Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ok officially freaking out about travel?!?

+7
SacramentoPugs
MackandMattiesMom
elisemarie
ocnside
ayleash
PugMomto3
Stitch Chan
11 posters

Go down

Ok officially freaking out about travel?!? Empty Ok officially freaking out about travel?!?

Post  Stitch Chan 2/14/2012, 4:15 am

The military airlines states that the carrier size has to be 20L x 12W x 8H, this is for a dog up to 20 pounds, the problem is when I measure stitch he is 17 inches tall? Can someone try to explain this to me? it says on the websites that a dog has to be able to stand up without their head touching to top of the carrier? Hos the hell does any pug fly in cabin if that is the case?

I also researched the dimensions and it is also very common with other airlines?
Stitch Chan
Stitch Chan

Number of posts : 275

Back to top Go down

Ok officially freaking out about travel?!? Empty Re: Ok officially freaking out about travel?!?

Post  PugMomto3 2/14/2012, 8:32 am

I think he is meant to lay down in the carrier, not stand. I flew only once with a pug. I brought a rescue pug back from Oklahoma to NJ back, she flew in a sherpa bag under the seat in front of me. She was about 18 pounds and laid down in the sherpa bag for the journey. I put her in the very last minute before boarding the air craft and immediately after I left the plane I removed her and carried her in my arms. Never can a pug survive being in cargo.
PugMomto3
PugMomto3

Number of posts : 543

Back to top Go down

Ok officially freaking out about travel?!? Empty Re: Ok officially freaking out about travel?!?

Post  Stitch Chan 2/14/2012, 9:07 am

Well it says the dog must be able to stand up and turn around inside the carrier. It's a 9 hour flight from Tokyo to Seattle, I just want to get them there, the rest of the way I think were gonna road trip instead of flying. If need be im gonna shell out the money for a international transportation service, I don't care about the cost my babies are coming home with me.
Stitch Chan
Stitch Chan

Back to top Go down

Post  ayleash 2/14/2012, 9:15 am

I suspect he will be able to crouchingly turn around. There's no way around it - it will be stressful for him.. and for you... but mostly dogs I have witnessed and traveled with (not my own, but once) kind of "shut off" when it gets to be too much... one note: keep tabs on the temperature of the floor beneath the carry bag - it can heat up... and of course, it vibrates, which can be kind of soothing... I have been sure to put newspaper thicknesses under the sherpa bag to muffle temps/ etc.
ayleash
ayleash

Number of posts : 1496

Back to top Go down

Post  ocnside 2/14/2012, 9:41 am

I am not sure about traveling with pets bc I don't think I could ever do it without being on meds myself, I am a hot mess when they are just at home....but can you check another airline or keep them with you if you purchase a seat for them??

I have seen cats sitting with folks in their carriers...

can you have a vet write you something??
ocnside
ocnside

Number of posts : 718

Back to top Go down

Post  Stitch Chan 2/14/2012, 10:03 am

Well just an update I contacted the HQ of the airlines and they said soft sided carriers that are not collapsible are allowed. So that eliminates some of the worry.
A couple of days ago I called the supervisor that works there and he said "honestly they won't even measure the bag" basically telling me that going over the regulation a bit that they would turn a blind eye. I looked up the specs of the aircraft there is 11 inches of height under the seat of a 767 aircraft.
If push comes to shove I will get my commanding officer to pull some strings for me to get them on board. Fingers crossed that everything works out.
Stitch Chan
Stitch Chan

Back to top Go down

Post  ocnside 2/14/2012, 10:11 am

I would absolutely pull strings so that they can be with you!
ocnside
ocnside

Number of posts : 718

Back to top Go down

Post  elisemarie 2/14/2012, 11:43 am

I don't think the airline is going to scrutinize the relationship between the height and weight of your pup to the size of the carrier - unless the carrier seems excessively cramped or over-sized.

It's too bad you can't drive from Toyko to Seattle. Crying or Very sad

I avoid air travel as much as possible with my puggas. I had to fly with Toby from Arizona to Ohio after my husband passed on. Toby was too big to fit under my seat, and I know it can be damn cold in the baggage hold of an airplane. The idea of a soft, well insulated pet carrier sounds like a good way to go.

I agree ... maybe you can reserve a seat for your babies in the main compartment, or get your Commanding Officer to order Preferential Seating (hopefully in First Class !!!!!) for you and your fur babies.

Safe travel !!!! hug dog
elisemarie
elisemarie

Number of posts : 296

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 2/14/2012, 11:54 am

I traveled from Florida to Washington state with a rescue pug in a large soft sided Sherpa and she did just fine. It was a very long day for us both. They did not masure her at all (Southwest Airlines) and she actually got a lot of attention from the flight attendants. She was even overweight for their requirements but nobody said a word.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Post  SacramentoPugs 2/14/2012, 2:29 pm

I flew a few times with my last pug, Rhoda. She was very used to her sherpa bag, so she was totally quiet -- and not a single airline employee seemed to know she was there, or so much as asked me about her. I had booked her on my ticket, and had a spanking new health certificate to show if needed, but nope -- nobody even looked our way.
SacramentoPugs
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 2/14/2012, 2:47 pm

My Beau (Gone in 2010) was brought up to me in a Sherpa bag back in 2003. Admittedly it was less distance, only from Seattle to Anchorage, but he did fine. Beau was a BIG pug, weighing in at almost 30 lbs at the time.

Don't tell anyone weights, ALWAYS say 15 lbs... if they check, be surprised.
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  ayleash 2/14/2012, 6:46 pm

Maryjo wrote:Don't tell anyone weights, ALWAYS say 15 lbs... if they check, be surprised.

ABSOLUTELY... Look strong and confident as you stand holding the sherpa on your shoulder (i.e. when you are making "first impressions" at the counter.) Probably no one will blink.
ayleash
ayleash

Number of posts : 1496

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 2/14/2012, 8:26 pm

I have flown from TN to AK and TN to CA. No one ever checks or weighs anything. All they want is the money! To Alaska the pug was on my lap the entire flight and only about half way through did she even notice and then she said she was supposed to be in the carrier. I informed her she had been out for hours and she didn't even know, so unless someone complained, she was staying right where she was!
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  DappleDoxieStaff 2/14/2012, 10:45 pm

**They did not masure her at all (Southwest Airlines) and she actually got a lot of attention from the flight attendants. She was even overweight for their requirements but nobody said a word.**

The Dapple Duo flew on SW from Tulsa to San Diego and back in their soft side kennel. For two weeks we practiced in the front room. Two benedryls, a tasty treat, and a nap in the crate in a box i built to mimic the seat in front.
On the plane, we used Early Bird to sit in the very back of the plane, on the window. the skin of the plane is cooler, so they stayed comfy.
At check in, at boarding, departure, deplaning - nowhere did anyone raise an eyebrow at the Doxies. Not weight, not number, not crate room.
If you want a link to the crate I used (sherpas were a total no-go for us), lemme know.
DappleDoxieStaff
DappleDoxieStaff

Number of posts : 787

http://dappledoxiestaff.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 2/15/2012, 8:40 am

Just make sure you get all the health and vaccination stuff taken care of at all the appropriate times. I'd look into that on both the Japan end and the US end.
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down