Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Emergency vet visit :(

+7
Buddy's Mom
Aussie Witch
Snifter&Toddy
Not Afraid
Lu Ci and Ri Ki
Renee
Stitch Chan
11 posters

Go down

First Emergency vet visit :( Empty First Emergency vet visit :(

Post  Stitch Chan 11/19/2011, 8:14 pm

Well we had to rush stitch to the emergency vet last night for poison control. Stitch had found a pack of my wife's gum, which contains Xylitol he literally ate the entire package wrappers, gum, everything. So off we went, and of course stitch got to find out the hard way about induced vomiting. The part that breaks my heart is when they were giving him the medicine he fought so hard, he was roaring at the vet, when he finally gave up he just looked at me like I betrayed him, I felt terrible, but we didn't want to take a chance with liver problems.
Stitch Chan
Stitch Chan

Number of posts : 275

Back to top Go down

First Emergency vet visit :( Empty Re: First Emergency vet visit :(

Post  Renee 11/19/2011, 8:30 pm

Awe, poor Stitch! Sounds like a rough night. But, you did everything right, so rest easy.

How is Stitch today?
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Stitch Chan 11/19/2011, 11:55 pm

Stitch as far as we can tell is ok, he hasn't shown any changes whats so ever. But we just got back from his regular vet and she wants us to watch him very closely, so he will be with us everywhere we go. She wants to do blood work in a couple of days just to make sure he is ok, she said its too soon to tell if the Xylitol is going to effect him so they want to wait and watch.
Stitch Chan
Stitch Chan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lu Ci and Ri Ki 11/20/2011, 12:24 am

Hope Stitch continues to do well and his blood work comes back good. These Puggies do keep us on our toes.
Lu Ci and Ri Ki
Lu Ci and Ri Ki

Number of posts : 569

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 11/20/2011, 3:40 am

I'm so glad you caught it right away. I know how dangerous Xylitol is for dogs. I've gotten to the point where I won't buy anything sugar free, but that doesn't prevent my stinkers from nosing in someone else's bag. So far, we've been lucky. I hope Stitch shows no signs of trouble.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Snifter&Toddy 11/20/2011, 4:27 am

Poor little sausage. Hope all is OK. I sometimes think our pugs behave worse at the vet if we are present. I know Toddy does because I have seen him kick up merry hell when I am there. Then, if they take him out back where we can't see each other but leave the door open so I can hear everything, it seems he is much better behaved. I used to feel a bit guilty about letting them take him out back but I figure that in the end, whatever makes him behave better is also less stressful for him.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 11/20/2011, 4:27 am

Thank you got him in time! Hope there's no after-affects. Pugs will get into anything, never give a chance again. Very scary!
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Stitch Chan 11/20/2011, 6:17 am

Vet says she feels stitch is in no danger, if his levels are elevated come time for blood work we will cross that road, she says there are lots of options if he starts having issues. He will more then likely be hospitalised if his levels are up, our vet loves stitch and wont let any other vets care for him or lilo.

I think when we hospitalise them she takes them home with her at night hehe. I don't care as long as she makes them better so i can continues my wrestling matches at night with my furkids, nothing is more cute to me than my pugs trying to attack me.
Stitch Chan
Stitch Chan

Back to top Go down

Post  Stitch Chan 11/20/2011, 9:09 am

Its closing in on 24 hours since it happened, he isnt abnormally tired, he isnt throwing up, he shows no signs other than being a playful dog. Crossing my fingers, it took us about an hour after ingestion to get him to the vet, when he did vomit we found the wrappers in there, the emergency vet said he doesnt feel it will effect stitch much, our normal vet pretty much said its wait and see. She says some dogs eat it and they are just fine, others eat it and don't make it.
Stitch Chan
Stitch Chan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 11/20/2011, 9:59 am

Porr little guy, I'm glad he is on the mend.

They put us thru the ringer don't they!

Back to top Go down

Post  Buddy's Mom 11/20/2011, 10:44 am

I'm glad to hear that he is continuing to show no signs of problems. I have had mine get into a few pieces before and it sure is scary! Keep us up on his progress.
Buddy's Mom
Buddy's Mom

Number of posts : 218

Back to top Go down

Post  Imon 11/20/2011, 11:34 am

How frightening! I'm glad Stitch seems to be doing well and hope he continues to be just fine.

My Otto ate a number of very odd things as a puppy - I'm glad he's past that stage. Xylitol is so dangerous to dogs that I don't have it in the house, but it's hard to check what visitors bring with them. Otto did snatch some chocolate chips cookies years ago, but not enough to be dangerous.

Fingers crossed for continued good news about Stitch.
Imon
Imon

Number of posts : 1898

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 11/20/2011, 1:59 pm

ah Chris - so glad you were able to get to the ER vet quickly and hopefully Stitch threw it all up. sending some good thoughts that he continues to show no signs of effects!!

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 11/20/2011, 3:23 pm

Your quick action made a big difference. Lots of hugs to Stitch and wishes for an uneventful recovery.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 11/20/2011, 4:31 pm

These little puggers get into everything. I'm glad you were able to get Stitch in quickly. Hopefully no lasting damage!
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  Stitch Chan 11/20/2011, 11:10 pm

Over 30 hours since he ate the pack, fingers still crossed. No signs of problems, this is the first time I have been overly scared for him, I think Im more scared for me, he means so much to me. He has grown on me so much since day 1, every night he cuddles with me under the blankets, my wife gets a bit jealous of it but its ok.

The vet keeps trying to ensure me thinks are going to be fine, she says she has medication set aside for stitch if the liver problems peak up, and that she will come to our house in the middle of the night to administer them if it happens like that. She said she is making sure everything is in place to take care of him incase.
Stitch Chan
Stitch Chan

Back to top Go down

Post  Stitch Chan 11/21/2011, 6:27 pm

Stitch started showing some of the symptoms of xylitol poisoning last night... He is drinking crazy amounts of water and had bad runny poops last night, he is going to the vet as soon as they open for blood work. Some positive thoughts and prayers would be appreciated.
Stitch Chan
Stitch Chan

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 11/21/2011, 6:38 pm

Stitch Chan wrote: Stitch started showing some of the symptoms of xylitol poisoning last night... He is drinking crazy amounts of water and had bad runny poops last night, he is going to the vet as soon as they open for blood work. Some positive thoughts and prayers would be appreciated.

Oh no!!!

Many good thoughts for little Stitch. Good luck at the vet's. Thank goodness you have a vet you trust. Keep us posted!
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Lu Ci and Ri Ki 11/21/2011, 6:38 pm

Oh, dear, I'm so sorry to be reading this - will be praying for Stitch.
Lu Ci and Ri Ki
Lu Ci and Ri Ki

Number of posts : 569

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down