Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Viv has a few issues, UPDATE at the end

5 posters

Go down

Viv has a few issues,  UPDATE at the end  Empty Viv has a few issues, UPDATE at the end

Post  Guest 7/4/2012, 7:34 am

Viv's anal glands have been getting full more often than normal,they used to be an issue once or twice a year now it's about every three months, they are never completely full, just half or just one might be half full. Don't know what to do to prevent this, I've done some research but not coming up with to much.

The other issues is her tail is down quite a lot, when she gets out of bed her whole body is hunched over and her tail is down, at first I thought she was depressed due to all the changes but this had been going on a for a while now. I can snap her out of it by talking to her and petting her then she comes to life. I've had her to the vet a few times and they are not finding anything. She turned 8 this yr, could it just be that she is getting older?

She is still a pretty happy girl, I woke up this morning to her tongue in my face and her tail wagging happy that she just woke me up.

UPDATE, 7/11/12

The vet didn’t do a x-ray she was so hyper there was no way he could get her to relax but he did a full exam and didn’t see anything that would indicate a problem.

He said if we did want to do the x-ray he would have to sedate her a bit so he could get her in the positions he wanted.

We did another UTI test to rule out a bladder infection which was clear.

He put her on an antibiotic for her lip, she has a pimple (we think) that took on a life of its own, if it is just a pimple the antibiotic will make it go away if not he will have to do a biopsy.

I’m on vacation next week, when I get back I think I do want to have the x-ray done, she should not be walking around with her tail down as much as she is.

Last edited by Donna on 7/11/2012, 8:06 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Viv has a few issues,  UPDATE at the end  Empty Re: Viv has a few issues, UPDATE at the end

Post  Snifter&Toddy 7/4/2012, 8:07 am

No ideas about the anal glands other than pumpkin if you don't already use that.

I wonder if the tail down/hunching could be a sign of arthritis?
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Viv has a few issues,  UPDATE at the end  Empty Re: Viv has a few issues, UPDATE at the end

Post  Guest 7/4/2012, 8:33 am

Snifter&Toddy wrote:No ideas about the anal glands other than pumpkin if you don't already use that.

I wonder if the tail down/hunching could be a sign of arthritis?

I do the pumpkin. I was thinking it might be the beginning of arthritis, her whole body is just hunched over when she gets out o bed, kinda like I feel most days!

I do give her glucosamine once a day.

Back to top Go down

Post  lisamak 7/4/2012, 10:15 am

Pet Naturals makes a great product for anal gland issues - called Scoot Bars. Its pumpkin + a couple other active ingredients that help maintain the digestive tract so might help more than plain pumpkin (I haven't used them but use a lot of their other stuff and like them). I usually get their stuff at Entirelypets.com, I'm sure if you google you can find 'em.

As for the stiffness it certainly could be arthritis starting, though at 8 I'd hardly say she was starting to get old (she didn't glare at you for that LOL?). What glucosamine supplement are you using? I use ENP (its a liquid). I've got a 13 year old that still runs like a puppy and a 14 year old that doesn't move that fast but he still moves any way he likes (even with old injuries that were never treated including torn ACL, backwards knee cap and more). If you can't identify what exactly is causing the stiffness, a yucca supplement might help (you can find in prepared form a number of ways - I usually recommend Honest Kitchen's Lithe tea as its easy to add to food every day). Helps with pain and inflammation and is usually recommended for arthritis, injury recovery, etc.
lisamak
lisamak

Number of posts : 160

http://www.mydogcatering.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 7/4/2012, 7:45 pm

Thanks for the info Lisa, I'm going to check both of them out. The supplement I'm giving Viv is from Dr Fosters and Smith, I think it's called Joint Care 2. I do notice when she runs her legs are very straight, where when Stewie runs he almost gallops. I know 8 isn't old but it is the other side of young!

Hopefully it's nothing but anything I can do to help I'll give it a try.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 7/4/2012, 8:26 pm

Isn't that the same behavior she demonstrated when she had the last UTI?
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 7/4/2012, 9:10 pm

Rebecca and the Pugs wrote:Isn't that the same behavior she demonstrated when she had the last UTI?

Slightly different. She did get re-tested recently when she was done with her second round of antibotics, she is clear of her UTI.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 7/4/2012, 10:45 pm

I was just wondering. Peachy would get the all clear, and they would come right back. Our vet finally put her on a daily antibiotic, and that seems to be helping, plus she is on an additional medication for the kidneys.
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Back to top Go down

Post  puglover22 7/4/2012, 11:39 pm

I'd try a chiro, when Louie or Juniors back was bothering them their tail would hang down
puglover22
puglover22

Number of posts : 608

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 7/5/2012, 6:12 am

lisamak wrote:(? I use ENP (its a liquid). .

where do you get this from?

Back to top Go down

Post  lisamak 7/5/2012, 8:32 am

Donna wrote:

We actually sell it at the shop I work at sometimes so I grab it there. It comes in 2 formulations, 1 for small dogs like pugs (has a yorkie on the cover) and 1 for big dogs (has a golden on the label). It should be available somewhere like Amazon, Entirely Pets or Only Natural Pet Store. If you can't find it and want to try it you can paypal me and I can pop a bottle in mail to you. Another good one you might be able to find with a little greater ease is the Liquid Health K-9 5000, that one I know is at Amazon (we carry that in the chain and I've compared the labels and is pretty much the same with some proprietary ingredient differences).

lisamak
lisamak

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 7/5/2012, 8:54 am

lisamak wrote:
Donna wrote:

We actually sell it at the shop I work at sometimes so I grab it there. It comes in 2 formulations, 1 for small dogs like pugs (has a yorkie on the cover) and 1 for big dogs (has a golden on the label). It should be available somewhere like Amazon, Entirely Pets or Only Natural Pet Store. If you can't find it and want to try it you can paypal me and I can pop a bottle in mail to you. Another good one you might be able to find with a little greater ease is the Liquid Health K-9 5000, that one I know is at Amazon (we carry that in the chain and I've compared the labels and is pretty much the same with some proprietary ingredient differences).

thanks

I do have another question, should I take Viv to my regular vet and have xrays or go straight to a chiropratic vet?

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 7/5/2012, 9:27 am

Donna wrote:I do have another question, should I take Viv to my regular vet and have xrays or go straight to a chiropratic vet?

Donna, I personally wouldn't let a chiropractor touch my dog without having x-rays done first and getting an opinion from my regular vet. Chiropractors can be great, but you need to know what's going on before someone starts manipulating the spine.
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 7/5/2012, 9:42 am

I agree with Rachel. My holistic vet has a copy of Peachy's medical record, and has viewed her x-rays, and consulted with her primary vet. Her holistic treatments are done at her regular vet clinic, so they can co-treat her.
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 7/5/2012, 9:54 am

thanks, off to make her an apt with her reg vet for xrays.

edited to day - I got her an apt for next Tuesday, one thing they did say is if they can't get her in the position they need they might have to tranquilize her, does that sound right?

Back to top Go down

Post  lisamak 7/5/2012, 11:32 am

A regular vet should be able to do a fairly thorough range of motion test to see if/where she may be sensitive, but I think you've had this done already? I don't think tranq-ing her for an x-ray is the right way to go as it seems they could cause discomfort positioning her correctly (just MHO).

I wouldn't do a chiropractor, I'd look for a vet that specializes in mobility/rehab. We have a great one here near Boston (Dr. Suzy Starr, Paws in Motion Vet). If you can't find someone like her locally I can ask her if she knows anybody in your area - I've known her for years and am working with her currently for Yoda the rescue pug with DM.

lisamak
lisamak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down