Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone with experience with pug and CAT??

+5
SacramentoPugs
Winston's Mom
northernwitch
akc0104
destanie101
9 posters

Go down

Anyone with experience with pug and CAT?? Empty Anyone with experience with pug and CAT??

Post  destanie101 11/4/2012, 10:40 pm

I SUCK at checking here ( I do stalk religiously though)....but anywho...

For about the last month I've been volunteering at the local Humane Society and up until this week I've been a fantastic little girl and managed to NOT bring anyone home with me (much to DH's relief)....well....this sweet little kitten was abandoned..its OMG cute (and I'm so NOT a cat person). Its solid grey with little white feet...such a docile little personality.

Its going to the vet on Wednesday and that night, he's coming home with me. Already got food, litter (and box) and toys...and a little cat tower thing for "scratching"...so I think I'm set...except for one small thing....

the Frank-monster...who's for the most part (other than a few "sleepovers" and transports) has been an "ONLY Child".

ANY recommendations on how to "introduce" him to this new "family member"? OR suggestions on how to keep 1. Franklin from EATING said kitten and 2. keeping the kitten from hurting Franklin (I am worried about the kitten scratching an Pug eyeball).

***I will post pics of new kitty when he gets here** his Name is "Beans" ---Blame the DH...was his idea)
destanie101
destanie101

Number of posts : 303

https://www.facebook.com

Back to top Go down

Anyone with experience with pug and CAT?? Empty Re: Anyone with experience with pug and CAT??

Post  destanie101 11/4/2012, 10:43 pm

P.S...please reply here and NOT on my facebook page...the new kitty is a "down low" sort of thing at the moment. (lol).
destanie101
destanie101

Back to top Go down

Anyone with experience with pug and CAT?? Empty Re: Anyone with experience with pug and CAT??

Post  akc0104 11/6/2012, 12:47 am

I can tell you what we did when we adopted a 3 month old kitten this summer.

First we picked a room that was "hers" and the dogs were not allowed in there. Put up a baby gate and all of her necessities in that room. I wanted her in a room where she'd be around us a lot. In our house that was my son's bedroom. He lives in there Rolling Eyes so she got plenty of attention.

After a few days we'd leave the door open, gate up and let the dogs and the kitten check each other out. I will say that she did not like the dogs at all and would hide.

Then I'd let the calmest, gentlest of the dogs (lab Maggie) in there to sleep at night. The 3lb cat would hiss and carry on and 100lb Maggie barely batted an eye. But over a few nights the kitten was used to it. Not happy, but used to it.

Then I would let the pugs visit in the room one by one on a leash. Not right up to the kitten, but in the same room. At other times, I'd put the pugs in the kitchen and take the kitten to the living room where she could see them.

Around the 14 day mark, the kitten jumped over the baby gate and started to slowly check out the house and then would run back to her room for safety. And the rest is history.
akc0104
akc0104

Number of posts : 1742

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 11/6/2012, 1:08 pm

Yep. Make sure kitten has a place to escape to without being bothered by the dog. think about keeping cat claws kept trimmed. Keep an eagle eye on Franklin and discourage his more rambunctious play with the kitten.

Most of the time, it works out in my experience. Look at Sonny and the pugs.....
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Winston's Mom 11/6/2012, 6:40 pm

My girls have always been fine with cats. The cat's were more offended than the pugs. There was some hissing and spitting. Pugs were very offended that they had the audacity to hiss at them.

Kitties had a room to themselves to get away from pugs. Baby gate kept nosy pugs at bay when kitties wanted alone time.

It took a few weeks for the hissing and spitting to stop, but now they are all fine together. It was actually harder getting to kitties to be nice to each other than any kitties and the pugs.
Winston's Mom
Winston's Mom

Number of posts : 244

Back to top Go down

Post  destanie101 11/6/2012, 8:54 pm

Thanks you guys!! "Beans" is going in the morning to be neutered and then coming home tomorrow night!! I'm pretty excited.....a little "WTF" at the price of cat litter and cat 'accessories" but what can you do? LOL

I still have a baby gate from when Franklin had to be corralled in certain rooms when he was being housetrained, so I'm thinking of putting it up in the hallway that way Beans has the hall, the bathroom (where his litter box is going) and the bedrooms to 'escape' to. He's not an itty bitty kitten, he's about 5-6 months old, he seems to do alright when brought around the dogs at the shelter, so I'm hoping for a smooth transition to Franklin once he comes home tomorrow!!

Anyone know a "good" cat food? That's not overly expensive? I bought a small bag of friskies just to tide us over for a little while, but I figure since Franklin eats the "good" stuff, Beans should get it too :)
destanie101
destanie101

Back to top Go down

Post  SacramentoPugs 11/6/2012, 9:20 pm

I've always had a cat while having pugs (one cat at a time). Only one of the cats ever came into the home and said, "Oh, look, a dog! Yay!"

But none of the cats ever took longer than a week, two at the most, to figure out that my pug was A) nothing to fear, and B) incredibly stupid by cat standards.

Always have had harmony between pug(s) and cat. I bet you will too. Congratulations on the imminent arrival of Beans!
SacramentoPugs
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 11/7/2012, 11:08 am

I've been giving Leila Blue Buffalo kitten - it's about $20 a bag at petsmart but lasts her several weeks. However, her poop stinks! I know cats smell worse than dogs, but it's soooo bad. Anyone with experience with pug and CAT?? 6260 Like run us out of the house bad. I don't know what else to do except try a different food.
akc0104
akc0104

Number of posts : 1742

Back to top Go down

Post  Winston's Mom 11/7/2012, 6:15 pm

I feed mine Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Salmon and Green Pea. This is grain free. My cats have all done well on it.
Winston's Mom
Winston's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 11/7/2012, 9:34 pm

Winston's Mom wrote:I feed mine Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Salmon and Green Pea. This is grain free. My cats have all done well on it.
Kellie has her cat, Bug, on the LID salmon and green pea, and Bug's poop is much better - both in amount and odor. She was on the Kirkland chicken and rice, and her poops were, well, stinky.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Imon 11/8/2012, 9:23 am

The only other thing I'd suggest (and you might be past this by now) is to give them each a towel or blanket that the other has curled up on so that they can get used to each other's smells in their own time. Then, when they meet face to face, they will recognize the familiar smell and it may make it easier for them both. I've always heard that this is a good way to get a dog used to a new baby (not so much the baby to the dog!) so that it will regard the baby as a "friend" when the parents bring it home.

