thminis
Not Afraid
We're Here
Aussie Witch
FurSprinklers
sallyandtilly
TxAllieGrl
Rebecca and the Pugs
Mel
MommaJones
Pugsavers
MackandMattiesMom
HK Pugs
SacramentoPugs
Milosmom
northernwitch
Renee
Pugsaunt
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Penny has pancreatitis.  Again. Empty Penny has pancreatitis. Again.

Post  Pugsaunt 11/16/2011, 5:44 pm

As Allie would say, f*ckity f*ck f*ck. Poor baby. At least this time it is not as bad as the last time. Just one episode of firehose diarrhea and a total refusal to eat. The problem is with the dogtor we saw. The only dogtor in the practice who could see her yesterday is one we have never seen. And will never see again. She has all the personality and flexibility of a George Forman grill. The last pancreatitis episode she had firehose diarrhea for several days and was much sicker than she is now. The dogtor she saw then (who was not available yesterday, dammit) said it was ok to give her chicken and rice and to give her pills in the Wellness 95% canned salmon. This dogtor said no on the chicken and rice and she could only have a wet prescription gi food. We settled on the Purina (I know, gack) EN, since it was the only one that didn't have corn (both the Royal Canin and the Science Diet did). I sleep with her, and the pancreatitis farts are bad enough, I'd prefer not to add corn farts on top of that! The dogtor also said no on the Wellness salmon and, essentially, no on everything else. She actually told me to push the pills (sucalfrate and tramadol) down her throat. I don't think so!!!!!!! For one thing, if Penny doesn't want to open her mouth, it won't open. For another thing, if I did get it open, it would close. Immediately. On my fingers. And, finally, it strikes me as a bit of a breach of trust.

Last night, she inhaled the pills hidden in a blop of the Purina EN. Today, she won't touch it, and she won't touch the Wellness salmon, either. Not even if I warm them in the microwave for a couple of seconds. I am at my wit's end. She needs the medications! So, despite what Dr. Personality said, I'm gonna try poached chicken chest and white rice and see if she will take her pills hidden in poached chicken. Any other ideas? I'm gradually losing it and really don't want to take her back to the dogtor for them to give her the medications. But, if that's the only alternative, I will. Anything for my girl.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Penny has pancreatitis.  Again. Empty Re: Penny has pancreatitis. Again.

Post  Renee 11/16/2011, 6:05 pm

Well, first of all - many good thoughts for Miss Penny Lane, and for you!

Second... you have been through this before, so I think you know what you are doing and are perfectly capable of knowing the proper food to give Penny. I think you can ditch the Purina stuff and go with a very bland diet. It worked last time, so no need to change it. I am a little surprised they advised you to feed her, as most pancreatitis patients should be fasted for 24-48 hours in order for things to settle down.

As for the meds, anything to get them down is better than nothing. My new current favorite way to get Tobey to take her meds is to shove a pill in some mac and cheese noodles. Due to the intense mac n cheese discussions here lately, I have been making homemade mac n cheese like a madwoman, Penny has pancreatitis.  Again. 547493. Lot's of extras in the fridge!!
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 11/16/2011, 6:11 pm

Renee wrote:Well, first of all - many good thoughts for Miss Penny Lane, and for you!

Second... you have been through this before, so I think you know what you are doing and are perfectly capable of knowing the proper food to give Penny. I think you can ditch the Purina stuff and go with a very bland diet. It worked last time, so no need to change it. I am a little surprised they advised you to feed her, as most pancreatitis patients should be fasted for 24-48 hours in order for things to settle down.

As for the meds, anything to get them down is better than nothing. My new current favorite way to get Tobey to take her meds is to shove a pill in some mac and cheese noodles. Due to the intense mac n cheese discussions here lately, I have been making homemade mac n cheese like a madwoman, Penny has pancreatitis.  Again. 547493. Lot's of extras in the fridge!!
Thanks for the confirmation, Renee. Going back to the dogtor to get the pills down her is the absolute last resort. Kellie is going to get some pill pockets on her way home from work, and I'm gonna try everything in the fridge. If it takes cheese, well, so be it. I've got mac and cheese in the fridge, too. And we are going to a different dogtor in the practice for her recheck. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, all she is going to get for today is pills along with whatever it takes to get them down her and water.

