Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Freddie's not crazy about our daughter's new puppy...

3 posters

Go down

Freddie's not crazy about our daughter's new puppy... Empty Freddie's not crazy about our daughter's new puppy...

Post  Imon 6/6/2014, 10:10 am

Our daughter and her husband just adopted a new puppy (it's a Jack Russell/pug mix - I had no idea they were considering this until it was a done deal).  They don't live with us, but they visit often and the puppy comes with them most of the time.

Freddie's not interested in Stella (the puppy) - he acts a bit frightened of her, actually. He's never threatened her in any way and we make sure he has a safe place to retreat to when she's around. She's only 3 months old and still pretty small (about 7 pounds to his 21). They've met about 3 times in the past 2 weeks, for a few hours each time.  She's a typical, playful puppy, but not particularly jumpy or nippy.

Freddie lived with 2 littermates and his parents and another adult pug for the first 7 months of his life, so he's been around other dogs, but not younger dogs. I was wondering how long it typically takes for an older dog to tolerate a puppy, and if the running away from the puppy behavior is typical in the early days of the relationship.

I've been feeding Freddie little bits of his favorite food while I have Stella near me, and letting him smell her travel crate when she's not in it, hoping to build up some positive associations. I'm hoping that as he gets more used to her scent and her presence and she gets a little bigger and a little less nippy, they might enjoy each other's company, but I'd love any suggestions from people who have gone through this.
Imon
Imon

Number of posts : 1898

Back to top Go down

Freddie's not crazy about our daughter's new puppy... Empty Re: Freddie's not crazy about our daughter's new puppy...

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 6/10/2014, 7:17 am

For some reason Izzy always runs away from puppies too. I don't have a lot of experience in the area but you are doing exactly what I would be doing. We have several dogs in the family so when we get together there are always 6 or 7 dogs running around. They have all gotten used to each other and we very seldom have issues.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Freddie's not crazy about our daughter's new puppy... Empty Re: Freddie's not crazy about our daughter's new puppy...

Post  Stitch Chan 6/10/2014, 3:11 pm

When we brought home lilo, stitch was terrified of her. He would hide under the bed, or run away and hide. Eventually he came out in a fury they had one little fight, that we broke up quickly, and they have been fine ever since. He will eventually get over it, as long as you don't let them kill one another should be ok.
Stitch Chan
Stitch Chan

Number of posts : 275

Back to top Go down

Post  Imon 6/11/2014, 5:28 pm

Thank you both! Stella hasn't been over for the past week, so I don't have any updates, but I'm glad to hear that other pugs do the same thing.  Makes me smile to see Ferocious Freddie (who will bark at passing cars and heaven help the mailman or meter reader when they are on one side of the door and he's on the other!) turn tail and hide from a little-bitty puppy.  I'll let you know how this works out.
Imon
Imon

Number of posts : 1898

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down