Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Onyx's yeast is back and nothing has changed in a year.

+8
Old Mother Hubbard
northernwitch
lisamak
Pugsavers
Snifter&Toddy
sallyandtilly
ocnside
Tom&Onyx
12 posters

Go down

Onyx's yeast is back and nothing has changed in a year. Empty Onyx's yeast is back and nothing has changed in a year.

Post  Tom&Onyx 2/15/2012, 9:35 am

Hey, it's been quite a while since I've posted on here. Onyx has been on Stella & Chewy's for a year or so I would say and he's been great. No ear infections, no yeast, completely healthy. Within the last two months, it's all come back. Worse than I remember it ever being. I'm not sure if it's seasonal or if there's more to it. My girlfriend and I are both vegan, so I know that detergents and stuff are not an issue, my apartment is all hardwood, no carpet. I know he's allergic to chicken and beef, he's had nothing but lamb as I know that is the one thing I've found has never been an issue. His dander right now is horrible with all the itching he's been doing and baths seems to just make him worse. He's always had a shiny coat, never like this. That could be the winter affecting him. Really though, nothing has changed in a long time, so I found it odd that it's all flared back up. Anyone else ran into this happening or know ways to go about fixing it? I've already been back to the vet several times, it just never seems to fully fix the problem at hand. Thanks in advance.
Tom&Onyx
Tom&Onyx

Number of posts : 25

Back to top Go down

Onyx's yeast is back and nothing has changed in a year. Empty Re: Onyx's yeast is back and nothing has changed in a year.

Post  ocnside 2/15/2012, 9:45 am

Julian is allergic & only doers lamb too............he is on Nuvet n it seems to keep him pretty healthy considering his past!
lets just say I thank God he wasn't worse...Its like a super vitamin

http://www.nuvet.com/products.html?sectionid=17
ocnside
ocnside

Number of posts : 718

Back to top Go down

Onyx's yeast is back and nothing has changed in a year. Empty Re: Onyx's yeast is back and nothing has changed in a year.

Post  sallyandtilly 2/15/2012, 9:54 am

Allergies can and do change. Tilly used to be allergic to fabric softener, now she isn't. She used to be able to eat beef, now she can't. I think potatoes contribute to yeast in case your dogfood has potatoes in it. Tilly's ears itch when I even let her chew on dried sweet potatoes. It's trial and error with each dog and not an easy road.
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  Snifter&Toddy 2/15/2012, 10:07 am

I have also heard that allergies can change. I'd try switching the food protein and see if that helps. Try fish, duck or venison. Good luck. Allergies are such a pain.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsavers 2/15/2012, 11:11 am

I agree to try a good quality fish based diet, just as a check. I have known few pugs tha have allergies to fish.

If the food switch doesn't work, you may have to look in to allergy testing. Back in the early 70's our family had a Peke that had a lot of grass and pollen allegies but allergy shots worked like a charm. But I would try the food options first.
Pugsavers
Pugsavers

Number of posts : 1541

Back to top Go down

Post  lisamak 2/15/2012, 2:14 pm

Hi there - sorry Onyx is having issues. When you say yeast do you mean in the ears and fold only? Or does he have it coming thru his skin? Typically yeast in ears/fold is a food reaction. Bear in mind, an allergic reaction (like yeast production) is an attack on a compromised immune system. So if anything else was going on with Onyx (let's say you went away over the holidays and boarded him - he got depressed - his immune system was compromised) then he can have an allergy flare-up. Whenever something is thrown out of whack it invites the allergy back in - make sense?

Also, though you and your partner are vegan, doesn't mean he isn't allergic to something you use in the house. Anyone can be allergic to anything, however environmental allergies typically present on the skin first. Just something to bear in mind moving forward.

Allergy dogs should get a salmon oil supplement on a regular basis (I usually use Grizzly brand or Wild Arctic) IMHO. Salmon oil has natural anti-inflammatory properties to help with allergies and the omega oils help boost the immune system.

For regular maintenance on Onyx do you use Zymox in his ears? Malaket wipes for his fold? These are both anti-fungal, gentle products you can use every day if necessary to keep yeast at bay. You can also use the Zymox in ears for an active infection (we use Zymox Otic 1% with hydrocortisone) and in about a week the infection will be gone (same goes for the wipes in fold). After that use it a couple times a week for regular maintenance (instead of cleaning ears with q-tip or such - its a liquid you squirt in and just ignore while it does its thing).

If you want to do a food change I'd go to a fish-only at least for the short-term (make sure to check labels, lots of brands will include other proteins down in the ingredient list you'll have to be wary of). I know Stella & Chewy's does surf and turf but don't think they do fish only. If you are using raw you can do Primal Sardine chubs (they don't have in patties or nuggets unfortunately). If you want to try dehydrated raw (what I use), Honest Kitchen has Zeal which is a fish-only food. If you want to do kibble you can use Natural Balance limited ingredient sweet potato and fish, Orijen 6-Fish, Acana also has a fish-only (they're Orijen's sister company), Taste of the Wild Salmon...that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Good luck!
lisamak
lisamak

Number of posts : 160

http://www.mydogcatering.com

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 2/15/2012, 2:24 pm

Just a few bits of advice from the Allergy Wars.