But it sounds as if they are doing fine on their own!
Imon
Imon

Number of posts : 1898

Back to top Go down

Post  Winston's Mom 11/8/2012, 3:16 pm

Nancy,

That Salmon and Green Pea has been the best. I started on the Duck and Green Pea as I had a kitty with weird allergy/immune issues. She did really well on it for a while and then not, so I switched to Salmon. She did great on that.

I lost her about a year ago and I have kept my others on it. My Bengal's coat is beautiful. Really shiney. I free feed her and she keeps an even weight on it also.

It is not too terribly pricey and it is grain free. I tried Raw on my kids and it really messed up their tummies. Tried it on the pugs and the cats. We had terrible poopies on that. Just did not work. Pugs get Venison or Bison & Sweet Potato LID and they have done great!
Winston's Mom
Winston's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 11/8/2012, 8:22 pm

Bug's fur is like white/tortie/calico velvet since she got on the Salmon and Pea LID food. Both Kellie and I are all about grain free food for our critters - we've talked about everyone on our courtyard into switching their dogs/cats/ferret (yes!) to grain free, and everyone is happy, especially the critters and the groundskeeper who doesn't have to pick up as much poop. Although there is one Old Roy holdout.Anyone with experience with pug and CAT?? 253213
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  SacramentoPugs 11/8/2012, 9:41 pm

Pugsaunt wrote:Although there is one Old Roy holdout.Anyone with experience with pug and CAT?? 253213
"Muh dawg's bin eatin' food frum the Walmart fur years 'n he's jus' fine."

One in every group, isn't there? Wink
SacramentoPugs
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 11/9/2012, 3:27 am

A lot of things have been covered so far, so I'll just add a few tidbits from my massive cat-2 pug household.

Some dogs LOVE cat poop. Beware of the access to the litter box. (Cats are carnivores and their poop is meaty goodness.) Yuck.

Getting a kitten used to having their claws trimmed will be a godsend in a year. And, trim nails will save you from tiny perforations all over your stomach when your kitten "makes biscuits" on your stomach, arm, boobs, etc.

I feed primarily wet food to my cats. Cats don't naturally drink a lot of water and if a male cats gets a urinary crystal blockage, it can kill them in 24-48 hours. Feed wet food (with a side snack of urinary tract dry) wet has prevented crystals in my ginormous Sid who has had several bouts previously.

I have been feeding Wellness (mostly because it comes in very large cans and is a decent food as well), but there are many other really great brands of wet out there including Instinct, Avoderm, Blue Buffalo, BFF (Best Feline Friend) BG (Before Grains), Weruva, Halo. Cats don't need grains at all.

A Drinkwell Fountain is great for both cats and dogs. It has a filter and the water recirculates and kittens love playing in the water.

I'm not a fan of clay litter AT ALL. Sweet Scoop, Feline Pine, Yesterday's News - all are good and won't cause harm to them cat.

Please feel free to ask me anything about cats. I am quite the crazy cat lady. Wink
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  destanie101 11/9/2012, 11:19 am

Sadly the litter we bought (my sister recommended TIdy Cats "multi cat" in the big yellow box with the blue lid) because it keeps the smell down. It seems to work wonderfully as the bathroom doesn't smell from the mASSIVE amounts I scooped last night (I'm thinking Beans is getting over the crap food from the shelter...which Im' not complaining about..I'm there every day, those poor babies are lucky to eat whatever we get donated...but I CRINGE when I have to feed those babies Alpo and yes...Old ROy....). Considering the AMOUNT of litter I bought, it'll be awhile before we switch. LOL.

BUt I have seen the Yesterdays' News kind and I think there are some coupons for it. and the litter box is barricaded in the bathroom with the toys..so Frank will not get the taste of the delicacy known as "kitty box crunchies" LOL
destanie101
destanie101

Back to top Go down

Anyone with experience with pug and CAT?? Empty Pug and cat - best friends!

Post  Layna 1/1/2013, 2:23 am

A few years ago, I brought a tiny kitten home. I figured she would be a friend for our cat, and I tried to keep her away from Calvin, our pug, in case he should accidentally hurt her (she was SO TINY).

No matter how I tried, I could not keep little Mirah away from Calvin! She would climb over anything, open doors, whatever she had to to get to Calvin - who ADORED her immediately! She climbed all over him, played with him, and stole food from literally under his nose (she crept up under his chin while he was eating).

Our older cat could not STAND her - they had fights all the time.

Five years later, my ex has our older cat (she is enjoying a nice quiet retirement away from the crazy beasts), and Calvin and Mirah are still best friends.

Anyone with experience with pug and CAT?? My_lap12
Layna
Layna

Number of posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Anyone with experience with pug and CAT?? Empty Clever Cat Litter Box

Post  Layna 1/1/2013, 2:30 am

I got one of these at Petco - it is WONDERFUL. Pugs can't get in, and kitties can't track litter on the floor!

I couldn't link to it because I'm a new member, but just Google "Clever Cat litter box".
Layna
Layna

Number of posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum