Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kennel Cough

+7
leslyeb
pugasaurus
TNPUGMOMOF3
ocnside
Renee
SacramentoPugs
Miss Pugg
11 posters

Go down

Kennel Cough Empty Kennel Cough

Post  Miss Pugg 4/2/2012, 12:37 pm

I hope someone can help my friend with a 6 mo. old, 5 lb. Morkie (sigh). She has had kennel cough for about a month now and her vet has taken her off antibiotics, says to bring her in in JUNE. She was given nothing to sooth her throat. Biscuit is to be kept quiet. Does anyone have an idea what the novice owner can give Biscuit to soothe her throat? I think the vet wasn't very helpful but after three trips to him, the owner is discouraged about her little black baby. Biscuit has to be one of the cutest dogs in existance but why do people breed and buy these tiny tiny squirts? Oh yes, the vet spayed her when she was only 2-3 lbs. and 3 months old. This is a typical puppy mill product, I believe, and the vet said something about later going in for some kind of a surgery on her throat. In the meantime, Biscuit continues to cough. Thanks for any advice!!!
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Kennel Cough Empty Re: Kennel Cough

Post  SacramentoPugs 4/2/2012, 1:22 pm

She could ask her vet about giving Robitussin DM (the cough suppressant kind) at a dosage of .5 to 1 milligram per pound every 6 to 12 hours as needed. It should quiet the cough and allow her throat to heal a bit. But definitely double-check with the vet before giving any kind of over-the-counter medication.

My vet recommended it when my last foster's kennel cough was particularly bad, and it worked wonders -- he was barely sleeping because of the coughing, and he was finally able to get a good night's sleep, which I think speeded up his healing.
SacramentoPugs
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 4/2/2012, 1:53 pm

Time for a new vet.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  ocnside 4/2/2012, 2:44 pm

Seriously??? Absolutely time for a NEW VET!!! If someone/particularly a vet could not help my Puppy Julian, for KC, after I raised holy hell I'd be at a new vet!
ocnside
ocnside

Number of posts : 718

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 4/2/2012, 4:56 pm

It is a virus and if there is no infection the antibiotics won't help anything. The people over the counter Robitussin does work and I have given it to may a pug who had kennel cough. Works pretty good, depending on the severity, you may have to dose 2/3 times a day to soothe the cough enough to allow the irritation to lessen.
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  pugasaurus 4/2/2012, 6:39 pm

I've had good luck with Robitussin too. I just sucked it in a syringe and dribbled it into their mouths. It did help the coughing.
pugasaurus
pugasaurus

Number of posts : 1117

Back to top Go down

Post  leslyeb 4/2/2012, 6:51 pm

I would find a new vet immediately. If the coughing is bad, it could be that the little one needs some narcotics to help calm the muscles in the throat. Also, if the baby continues to cough, and infection in the throat can occur. Also, there could be a more serious reason for the coughing. Either way, the current vet does not seem to care very much.
leslyeb
leslyeb

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post  elisemarie 4/4/2012, 7:17 pm

Any vet who would tell me to wait until June would be an ex-vet real fast.
elisemarie
elisemarie

Number of posts : 296

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 4/5/2012, 6:27 pm

elisemarie wrote:Any vet who would tell me to wait until June would be an ex-vet real fast.
No kidding. All that vet would ever see of me is the back side going away. Leslye is right, this is not something that can wait for two months.Kennel Cough 253213
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  CSollers 4/5/2012, 6:47 pm

"Come back in June" is unreal advice from a supposed professional care giver. At least the vets attitude has been exposed with a less serious issue.
CSollers
CSollers

Number of posts : 376

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 4/5/2012, 8:55 pm

I've used honey and had that help with coughing. And IF the KC has become bacterial, I've found Baytril worked when most antibiotics don't, but others are right--KC can be viral or bacterial and if it is viral, antibiotics won't work.

I'd think about may be trying to boost the dog's immune system a bit as well.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down