Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quick Help/Advice

+9
Pugsaunt
smoochieface
ocnside
Brenda
akc0104
Aussie Witch
Renee
Saira
Dboardman
13 posters

Go down

Quick Help/Advice Empty Quick Help/Advice

Post  Dboardman 1/9/2012, 1:50 am

So my wife and I moved to a new house today, the neighbors have a dog that is in BAD shape. She is old, has obviously not been taken care of in an acceptable manner. When my wife saw her sitting chained in the backyard while it was raining she got pretty upset. Then when we were walking in the backyard she got up to come to us and you could see that she is about at the end. She cannot really walk, she has sores all over, and she keeps trying to poop but can't and when she squats she loses balance and stumbles. When we saw this we were both pretty upset, my wife made me go up and ask the neighbors what was up. They said that they knew she was in bad shape but didn't really know what to do with her. Well without thinking about it I offered to take her to get her put down, because I can see she is at that point. I have called around today and I cannot figure out what to do. The vets will not let me bring her in because she isn't my dog. Tomorrow the pound is closed in my county (Gwinnett) so I was going to wake up early and call around, anyone have any suggestions? If I say it's mine am I going to go to jail for animal cruelty? This dog is in rough shape, I don't think she has been abused just put to the side as it wasn't there dog to begin with it was inherited from when the wife's father died about a year ago.
Dboardman
Dboardman

Number of posts : 112

Back to top Go down

Quick Help/Advice Empty Re: Quick Help/Advice

Post  Saira 1/9/2012, 1:58 am

Thank you for trying to help. That breaks my heart. Did the neighbors agree to you taking her? If so, maybe you could get a relinquishment release from them?
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 1/9/2012, 1:58 am

Have them sign a contract that gives ownership to you, then take her to your regular vet, explain the situation, and let her go.

Bless you for doing what is right for this old dog. Her owners should be ashamed of themselves.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Dboardman 1/9/2012, 2:05 am

yea, they said that it was okay. I made plans so that the owner would leave her out on her leash after they leave for work and there children are at school and I would take her from there. I am *hoping* that someone is there so that I can have them sign something. I have already left a message for my regular vet, and I plan to call first thing in the morning. I called a 24 hour vet and they said not to even bring her in.
Dboardman
Dboardman

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 1/9/2012, 4:32 am

Can you please give her a night of warmth and love, and some good food in her belly before the final trip? Thank you for caring.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 1/9/2012, 10:59 am

Poor girl. Crying or Very sad Thank you for helping her.
akc0104
akc0104

Number of posts : 1742

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda 1/9/2012, 11:11 am

How heartbreaking! My heart just dropped reading your post. Thank you for taking the initiative to let her out of her misery. Poor gal. :(
Brenda
Brenda

Number of posts : 2221

Back to top Go down

Post  ocnside 1/9/2012, 1:37 pm

So horrendous. It is sad that people do not realize that having a dog/cat is like having an infant/toddler, especially animals with issues! I always taught my girls that there is no such thing as an outside dog/cat. Its like taking a baby and setting it in the middle of the street, going to work, and hoping it is fine at the end of the day!! I cannot get on my Quick Help/Advice 257673 or I won't get off about this subject.
Thank you for doing the right thing and if they give you the dog, can you save it? or at least let it be warm and fed?
ocnside
ocnside

Number of posts : 718

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 1/9/2012, 3:46 pm

You are good people and I commend the neighbors for at least letting you give the dog a dignified ending.

Call the vet and ask if they will accept a relinquishment form from the owners and ask specifically what they want the form to say. If you can post that information, I can draft a quick and dirty relinquishment form and email it to you. If the vet can't give you information about what the form needs to say, let me know and I can still put something together and send it to you. Have the neighbors sign the form and take it to the vet. That will take care of the legalities.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 1/9/2012, 4:43 pm

Poor thing, I can't imagine how frightened and sad she must be. Bless you for doing the right thing for her.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Dboardman 1/9/2012, 5:17 pm

I took her this morning. I couldn't tell the breed or anything but after getting her to the vet we found out that she was a Chow mix, weighing in at just 25 lbs, which is nothing at all considering that she was about twice the height of my pug Lola. She enjoyed the ride to Atlanta which is about a 45 min ride. After getting to the vet they took over from there. The vet was going to give her an exam and then let me know what was going to go on from there. She is in good hands at this point and if they feel that she can make a turn around then she will more than likely be adopted out. I am hopeful that that is the case but the poor girl was rough to say the least. Hopefully I will get an update on her before they close tonight.