I'm VERY careful about using anything with steroids in it. Eye stuff, ear stuff, etc. It can be absorbed through the tissues and steroids suppress the immune system. My one dog is on a very low dose of prednisolone since his adrenals have been destroyed by his years of high dosage steroids--I don't want any other steroids in his system if I can avoid it. So caution is needed with the wipes and ear stuff that Lisamak is suggesting. My dog is an extreme case, but I'm always careful with steroids in any iteration.

I generally try to switch proteins if I can (with some regularity) as the constant exposure to just one can develop a sensitivity so I rotate my proteins regularly.

One of my dogs has salmon allergies so careful on the salmon oil. I'd try herring oil--there is one for dogs called Noble's Herring Oil. Salmon used to be a unique protein but no longer is as it's in so many dog foods. I switch up between omegas--and my dogs get huge doses of it (3 times the dosage on the packaging as per instructions from my homeo vet) and coconut oil.

How dry is your apartment/house? My one allergy guy gets itchy in the winter due to how dry the house can get AND because he tends to sleep up against the gas fireplace. The fireplace issue both dries him out and makes him sweat which encourages yeast growth.

And dogs can be allergic to vinegar, borax, baking soda, etc so even being a 'green home' doesn't guarantee anything, sadly. I'd also be changing the dog beds regularly to kill off any yeast (and staph which will take advantage of weakened skin due to yeast). I cover my dog beds with crib sheets and then wash those in VERY hot water and rinse them twice.

I've been cleaning recently with a cleaner made from Orange oil which works and doesn't cause Tank to react.

However, before you overhaul your entire life--start with the food first then move out from there.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lisamak 2/15/2012, 4:40 pm

northernwitch wrote:Just a few bits of advice from the Allergy Wars.

I'm VERY careful about using anything with steroids in it. Eye stuff, ear stuff, etc. It can be absorbed through the tissues and steroids suppress the immune system. My one dog is on a very low dose of prednisolone since his adrenals have been destroyed by his years of high dosage steroids--I don't want any other steroids in his system if I can avoid it. So caution is needed with the wipes and ear stuff that Lisamak is suggesting. My dog is an extreme case, but I'm always careful with steroids in any iteration.

Just as an FYI, Zymox is an enzymatic solution available with or without the hydrocortisone (steroid) and the Malaket wipes don't contain any steroids - they're just anti-bacterial/anti-fungal.
lisamak
lisamak

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 2/15/2012, 5:19 pm

lisamak wrote:
northernwitch wrote:Just a few bits of advice from the Allergy Wars.

Just as an FYI, Zymox is an enzymatic solution available with or without the hydrocortisone (steroid) and the Malaket wipes don't contain any steroids - they're just anti-bacterial/anti-fungal.
Good to know, Lisa. I use the Malaceptic wipes when needed on my guys and can get the wipes with the steroid, but don't use them often. Is the Zymox OTC or vet only?

The other thing I've used with some success with really stubborn ear/hot spot issues is Burow's Solution.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  lisamak 2/15/2012, 5:29 pm

Zymox is available online and in shops OTC - I usually get it at Entirelypets.com or Amazon. The OTIC is available w/ or w/o hydrocortisone. It also comes as a spray and ointment (again w/ or w/o hydrocortisone) for itchy/hot spots elsewhere on the body. Lots of vets carry in their offices as well but of course cheaper online.

For the wipes I specifically use the Mal-a-Ket by Dermapet, they don't offer a version with steroids as far as I've ever seen. They're basically a knock-off of the now defunct Malaseb Pledgelets (but they smell way better). They also have a spray and a shampoo (again, smells way better than most ketoconazole shampoos for yeasty skin).

Never heard of Burrow's Solution but guessing it may be a regional thing?
lisamak
lisamak

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 2/15/2012, 7:37 pm

lisamak wrote:Zymox is available online and in shops OTC - I usually get it at Entirelypets.com or Amazon. The OTIC is available w/ or w/o hydrocortisone. It also comes as a spray and ointment (again w/ or w/o hydrocortisone) for itchy/hot spots elsewhere on the body. Lots of vets carry in their offices as well but of course cheaper online.

For the wipes I specifically use the Mal-a-Ket by Dermapet, they don't offer a version with steroids as far as I've ever seen. They're basically a knock-off of the now defunct Malaseb Pledgelets (but they smell way better). They also have a spray and a shampoo (again, smells way better than most ketoconazole shampoos for yeasty skin).

Never heard of Burrow's Solution but guessing it may be a regional thing?
Nope--not regional--I learned about it from you Americans--the Burow's solution, that is.

