Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you feed Hill's Science diet WD food?

5 posters

Go down

Do you feed Hill's Science diet WD food? Empty Do you feed Hill's Science diet WD food?

Post  LaurelPugs 6/29/2013, 11:52 pm

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone feeds the Hill's Science Diet WD food.  I have read some negative accounts of the food, but our Vet recommended it for Beebee when she showed signs of Pancreatitis.  We did it because she seemed uncomfortable and wanted her to rest her tummy.

Beebee seems a bit better and her enzyme level went down, but now I wonder why she is still so lethargic.  She eats and pottys normally but she is sleeping so much.
In reading about this Hills food, I wonder if it isn't good for her and is making her sicker?

Thanks for any suggestions or input?

Laurel
LaurelPugs
LaurelPugs

Number of posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Do you feed Hill's Science diet WD food? Empty Re: Do you feed Hill's Science diet WD food?

Post  Millie'sMichael 7/1/2013, 9:39 am

I don't use WD now, but I did use it for years and years with my girl Millie who died a couple of years ago.  I was very happy with it.  We had a problem keeping her weight in check, so it was good for that.  We also used it on the recommendation of our vet.
Millie'sMichael
Millie'sMichael

Number of posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Do you feed Hill's Science diet WD food? Empty Re: Do you feed Hill's Science diet WD food?

Post  Renee 7/1/2013, 1:06 pm

I think science diet can be a delicate subject.

I know many people, myself included, who view any SD product as the very, very last and final option...but, it does have its place and has worked wonders for some dogs with very specific needs. A friend of mine has battled weight issues on one of her older dogs, and the new SD Metobolic diet has just been a lifesaver for her. However, I don't believe that I would ever use SD as a long-term maintenance food, but rather as a short-term solution for a specific issue, if I had to.

I will say, I would only use SD when I wanted to, not just because a vet told me to. Vets have no better understanding and appreciation of true nutrition that I do, so I won't take their advice blindly. I want to know why the SD was recommended and what exactly the formulation is supposed to do, so I can decide if I want to feed it or not.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 7/1/2013, 7:28 pm

I feed Science Diet ID dry dog food to my English Mastiff. Not by choice, but it is the ONLY food he could eat that did not cause loose stools. I mean mud! Bad with a pug, WAY WORSE with a Mastiff!!! Ick! If a better higher quality food had worked, I would rather have fed something else, but hey, it works for him and he does great on it, so he's on it! It's definitely not cheaper at $90+ for a 35 lb bag!
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 7/1/2013, 11:45 pm

TNPUGMOMOF3 wrote:I feed Science Diet ID dry dog food to my English Mastiff. Not by choice, but it is the ONLY food he could eat that did not cause loose stools. I mean mud! Bad with a pug, WAY WORSE with a Mastiff!!! Ick! If a better higher quality food had worked, I would rather have fed something else, but hey, it works for him and he does great on it, so he's on it! It's definitely not cheaper at $90+ for a 35 lb bag!
This is exactly what I mean! Feeding it because of a specific need, and you know it works, and you've eliminated other options. I get cranky when vets recommend it with no other alternative!
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  ayleash 7/2/2013, 7:41 am

I too have a "gut" dog who only does well on the SD kibble... I had to ARGUE with the store CLERK that I wanted it, in one store, she was so set against it... sigh...  Now I get it delivered to my door at the correct interval, so I can overlap one bag into the next.

And I am NOW - only recently - and only a little - able to "topper" it with some, more specials foods... but it is the backbone of my boy's needs.  He was sooo miserable being unable not to squirt - and having to so often... now he is comfortable, regular, and happy.
ayleash
ayleash

Number of posts : 1496

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down