And yes, I am a nervous wreck.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 11/16/2011, 6:15 pm

Crap! Good thoughts out to Penny and a hug for you, Nancy
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Milosmom 11/16/2011, 6:25 pm

Poor sweet Penny (and mom to). I always hate hate hate! seeing a new vet, esp one that contradicts what my longtime and well trusted vet has advised me to do before. Most of the time I take the comments and go but then do what I know Dr Mark would suggest Penny has pancreatitis.  Again. 6260 (I always tell him about it later though as he knows I won't go anywhere else unless it's a last resort). Since you've been through this before, I'm confident you can convince her to take her own meds by whatever kind means needed (i.e. good food) and toodle on past Dr Personalities judgement.
Milosmom
Milosmom

Number of posts : 1178

Back to top Go down

Post  SacramentoPugs 11/16/2011, 6:30 pm

Well, crap. Saw the thread title and my heart went out to you both right away. I'm glad it doesn't seem to be as intense or advanced as the last time she had it, but it still sucks nonetheless.

I agree with Renee, you know what Penny needs in this case more than the yucky plastic vet does. Do what worked before, and call one of the good vets at the practice with questions. (Later, it's probably a good idea to follow up with one of the senior vets in the practice and tell them about your experience. They'll want to know that you were treated poorly.)

I know what you mean about the breach of trust with pills. I had to pill my cat a long time ago, and took her by the scruff and jammed that pill as far back into her throat as I could, per the vet's instructions. The look of horror and utter distrust she gave me afterward literally made me cry.

Much love to Penny Lane, Reno's most beloved pug diva!
SacramentoPugs
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Post  HK Pugs 11/16/2011, 8:13 pm

I agree, what Renee said!

Sending a gentle hug a kiss to Miss Penny Lane and hope she feels better soon. Penny has pancreatitis.  Again. 335895
HK Pugs
HK Pugs

Number of posts : 1550

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 11/16/2011, 8:48 pm

Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 11/16/2011, 9:07 pm

Ugh, poor Penny. I can so relate to her. They fasted me for a couple days when I had pancreatitis too. Anyway, can you crush the pills and mix them with something yummy? Biscuit takes a lot of pills so I have a pill crusher. I crush them and add them to some soft food and she gobbles it right down. I hope Penny is better soon.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsavers 11/16/2011, 9:10 pm

Tell Penny Lane that her Auntie Roxane feels her pain! Pancreatitis sucks the big one!! Sending lots of good thoughts for a quick recovery.

When I had to get pills down Betty (she was a beeotch when it came to taking pills) I finally resorted to grinding them down in a mortar, adding a little broth and then putting them in a syringe and sticking it in the side of her mouth. They went down where they were supposed to and she wasn't too angry at me.

Let me know if you need anything, I can be up there in a few hours if you do!!
Pugsavers
Pugsavers

Number of posts : 1541

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 11/16/2011, 9:15 pm

Poor Penny Lane. I hope she feels better very soon!

Pugsavers wrote: I finally resorted to grinding them down in a mortar, adding a little broth and then putting them in a syringe and sticking it in the side of her mouth. They went down where they were supposed to and she wasn't too angry at me.

This is brilliant! I must remember this.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel 11/16/2011, 9:22 pm

oh no! well that sucks. I've been having problems with Zoe's allergy pills. The really expensive one she's on right now is huge! she took it with peanut butter for the first week and then no way. now she won't even take the little zyrtec. So I have go grind the Zyrtec and put it in her food. The allergy meds are not so easy. It's a liquid on a capsule. I've had to resort to poking a hole in the capsule and sqeeze the liquid onto the food. not the best solution, but right now it's working. doc said we can go do liquid form all together (and generic, thank DOG) as soon as she's been on this one for awhile.

good luck with your lil diva. I hope she's well soon! and hugs for you! Penny has pancreatitis.  Again. 27965
Mel
Mel

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 11/16/2011, 9:28 pm

Poor Penny Lane. I am sorry that she is ill.
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 11/16/2011, 9:33 pm

poor Penny! poor you!!! I agree with the others - do what worked before (and your trusted vet said was ok), get those pills in her, and follow up with a vet you like in a day or two (give him/her a call).

sending many good thoughts for both of you.

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly 11/16/2011, 9:46 pm

Sorry to hear Penny is sick again. Hope she gets well soon.
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  FurSprinklers 11/16/2011, 11:11 pm

Sorry to hear Penny is sick....

Can you wrap the pills in a bit of deli meat?
FurSprinklers
FurSprinklers

Number of posts : 675

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 11/16/2011, 11:36 pm

A ton of good thoughts for you both. I hope you find a way to get the meds in her. Big hugs.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  We're Here 11/17/2011, 12:43 am

Oh dear, can you do the bait and switch----morsel without goodie, morsel with goody, morsel without goodie--Penny might not fall for it, she is one smart girl. Has she been grazing on cat food? (I can relate to the lousy vet story, I just blew a hundred dollars on worthless vet, worthless vet advice myself.) Hugs to you both.

