Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should I Breed My Pug?

+5
smoochieface
PugLady3
Aussie Witch
northernwitch
Amanda
9 posters

Go down

Should I Breed My Pug? Empty Should I Breed My Pug?

Post  Amanda 8/23/2009, 6:58 pm

SHOULD I BREED MY PUG ?

Everybody loves puppies.
There is certainly nothing cuter than a Pug puppy! But all puppies eventually become dogs. Please don’t take the responsibility and the ultimate end result of breeding your Pug lightly.

If you are a dog lover, you already know about the incredible pet overpopulation problem: approximately 6 million dogs and cats are killed each year in pounds and shelters because there are no homes for them. Yes, Pugs are among those that end up homeless. Thousands of them each year! You certainly wouldn’t want any Pug that you helped bring into the world, or their offspring to end up with such a horrible fate, so make sure you know what is involved in breeding before you take the first step!

My Pug is so beautiful, I want another one just like him or her!
Every Pug, like every child, is beautiful in the eyes of their “parents” However, only Pugs that are healthy, that are what is known as the “breed standard”, and whose pedigree is known to be excellent for at least four generations should be bred. In order to be certain that your Pug is a good representative of the breed, he or she should be shown in confirmation at AKC dog shows until he or she obtains their championship. There are also various tests that should be done to make sure that the Pugs eyes, hips, legs and thyroid are healthy and will likely pass on healthy traits. It is important to also study the Pug's pedigrees to see what physical problems other Pugs in their lineage might havehad that are or could be genetic. This is not cloning, so the puppies will not be exactly like the mother or the father and there will never be another Pug just like the one you already love.

Pugs are so popular, I want to make some money by breeding my female.
This is one of the biggest fallacies about breeding. If you are doing everything responsibly, you will almost certainly lose money when you breed your Pug. With costs such as stud fees, significant veterinary bills for both the mother and puppies, food, and time off of work to care for the puppies, the cost and investment can be exorbitant.

Pugs tend to have small litters. It is not uncommon for there to only be one or twopuppies that survive. Some breeders have reported that a litter has cost them up to $4,000, not including time off of work!

Breeding your Pug can have a huge emotional cost. It is common for Pugs to require a cesarian section to give birth. It is not uncommon to lose the female during this procedure. Ask an established breeder what its like to see their beloved female Pug through a difficult birth, or to lose the mama and one or all of the puppies. It is a rare litter where all of the puppies survive. Expect to be faced with the stark reality and brutality of death as well as the miracle of birth as about 20% of all puppies in a litter will die.

There are always Pugs for sale in the paper. I’ll be able to find homes for the puppies that way.
Responsible breeders have homes for each and every puppy even before they breed their Pugs. Unless you are well “connected” in the breed, it can be very difficult to find people who will provide good homes for your Pugs. What if they want to use the dog to be a “breeder” for a puppy mill? Your beloved puppy may spend the rest of his or her life in a wire cage, neglected and bred and bred until they can no longer produce puppies and then put to death. Or worse. It is important to carefully screen all potential homes. Many states require that you as the breeder, provide a health guarantee for the puppies. If the puppy has medical problems, are you able and willing to accept the Pugs back and care for all of these dogs for the rest of their lives if necessary?

Still want to become a breeder?
There are organizations that can help you learn what it takes to be a responsible breeder and you can also meet people who may be willing to be your mentor. The Pug Dog Club of America has a list of all local Pug Dog clubs. You can find this list on their web site atwww.pugs.org. In Northern California, the Northern California Pug Club and their members can be a wealth of information. Check out their web site at www.northerncaliforniapugclub.org.

Should I have my Pug spayed or neutered?
There are many advantages to having your Pug spayed (for females) or neutered (for males). Talk with your veterinarian about the procedure. Your Veterinarian will be able to tell you if there is any medical reason why your Pug should not undergo the surgery.

All ethical, established breeders require that pet quality puppies be spayed or neutered. They do this to be certain that only dogs that meet the "pug standard" are bred, to insure improvement of the Pug breed.

One unspayed female and her offspring could theoretically produce 67,000 dogs in just 6 years! No reputable breeder wants that on their conscience.

Spay or neuter for the health of your Pug.
Since you probably love your Pug, you want the best for him or her. One of the best reasons to have your female spayed while she is young (most veterinarians recommend around six months of age, or before), is for health benefits. Mammary gland cancer is much more common in unspayed females. If you spay your puppy before she goes into heat for the first time (at about 5-6 months of age), her risk of developing breast tumors is greatly reduced.

Spaying also eliminates the possibility that she will develop uterine cancer or pyometra, which is an inflammation of the uterine area and very common in older, unspayed females and is often deadly.

If your female goes into heat and accidentally gets pregnant, you will risk losing her during the birthing process, and you will also be contributing to the staggering pet overpopulation problem.

There are no negative aspects to spaying. The female will not get fat or become lazy, these are "old wives tales".

For males, neutering the dog will eliminate the possibility of testicular cancer which is the 2nd most common cancer in dogs (skin cancer is the most common). The majority of unneutered male dogs over the age of five also suffer from enlarged prostates.

Spay or neuter for the overall happiness of you and your Pug.
You probably already know that Pugs can be difficult to housebreak. When a male dog is “intact” (not neutered) they like to “mark” their territory by urinating on it. This will likely include your property outside and often inside as well. Having your Pug boy neutered will likely help with marking, although it does take up to 45 days after the surgery for all of the testosterone to pass through his body.

A neutered Pug has less temptation to roam or to fight with other dogs. It should also eliminate his desire to get “romantic” with your guests' legs and spare you significant embarrassment.

