Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blood in urine.. uti or stones help!

+6
ocnside
Maryjo
H the P
Aussie Witch
Renee
M3P
10 posters

Go down

Blood in urine.. uti or stones help! Empty Blood in urine.. uti or stones help!

Post  M3P 3/11/2012, 3:21 am

Went to the vet friday afternoon under the assumption my 2 year old spayed pug daffney had a uti ... frequent random urination spots all over the house... She had a blood and urinalisis done... but the vet was unable to confirm a uti or give antibiotics until blood results came in which isnt until monday... fri she was fine only saw one drop of blood in urine until now... she just urinated and blood drops are on the floor all over the pee pad the pee was gigantic and she ran from the litter box to me with a trail of blood drops across the floor. She is now wearing a pamper to keep track of any more blood and non in the past 20 minutes...

I read up on both the calcium and struvite stones... but would like to know symptoms

Last edited by M3P on 3/11/2012, 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total
M3P
M3P

Number of posts : 35

Back to top Go down

Blood in urine.. uti or stones help! Empty Re: Blood in urine.. uti or stones help!

Post  Renee 3/11/2012, 4:00 am

The two best diagnostic tools are a Culture & Sensitivity and an x-ray.

First, do the culture & sensitivity to determine if she does indeed have an infection and which antibiotics to use. I assume when you say cbc, you may mean c&s?

Get the xray done so you can know right away if there are stones in there. Granted, some stones may not show up, there is a chance, but more than likely they will show. Getr the x-ray done while you wait on the C&S results.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Blood in urine.. uti or stones help! Empty Re: Blood in urine.. uti or stones help!

Post  Aussie Witch 3/11/2012, 4:48 am

Oh dear! If the vet has taken a sample to send out for a C & S, you can immediately start her on a broad spectrum antibiotic. Absolutely essential! You only hold off until a sample is taken, so the meds don't skew the results. When the results are back and you know what meds the bugs are sensitive to, you can start another course if they are different drugs to the ones you started. It's bad medicine not to start ANYTHING. Clavamox would be fine until the results come in.

I would be on the vet's doorstep first thing demanding some antibiotics. UTI's are very painful and your girl can't possibly be feeling well. Hope you can clear this up soon.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  H the P 3/11/2012, 1:57 pm

We've recently been through something similar. Straight to the vet. A steroid shot together with an antibiotic shot, administered within 3 hours of finding pee/blood on the floor, seems to have halted the infection in its tracks. We've just finished a further 7 day course of antibiotics and - fingers crossed - all is well. hug dog

H the P

Number of posts : 1241

Back to top Go down

Post  M3P 3/11/2012, 10:41 pm

So frusterating... the vet isnt open sundays but you can be sure ill be there first thing tomorrow morning... Daffney is acting normal eating,drinking, playing ... but she still has accidents and no control over them...

We called the emergency vet last night and they told us inorder to bring her in we would be charged the minumum $100 and then have to have all the tests re-done within there facility... I had just paid $300 on friday for the same test.Blood in urine.. uti or stones help! 319810

STUPID VET why would he let us leave with out antibiotics. I've had a UTI and couldnt imagine being three days without medication!Blood in urine.. uti or stones help! 574694
M3P
M3P

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 3/12/2012, 4:13 am

Damn! Yes, at the vets as soon as they open. Don't let any idiot try to talk you out of thise (they shouldn't but sheesh, they should have given you some in the first place, so they're pretty negligent). I'm glad Daffney doesn't seem depressed and in too much pain.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 3/12/2012, 12:59 pm

I just want to say I believe in this situation, a broad spectrum antibiotic right away, while waiting on results, is probably a good idea. BUT, it is not always a good idea for every situation. Overuse of antibiotics can lead to degrading their effectiveness. I recently had a C&S done on my girl pug, and I elected not to start any antibiotics until I got the test results back. I think I did the right thing, based on my experience, knowledge, and the presenting symptoms.

Like I said though, in this case, with that much blood in her urine that is visible, an antibiotic treatment right away would be best.
Renee
Renee

Back to top Go down

Post  M3P 3/13/2012, 5:49 pm

WE HAVE ANTIBIOTICS!!

So after being the angry protective mommy I can be ... I called the vet 2 minutes before it actually opened and ...suprise suprise they vet wasnt working.. well daffney wasnt going to wait another day..so i suggested hey have the vet who was working take a look at her results... 2 hours later i received a call back and antibiotcs were wating at the counter to be picked up...

the vet had said to try the antibiotics up until friday and if the blood was gone then it was just a uti...but if it doesnt go away we will have a xray and culture set up...

She is eating well,drinkin, and going to the bathroom fine... so far.
M3P
M3P

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 3/13/2012, 6:00 pm

M3P wrote:

the vet had said to try the antibiotics up until friday and if the blood was gone then it was just a uti...but if it doesnt go away we will have a xray and culture set up....

Bad advice right there, in my opinion. UTI's can be notoriously hard to get rid of, it not treated for the proper amount of time. If you started abx today, and only continue through friday, then you will not have even hit 10 days of treatment, which is standard.

At the very least, she needs a recheck one week after meds are done in order to confirm you really did eradicate the infection. Not a bad idea to check again a month later too.

Sometimes the blood is not visible, but the infection is still there. Not once have I ever seen blood in Tobey's urine, but she has had some bad infections.

Good luck! I am glad you got the meds to start.
Renee
Renee

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 3/13/2012, 7:13 pm

Yup to what Reneé said. I am fostering a pug girl for our rescue who has bladder stones (struvites), and she still had a bladder infection after the first round of treatments. The bladder stones are slowly breaking up with the prescription food. She is halfway thru a MONTH's worth of Clavamox, and then I have to wait a week then take her in to get rechecked.

Often bladder issues take time... Blood in urine.. uti or stones help! 335895 Hugs to your girl.
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  M3P 3/21/2012, 3:53 am

Daffney's Update...

1st visit

(Friday)Blood & Urine testing unknown results as office closed (stupid vet)

(Monday)Anti-biotics (Clavaseptin 50mg) 2 pills twice/day (56 pills in total)

(Following week)

(Tuesday) X-rays...

$600 later my poor Daffy girl has a bladder stone...:( I'm so sad for her
As of today she is now on a strict vet Hills S/D Dissoultion canned food & distilled water diet (2/3 of a can/day)

AND SINCE SHE'S A PUG SHE THINKS SHE'S STARVING!!!! :(

The type of stone was unknown and because the x-ray only showed a single smooth (egg like stone)

Our vet suggested 4-6weeks on the new diet and HOPEFULLY It is a struvite stone and her stone will disintegrate & dissolve... and then a follow up xray.

NEXT STEP would be a Urine culture and ultrasound witch would cost $500

Otherwise we are looking at an additional $1200 to remove the calcium oxalate stone and her 2nd stomache surgery in 2 years... :'(

Im Stressing Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
M3P
M3P

Back to top Go down

Post  ocnside 3/21/2012, 8:29 am

Oh my I hope you have pet insurance, everytime I read something like this I thank God I have it, let's hope it is the right one.

On another note, I am sorry you are going through this Blood in urine.. uti or stones help! 759891
ocnside
ocnside

Number of posts : 718

Back to top Go down

Post  leslyeb 3/22/2012, 11:18 pm

You may not need a full bladder surgery. Females can often have their bladder filled with a sterile fluid then squeezed out which clears depress and stones. Before having surgery, I would check with one of the teaching hospitals or specialty vets. Chyna was able to have this procedure verses full badder surgery
leslyeb
leslyeb

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 3/22/2012, 11:34 pm

leslyeb wrote:You may not need a full bladder surgery. Females can often have their bladder filled with a sterile fluid then squeezed out which clears depress and stones. Before having surgery, I would check with one of the teaching hospitals or specialty vets. Chyna was able to have this procedure verses full badder surgery

yes, we've done this in rescue, a hydropulsion procedure. It worked too.
Renee
Renee

Back to top Go down

Post  CSollers 3/23/2012, 8:20 am

Time for a new Vet!!!
CSollers
CSollers

Number of posts : 376

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow 3/23/2012, 10:04 am

CSollers wrote:Time for a new Vet!!!

Ay ay ay, I agree! I'm not much for the trial and error method of veterinary medicine. Your vet seems to be taking the lazy (and potentially more expensive) way out.

Find out what the pH of the urine is - the vet should have this or you can do it yourself with pH testing strips. If the pH is high (above 7.2), there is an almost certainly that it's struvite. If the pH is low (below 5.5), you could be dealing with the more problematic calcium oxalates. A urinalysis will tell what type of stone you're dealing with.
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 3/23/2012, 6:13 pm

I agree that you need a new vet. The one you have seems to be taking the shotgun approach - try everything and something will work. Hugs to your little girl, and good wishes for your bank account.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down