While looking for a vet though we did call the animal control for the county right next to mine as our local animal control is closed today. There exact words were it's not there problem, and to put her back where I found her. If I could have jumped through the phone I'd be in cuffs for laying that lady out. People with an attitude like that should NOT be working with animals. If it's against the rules I understand, but make a attempt and helping out a fellow animal lover.
Dboardman
Dboardman

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 1/9/2012, 5:21 pm

Dboardman wrote:I took her this morning. I couldn't tell the breed or anything but after getting her to the vet we found out that she was a Chow mix, weighing in at just 25 lbs, which is nothing at all considering that she was about twice the height of my pug Lola. She enjoyed the ride to Atlanta which is about a 45 min ride. After getting to the vet they took over from there. The vet was going to give her an exam and then let me know what was going to go on from there. She is in good hands at this point and if they feel that she can make a turn around then she will more than likely be adopted out. I am hopeful that that is the case but the poor girl was rough to say the least. Hopefully I will get an update on her before they close tonight.

While looking for a vet though we did call the animal control for the county right next to mine as our local animal control is closed today. There exact words were it's not there problem, and to put her back where I found her. If I could have jumped through the phone I'd be in cuffs for laying that lady out. People with an attitude like that should NOT be working with animals. If it's against the rules I understand, but make a attempt and helping out a fellow animal lover.

You did good. At least that poor dog is going to be warm and safe. I hope she has some more time left. And what an awesome vet!

Yeah..it's really tough working with AC. We even have actual laws here they could use if they wanted to, and they rarely bother to do anything.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 1/9/2012, 6:05 pm

Dboardman wrote:I took her this morning. I couldn't tell the breed or anything but after getting her to the vet we found out that she was a Chow mix, weighing in at just 25 lbs, which is nothing at all considering that she was about twice the height of my pug Lola. She enjoyed the ride to Atlanta which is about a 45 min ride. After getting to the vet they took over from there. The vet was going to give her an exam and then let me know what was going to go on from there. She is in good hands at this point and if they feel that she can make a turn around then she will more than likely be adopted out. I am hopeful that that is the case but the poor girl was rough to say the least. Hopefully I will get an update on her before they close tonight.

Thank you for helping her. It's an amazing thing you did, not everyone would have the guts to step up like that. If she doesn't have more time left, at least her last days will be spent in a more caring scenario and she will have a dignified passing.
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 1/9/2012, 6:09 pm

Thank you for being what we all hope is human, but know that so many lack the compassion to see that the poor dog is suffering. You went above and beyond. I would rather see a dog humanely euthanized than abandoned and left for dead. People (most) suck.
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Deanna 1/9/2012, 6:24 pm

I am so thankful for people like you who at least is giving this girl a chance if the vet deems it. Not everyone has the compassion you do and truly wish there were more people like you.
Deanna
Deanna

Number of posts : 349

http://www.pugrescueofmo.com

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 1/9/2012, 6:56 pm

Sounds like you found a great vet!
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 1/9/2012, 8:50 pm

Tyson&LuLu'sMom wrote:

Thank you for helping her. It's an amazing thing you did, not everyone would have the guts to step up like that. If she doesn't have more time left, at least her last days will be spent in a more caring scenario and she will have a dignified passing.

I can't say it any better than Becky did. Quick Help/Advice 335895

I had a dog that was part chow. I loved that honery little beast with all my heart.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  ocnside 1/10/2012, 8:57 am

That is great. I truly hope she pulls out and is adopted out, she is thanking you Quick Help/Advice 27965
ocnside
ocnside

Number of posts : 718

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down