An unneutered male can significantly contribute to the pet overpopulation problem even if he gets out of your yard for only a few hours. With his desire to roam, he may also end up hit by a car or end up at the pound. Don’t be responsible for puppies being born into a world of suffering and early death or the early death of your own Pug.

Spay or neuter because it’s the right thing to do!
You want to be a good, responsible Pug owner. That’s why you are reading this brochure, to educate yourself. Unless you are planning on showing your Pug and then breeding it, the responsible thing to do is to spay or neuter before 6 months of age. Your Pug will be healthier and everyone who loves your Pug will be happier. You can proudly declare that you are doing your best to help the animal overpopulation problem. If you really would love another Pug, please check out your local Pug rescue organization to adopt one of the many Pugs that are in need, or volunteer to be a “foster home” to a needy Pug or Pug mix.

Article courtesy of PugSavers

Last edited by Amanda on 8/23/2009, 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Should I Breed My Pug? Empty Re: Should I Breed My Pug?

Post  northernwitch 8/23/2009, 7:16 pm

That's a great article--we use it at Pugalug as well. Here's another of my favourites--a nice diagram about breeding:
breedingcycle" alt="" />
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 8/23/2009, 7:27 pm

Thanks, Blanche!
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 8/24/2009, 12:30 am

Both EXCELLENT. Very Happy
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 1/28/2010, 3:49 pm

Hey Blanche, do you know if this diagram is accessible anywhere on the internet? Someone posted to the local meet up message board that they just got a 9 month old intact male pug off of Craigslist that they'd like to "stud out". Should I Breed My Pug? 257673 I'm not very good at responding to those type of posts without pissing somebody off.
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 1/28/2010, 4:15 pm

GREAT information! Thanks for putting this out there.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 1/28/2010, 4:50 pm

PugLady3 wrote:Hey Blanche, do you know if this diagram is accessible anywhere on the internet? Someone posted to the local meet up message board that they just got a 9 month old intact male pug off of Craigslist that they'd like to "stud out". Should I Breed My Pug? 257673 I'm not very good at responding to those type of posts without pissing somebody off.
Brenda, I have it on m y computer--I can email it to you if you'd like. Just give my your addy. I haven't figured out how to attach stuff to a PM.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 1/28/2010, 6:11 pm

northernwitch wrote:Brenda, I have it on my computer--I can email it to you if you'd like. Just give my your addy. I haven't figured out how to attach stuff to a PM.

Thanks Blanche! I did go ahead and respond to the person, but it would be nice to have that diagram in the future. I think that I handled it tactfully enough, though. Hopefully they listen.
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Should I Breed My Pug? Empty Rescue A Pug

Post  Guest 4/10/2010, 5:49 pm

One of our pug rescue groups has an amazing saying that I love:

"Don't breed or buy while millions die"....

Just an opinion of course!!

Back to top Go down

Should I Breed My Pug? Empty Saving Pugs

Post  Guest 4/10/2010, 6:12 pm

Gosh, I know what you guys mean about getting upset when people want to breed their pug or any dog for that matter.... My Hop Sing is 14 1/2 now and when he was 10 his owner fell and broke her hip. She went into a nursing home and her sister turned Hop Sing into a shelter. Imagine this sweet little 10 year old pug who never knew anything but his owner, sitting in a cage in a shelter, scared to death and not knowing what was going on. Thank God for our Precious Pug Rescue here in New York. The shelter notified them and he was put into foster care or he probably would've been euthanized. That's when we got him.... 4 1/2 years later he is the love of our lives, living out his golden years in peace, enjoying being hand fed and loved to pieces. Would it have been better to get a puppy??? I don't think so... we also have Rocky who we got as a pup. We had him neutered when he was 6 months even though he is a beautiful AKC purebred with a strong history line.... PLEASE don't breed..... think about a senior or a young pug who needs a home. There are millions of them out there.................

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 7/6/2010, 3:16 pm

Again, Amanda, I am just thanking you for creating a place to promote responsible pet ownership. I have seen SO many back yard breeders, too many discarded pugs, and too many people who put their pugs in danger by breeding and not knowing what they are doing. I am so glad this place instead tries to educate and hopefully, end up helping the pugs who need it.

Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  chenchen21621 10/21/2010, 3:40 am

Hey Blanche, do you know if this diagram is accessible anywhere on the internet? Someone posted to the local meet up message board that they just got a 9 month old
pug2 pug2 pug2 pug2 pug2

Should I Breed My Pug? 128779945225614728
buy wow gold wow gold

chenchen21621

Number of posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  GAPugLover 12/4/2010, 5:45 pm

I thought about doing this earlier in my Pugs' lives, but then I decided that it was worth the risks and troubles for them to go through. Also, as other Pug owners, breeders, and lovers have told me that it would cost me an arm and a leg to raise a litter of adorable Pug Puppies. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to see what my Pugs' babies would look like. But, that is when I thought hard and long about it and decided to have them both spayed. Because, I would rather them live very long and healthy lives and be spayed rather than being bred and going through the stress of having a litter of adorable Puglets. Hope this helps!
GAPugLover
GAPugLover

Number of posts : 36

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 12/5/2010, 2:55 am

GAPugLover wrote:I thought about doing this earlier in my Pugs' lives, but then I decided that it was not worth the risks and troubles for them to go through. Also, as other Pug owners, breeders, and lovers have told me that it would cost me an arm and a leg to raise a litter of adorable Pug Puppies. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to see what my Pugs' babies would look like. But, that is when I thought hard and long about it and decided to have them both spayed. Because, I would rather them live very long and healthy lives and be spayed rather than being bred and going through the stress of having a litter of adorable Puglets. Hope this helps!

I think you are very wise...assuming that the edit I have made above is what you actually intended to write?
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down