We're Here

Number of posts : 893

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 11/17/2011, 2:05 am

Poor Penny! I hope she feels better soon!
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  thminis 11/17/2011, 3:29 am

I'm so sorry to hear Miss Penny is having another bought of Pancreatitis. My old roomie's shepherd gets it chronically. He's now on a low fat gi diet 24/7 and can only have one type of low fat treats. He can't have anything else.

Low fat is the key with pancratitis. I agree with the others, you know what's best for Penny. I would be really, really, really careful with what you hide the pills in. Well, I would tell anyone else to be really careful. I know that you're in tune with her enough to know if she isn't feeling better and needs to go back to a dogtor. The problem with pancreatitis is is can sneak up on you. As you know, bad cases do best with supportive hospital care (mainly those IV fluids). If she isn't taking much in, maybe stopping in for some fluids may help her perk up a bit?

The tricky thing is with the pills is that obviously, as you know, if you can get them in her, they can take affect and she can feel better. Is it metronidazole (it's the magic gi drug for us)? If it isn't, silly question, but is it a drug the vet could do injection? I like Roxanne's suggested method. If you're worried about the fat/salt contents in chicken broth, maybe you could get a can of the prescription low fat gi food just to add a lot of water to and dissolve the pill in? Some meds aren't supposed to be crushed, but I don't know the logics behind that and if it really changes how the meds work.

I forget, can Penny have beef? Will she more happily eat boiled hamburger than chicken? Boiled ground turkey?

I know pushing the pill down Penny's throat sounds horrible and difficult, but if for a few days that's what ends up needing to be done, don't beat yourself up about it. If it's what she ends up needing to feel better, a few hugs and treats down the road later will make her forget all about it. You really, truly do know what's best for her and what's normal for her. Trust your gut on what she can have, what the risks vs benefits are, and if she needs to see a vet again or is doing okay at home. I'll be keeping you both in my thoughts.
thminis
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 11/17/2011, 8:31 am

Poor Penny Lane. You and her are both in my thoughts and prayers. Hope she takes her meds like a good girl and that she is feeling much better soon.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  Imon 11/17/2011, 10:06 am

I'm sorry to hear Penny's not feeling well.

Does she like bread? Otto will happily scarf down anything hidden in a piece of bread. And that might not upset her stomach very much.

In the past, I've used a piece of plain cooked pasta to put a pill in for Otto (a piece of ziti or a shell works well) and he'll eat that.

Hope she is feeling better very soon.
Imon
Imon

Number of posts : 1898

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 11/17/2011, 12:59 pm

How about stinky liverwurst? They seem it like it and the smell helps cover up the meds?

My Bullmastiff got a very bad case of it once, but never had problems again. I will keep her in my prayers. I am sure it's harder on the seniors!
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 11/17/2011, 1:21 pm

Dang, I hope Penny takes her meds and begins to feel better soon.
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 11/17/2011, 3:57 pm

Well, things are looking up. She is taking her pills hidden in a bite of poached chicken chest. We are limited in what I can use to hide her pills, given her problems with wheat/corn/soy. I gave her a bit of the canned gi food this morning, and she did well, and even had an almost normal poop. Not back to her usual round/firm/fully packed, and still on the way there. At least it is not diarrhea.

Theresa, Dogtor Personality put her on Sucalfrate and Tramadol. Sneered when I suggested Flagyl/metronidazole. She was essentially NPO for two days, and is getting just small feedings today. I've got to get to the store for more chicken chest and some white rice.

After much thinking, I have decided to go to another vet practice. We have been going to the current one since she came home with me, and we had one dogtor for four years who loved Penny, and Penny loved her and we both trusted her. When she moved out of town, we switched to another who Penny liked, and she left shortly thereafter. Now there is only one vet there that I feel good about, and it would have to be life and death and no other dogtors in town before we see Dogtor Personality again. And this is the second most expensive vet practice in the area. So we are trying another practice that has gotten very good reviews and is very reasonably priced.

Renee, that article is very interesting and gives me much to think about. I knew that she would be prone to recurrance, and am just very grateful that this was nowhere near as bad as her first bout with pancreatitis. I thought we were going to have to burn the carpet in the living/dining room. I'm gonna check those enzymes out.

Thank you all for your good thoughts. I know that they have helped. I heart my pugfriends!
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next