Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

?? Reverse Sneezing ?? Worried about our boy ...

5 posters

Go down

?? Reverse Sneezing ?? Worried about our boy ... Empty ?? Reverse Sneezing ?? Worried about our boy ...

Post  Banditsmom 8/16/2012, 8:31 am

Good Morning,

My husband and I have been privlidged to have Bandit be part of our family these past 8 months since we rescued him. We feel blessed to have him as part of our family and frankly he has us wrapped around his little paw! Well, about 4 months ago Bandit really scared my husband with something we think was a reverse sneezing episode. Since then, nothing like that has happened, at least that we have seen. Last week we went on a road trip (the 3 of us), from Florida to Pennsylvania to meet Bandits grandparents and then back down through North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, Georgia, and home. During that trip Bandit had one of those episodes with me. I was so scared, and didn't know what to do for him. It sounded like he was choking,,, for quite awhile (at least 2-3 minutes). All I did was take off his harness and just try to comfort him. Afterwords he was very thirsty. We arrived home this past Friday and well since we have been home I have seen this happen now 4 more times. In fact, he woke me up this morning doing it again. How do I know if this is in fact reverse sneezing? What can I or should I do for him? What causes this? Do I need to take him to the vet? He seems to be sneezing a bit more than normal (regular sneezing) the past couple of days, like he might have a cold but I don't know how to know or tell if that is the case. Last night after it happened, he just layed on the end of the couch away from me (this is totally NOT normal as he loves to snuggle and he was not in the mood at all). Should I be concerned that this seems to be increasing in frequency? We are totally lost and feel helpless! We hope he is ok. My husband travels, but we discussed this and he feels I should take him to the vet, so I have called first thing this morning but waiting to hear back as to if I can bring him in today. He has become part of our family and we are so worried! We are new parents to him and we have never been exposed to pugs, but we just love him! Any input, suggestions, comments, knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely ... the very worried parents ... Banditsmom & Dad! Crying or Very sad
Banditsmom
Banditsmom

Number of posts : 43

Back to top Go down

?? Reverse Sneezing ?? Worried about our boy ... Empty Re: ?? Reverse Sneezing ?? Worried about our boy ...

Post  Snifter&Toddy 8/16/2012, 9:30 am

Seasonal pollens could be causing irritation which may increase the episodes.

If you can get a video of him doing it that would help the vet.

Mind do not like to be very near me when they have a reverse sneeze so I just stay close without touching them unless they seem to be in terrible distress.

If it is reverse sneezing it looks and sounds a lot worse than it is. However if you think he may be sneezing normally too it is probably best for the vet to check him over.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

?? Reverse Sneezing ?? Worried about our boy ... Empty Re: ?? Reverse Sneezing ?? Worried about our boy ...

Post  Pugsaunt 8/16/2012, 6:53 pm

I echo what Bella said. Even now, when Penny does a reverse sneeze, it still scares the crape out of me. Please let us know what the dogtor says.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly 8/17/2012, 8:45 am

Here is a link to a u tube video of a pug mix reverse sneezing. When my Tilly does it, I hold her in my arms on her back and stroke her throat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdPUX8mnFE4&feature=related
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 8/17/2012, 8:58 am

Only 1 of my pugs reverse sneezes much. I remember reading that they don't open their mouth while it's happening and if you can get their mouth open, it will stop. So I offer Matilda the smallest piece of something wonderful to eat and that helps stop it. Sometimes it takes 3 little pieces of wonderful to stop it entirely. Wink
akc0104
akc0104

Number of posts : 1742

Back to top Go down

?? Reverse Sneezing ?? Worried about our boy ... Empty Reverse Sneezing ...

Post  Banditsmom 8/17/2012, 10:48 am

Thank you all for your responses. I watched the you tube video and a couple of more, and I am sure he is reverse sneezing at this point. Though it still scares me, at least I know what it is for sure. When it happens I try to pet him gently under under his throat and talk calmly to hopefully soothe him a little. I am not able to open his mouth but I will try the tasty treats to see if that works.

Now we just need to figure out why it is happening all of a sudden and so often. The last two days he wakes me up early in the morning with this. I am thinking he has a cold, as he is sneezing (regular sneezes, not reverse) alot more than usual as well. We have a dogtor appointment on Monday just to be sure.

Thank you all again for your insight and support. It is greatly appreciated.

Kimberly (aka Banditsmom)
Banditsmom
Banditsmom

Number of posts : 43

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down