The wipes I use are called MalAcetic and are made by DermaPert. I've not seen the Mal-A-Ket, but will look for them. There is a wipe that has a steroid in it and I'm blessed if I can remember what it's called. when Tank first came we did use those on him as he was an unholy oozey mess.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Mother Hubbard 2/15/2012, 8:55 pm

Just switched over to the California Natural Kangaroo about 2 months ago and upped their fish oils and pro biotics . Sweet potato is a no go here as it gives Wellie the worst reactions.
Old Mother Hubbard
Old Mother Hubbard

Number of posts : 257

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 2/15/2012, 9:57 pm

We have yeasty dogs, too. Eliminatnig potato, sweet potato, and severely cutting down (haven't gotten ourselves to cut it out comletely) sugary foods like apples, bananas, and carrots has really helped control the yeasty ears and noses.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom&Onyx 2/18/2012, 12:46 pm

I'v always been able to keep his ears under control for the most part, he went so long without a single ear infection after switching to the raw. He's never had any real issues with his folds as I've always kept them pretty clean. It's mainly his skin right now, black and smelly, constantly lapping his paws, loss of hair on his belly, nothing I haven't been through before as yeast has always been his biggest issue. I just hate seeing that it's made it's return after having it under control for as long as I did.
Tom&Onyx
Tom&Onyx

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 2/18/2012, 2:27 pm

Tom&Onyx wrote:I'v always been able to keep his ears under control for the most part, he went so long without a single ear infection after switching to the raw. He's never had any real issues with his folds as I've always kept them pretty clean. It's mainly his skin right now, black and smelly, constantly lapping his paws, loss of hair on his belly, nothing I haven't been through before as yeast has always been his biggest issue. I just hate seeing that it's made it's return after having it under control for as long as I did.

Try a treatment of ketaconozole (sp?), at least to help clear things up - then re-evaluate a food change. You can get the meds from your doctor. Might also consider a course of antibiotics to clear any infections lurking from the yeast.

Possibly just a change in protein could help. Or, see if you can find a food that does not use high glycemic veggies, like sweet potatoes.

Many people have good success with homecooked diets. You could look into that too. Lew Olsen has a great book on homecooked diets, and one especially for yeast issues.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom&Onyx 3/27/2012, 8:24 am

I decided it was time to get the allergy testing done. It's been a long time coming and something I should have probably done long ago. I'm going into the vet this morning to get the results so I have a better idea of whats triggered his breakouts over the years and hopefully get it all under control once and for all. I will let you all know what they've found. I'm very curious!
Tom&Onyx
Tom&Onyx

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 3/27/2012, 2:04 pm

Good idea on the allergy testing.

It's what I love about this forum - we have such a wealth of knowledge and the people with that knowledge are so generous in sharing it. I hope you get some helpful answers with the testing.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom&Onyx 4/3/2012, 9:18 am

I have have taken Onyx to a new vet in the area for a new set of eyes on his allergies and I figured with a new start, allergy testing was the best thing to begin with. It turns out it wasn't a food allergy as my original veterinarian had assumed. Onyx's main allergies are dust mites, feline dander, a type of grass and a type of tree. So with no carpet in the house, I've gotten a swiffer in which I'm going to use daily and with the three cats we have trying to eliminate the dander as much as possible is all that we can do to help improve. My vet has reccommended me to give him 10mg Zyrtec once a day as needed to help. Any further suggestions here would be appreciated. This vet I'm bringing him to now is straight out of school and is all for me feeding Onyx raw. My old vet was strongly against it. He says Onyx is also in the best shape he has ever seen for a pug and it shows that I am doing something right with the feeding and the amount of exercise that he gets. So all in all I'm pretty satisfied changing veterinarians and hopefully I can get his allergies under control once and for all.
Tom&Onyx
Tom&Onyx

Back to top Go down

Post  GracieNEmma 4/3/2012, 9:49 am

So glad to hear you got some answers with the allergy testing. We haven't done that yet as my vet does think it's environmental but we'll have to do it soon if Gracie's skin doesn't stop getting these outbreaks. She was on Claratin and now we've switched her to another allergy medicine. My vet suggested switching up the antihistamine every so often so their bodies do not become immune to it so something you may want to think about. Another suggestion would be to wipe them down. Every time my girls go outside, I wipe their bodies down and do a good wiping on their paws, since they do tend to lick those every so often. Allergies are so hard to figure out!! I swear that Gracie's just appeared overnight. She was fine one day and the next she started itching like crazy and it went crazy after that. Emma had an outbreak as well. I gave her a probiotic since she was on an antibiotic and she had a reaction to that. Haven't given it to her since and she's been fine so I'm guessing it was that. Good luck and keep us posted on how he's doing.

ETA: I'll have to get the name of the shampoo my vet RX'd us but it's a calming shampoo. You may want to look in to that as well. Just my Onyx's yeast is back and nothing has changed in a year. 2144500265
GracieNEmma
GracieNEmma

Number of posts : 1065

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down